Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I also find it bizarre that the LGBT agenda keeps insisting that they have no rights, their rights are being trampled, discrimination everywhere ... yet the only lawsuits ... are about ... cake.

Cake.

Again: CAKE. It's flour, sugar, eggs and butter. CAKE.
I'll use myself as an example. I have gender dysphoria. There are no protections against discrimination for me where I live. That means the owner of my apartment building could throw me out simply for being trans, and I would have no legal recourse, which means I couldn't file a lawsuit even if I wanted to. He wouldn't do that, because *he is awesome, but he could. Those of us who live in states where it is legal to discriminate (because there isn't a law forbidding it) cannot file lawsuits. Any lawsuit I filed would be thrown out on those grounds.

Personally, I wouldn't file a lawsuit, because I'm a Christian, and I believe it's wrong for me to do so.

*shameless plug: He owns four apartment buildings, and he's 24 years old. He bought his first at 17 (his Dad co-signed). He's getting ready to buy his fifth. I'm so proud to know him, he really is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
[quote=BlakeJones;50943727]As far as the pro-couple crowd goes, anyone who doesn't agree that homosexuality, transgender, etc etc is perfectly normal and mainstream and should be accepted everywhere is a "hateful bigot" and called every name in the book

Then they wonder why people turn around and vote for Trump

I don't really care what orientation people have. Go ahead, do what you want live your life and be happy. But come on just stop trying to force it down everyone's throat you don't have to go around shouting "look at me I'm gay!"[/quote]

I agree 100%! Everyday I say the same thing to myself. I don't care what your orientation is, but don't shove it down my throat. And yet, everyday I see straight people walking their babies, holding hands, kissing, making googly eyes with each other. And don't get me started on the TV, I can't watch a single TV show that doesn't let me know without any doubt, the character is straight. Oh and the sex scenes! I don't have enough pearls to clutch, I swear.

Seriously, that was all sarcasm and you need to get a grip. Nobody "forces their sexuality down everyone's throat" more than straight people.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
[quote=PatDJohns;50949893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
As far as the pro-couple crowd goes, anyone who doesn't agree that homosexuality, transgender, etc etc is perfectly normal and mainstream and should be accepted everywhere is a "hateful bigot" and called every name in the book

I don't really care what orientation people have. Go ahead, do what you want live your life and be happy. But come on just stop trying to force it down everyone's throat you don't have to go around shouting "look at me I'm gay!"[/quote]

I agree 100%! Everyday I say the same thing to myself. I don't care what your orientation is, but don't shove it down my throat. And yet, everyday I see straight people walking their babies, holding hands, kissing, making googly eyes with each other. And don't get me started on the TV, I can't watch a single TV show that doesn't let me know without any doubt, the character is straight. Oh and the sex scenes! I don't have enough pearls to clutch, I swear.

Seriously, that was all sarcasm and you need to get a grip. Nobody "forces their sexuality down everyone's throat" more than straight people.
One tv show that had what I would term an "ideal" gay character was Warehouse 13.

He was gay. He told one character he was gay in a scene where a female character thought he was hitting on her. Everybody then knew it. They had an episode where he had to work with an ex-BF. They acted like any other ex-couple. His friends were protective of him to the ex-BF. They had some conversations and a goodbye. He told the other characters it was "good" goodbye (they had sex one last time).

And that was it. No preening, no drama, no stereotyping, no idiotic plot to prove how his gayness was superior or how discriminated he was. He was treated the same as the other characters, teased as much as the other characters abut his love life or lack of it.

The writers handled the character like every. other. character. His being gay was ONE part of who he was not 150% of who he was every second. THAT is how gays should be treated in TV. As PEOPLE. Not GAY people.

I don't see heterosexual couples on TV yelling and preening about their heterosexualness. They just live their lives. No social statements need to be made. Gay characters can be handled the same way.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:08 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
wow. I think that's the right decision, you can't force someone to make something against their religion. If it were an off the shelf item it would be different
I agree, buying it off the shelf and using it for your own purpose is one thing, but forcing someone to make it amounts to slavery. Good decision!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I agree, buying it off the shelf and using it for your own purpose is one thing, but forcing someone to make it amounts to slavery. Good decision!
There was no decision. The case doesn't start until June. This was a ruling on a preliminary injunction.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What really hurt was.... The gay couple forced to pay the $650,000 in legal bills the Baker occurred. Loser pays court cost and attorney fees.
Do you have a link for this or are you just fabricating falsehoods? I would find it incredibly hard to believe that the baker was awarded fees where there is no statutory fee-shifting provision, nevermind that the baker incurred $650,000 in legal fees to oppose a preliminary injunction.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'll use myself as an example. I have gender dysphoria. There are no protections against discrimination for me where I live. That means the owner of my apartment building could throw me out simply for being trans, and I would have no legal recourse, which means I couldn't file a lawsuit even if I wanted to. He wouldn't do that, because *he is awesome, but he could. Those of us who live in states where it is legal to discriminate (because there isn't a law forbidding it) cannot file lawsuits. Any lawsuit I filed would be thrown out on those grounds.

Personally, I wouldn't file a lawsuit, because I'm a Christian, and I believe it's wrong for me to do so.

*shameless plug: He owns four apartment buildings, and he's 24 years old. He bought his first at 17 (his Dad co-signed). He's getting ready to buy his fifth. I'm so proud to know him, he really is awesome.
How would someone know you are trans? Also, there are not protections for many groups, like for people with red hair, people over 6 feet tall, etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
As far as the pro-couple crowd goes, anyone who doesn't agree that homosexuality, transgender, etc etc is perfectly normal and mainstream and should be accepted everywhere is a "hateful bigot" and called every name in the book

I don't really care what orientation people have. Go ahead, do what you want live your life and be happy. But come on just stop trying to force it down everyone's throat you don't have to go around shouting "look at me I'm gay!"

So many people on both sides conveniently forget that the concept of "live and let live" is a two way street.

Gays want to get married? Fine, no skin of of my nose.

Want to force me to contribute my labor to their wedding against my will?

Now we have a problem.

Freedom cuts both ways.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
One thing that to me is different here is that the cake, and other services like flowers, photography, etc. are "contracted" services, one signs an agreement unlike ordering a Big Mac or even a restaurant meal. So, comparing the two types of service just shows a general misunderstanding of how these things work.

In this article: Kern County judge rules against State of California in case against Tastries Bakery | KBAK

It states:

"A professing Christian, Cathy Miller says she will sell gay people anything else in her bakery, but will not be made to celebrate a ceremony her faith finds objectionable. Miller and her attorneys equate designing a custom cake with speech and say California compelling speech she doesn't agree with violates her own constitutional rights."

So that is where the owner of the bakery is coming from with this ^^^.

I am not a Christian, but as someone who follows the laws of God, I realize that God gave people "free will" and that God knows one's heart when it comes to such things.

As a provider of a service/product, I would have no problem providing service/products to any customer based on my beliefs, but at the same time, anyone doing this simply to push an agenda and/or force someone to do provide services/goods for the purpose of bullying them, well, they can expect that I could not support that either.

Choosing anything for a wedding should be a joyous event and not part of an agenda. If you don't want to prepare my food, having worked in food service, I am good with that!

I think the real problem is the ones that become "extreme" about this, and both sides want to make it about their agenda. There must be a middle of the road that is determined. In the case of contracts, I suspect that will be where the decision lies.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats right! By golly if they want to discriminate against those darn blacks, we should let them!

Yeah....no.
So open an all black business that doesn't serve or employ whites....

Again.....live and let live cuts both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies