Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I watched, too. The Wall went up the year I was born, and came down the year my oldest child was born.

I went through Checkpoint Charlie in the 1970s, visited East Berlin for a few days, and actually have a decades-long friend who escaped from the East in the early 1970s. It was very moving to watch that Wall come down.

Anyone wishing to compare it to the wall to be built on the US Southern border - don't. VERY different thing. East Berlin/Germany wouldn't let their citizens immigrate to the West. The purpose of the Wall was to keep people trapped in the East.
There's no such thing as a one-way wall. If it really can keep them out (it can't, because it doesn't block airplanes), it can keep us in.

I remember how incredibly moving it was to watch that wall come down. No free country should have a wall around it. I've believed that since I learned what the Berlin Wall was, and I'll believe that until I die.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chippin+aw...ai=-UMMJ_JNWAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Actually, you can. People who owe Federal taxes travel abroad all the time. And not only that, Americans who owe Federal taxes sometimes even live abroad. I have NO idea where you're getting your ridiculous notion.
Ridiculous huh?
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...n-unpaid-taxes
Quote:
If you have seriously delinquent tax debt, IRC § 7345 authorizes the IRS to certify that debt to the State Department for action. The State Department generally will not issue a passport to you after receiving certification from the IRS.

Certification Of Individuals With Seriously Delinquent Tax Debt
Annual Adjustment For Inflation
Taxpayer Notification - Notice CP 508C
Reversal Of Certification - Notice CP 508R
Judicial Review Of Certification
Payment Of Taxes
Passport Status
Travel
Upon receiving certification, the State Department shall deny your passport application and/or may revoke your current passport. If your passport application is denied or your passport revoked and you are overseas, the State Department may issue you a limited validity passport good only for direct return to the United States.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There's no such thing as a one-way wall.
Actually, there was - The Berlin Wall. I could enter East Berlin as a foreigner through Checkpoint Charlie. I have the stamp on one of my expired passports to prove it. East Berliners/Germans were not allowed to pass through Checkpoint Charlie to go to the West, for fear they would never return.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"generally will not" and "may not" is NOT "will not." Additionally, Americans who owe Fed US taxes already live abroad.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Walls are built by those who are terrified because of their own ignorance.
Or maybe they are built by people who are sick of paying $113 Billion a year to people who aren't even Americans.

America FIRST.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Platitudes; the weapon of those who know little.

Walls are built for all kinds of reasons. And opposed for all kinds of reasons.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:24 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Actually, there was - The Berlin Wall. I could enter East Berlin as a foreigner through Checkpoint Charlie. I have the stamp on one of my expired passports to prove it. East Berliners/Germans were not allowed to pass through Checkpoint Charlie to go to the West, for fear they would never return.

I made the crossing about 12 times during my visit.

Very exciting and very easy for those of us not citizens of that joke of a country known as East Germany.

Comparisons to anything else are idiotic, but the late East German dictator Erich Honnecker was fond of comparing it to the US-Mexico border, so these fools are in good company.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Seriously delinquent = mostly the guys who WONT pay.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Quote:
Be cautious . . . Someone may drive off in your car or enter your home without your permission.

Take good care to lock your doors.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There's no such thing as a one-way wall. If it really can keep them out (it can't, because it doesn't block airplanes), it can keep us in.

I remember how incredibly moving it was to watch that wall come down. No free country should have a wall around it. I've believed that since I learned what the Berlin Wall was, and I'll believe that until I die.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chippin+aw...ai=-UMMJ_JNWAY

Nonsense! We still have thousands jumping our border every year. So what that it wouldn't block airplanes? No one is coming here illegally by airplane anyway. The U.S. isn't the type of country that would try and keep us in. The wall is to keep intruders out. Your beliefs are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies