Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Ronald Reagan as President
One of the best 58 40.56%
Better than average 15 10.49%
Fair 19 13.29%
Subpar 12 8.39%
Poor 16 11.19%
Terrible 23 16.08%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,590,402 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd ask since today is his birthday and I thought I'd bring him up. Other than Trump recently, and he seems to be some ways like Reagan himself (former Democrat/Hollywood type turned Republican), having support from both Republican voters and much Democrat crossover. (Reagan actually had the biggest landslide since George Washington in his second term.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Good guy, but some truly horrible economic ideas that he signed off on. Especially increasing debt during good economic times.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Pretty good standup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3z3eSVG7A

Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
As a person he was cool.

As a president... Nope.

Much of the glaring issues of the past few decades came from his administration.

Father of the war on drugs. Proven to be nothing but a huge waste of tax payer dollars on all levels of government. True cost will never be known, it's in the trillions.

Started the shift from taxing wealth to taxing work. Leading to the slide down the slope for the middle class. Brought us the failure of trickle down.

His HIV denial cost many lives. War on drugs cost countless lives.

He messed up the middle east. First he's selling big weapons to the Iranians. Then he's supporting Saddam against the Iranians.

Short version:

If we'd skipped him and his policies we'd be far better off today. His damage has taken decades to manifest and will take further decades to undo.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 02-06-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,086,093 times
One of the best presidents ever- if there was room for one more on Mt. Rushmore, he would get my vote. Restored pride, belief, and prosperity in America after Carter lectured us with that "malaise" speech and that America's best days might be over. Beefed up the military, called the Soviets an "evil empire," refused to back down from a bully, and won the Cold War after Carter had advocated arms reduction and American concessions to the Soviets.

Oversaw the growth of the American economy, which rebounded from the miserable Carter stagflation days and roared back with a vengeance. A rising tide in the '80s lifted all boats and generated untold levels of wealth and wages after the disastrous deindustrialization of the '70s.

All while maintaining a high level of integrity, class, optimism, demeanor, and awesome sense of humor. Truly an American original. "It's morning in America again!"

Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,149,827 times
I would at present rate him as sub-par, but if I knew more about him, I think my rating would drop further. It seems that more and more objective historians feel that he was a poor president - even though gullible people loved him as "The Great Communicator." No knowledgeable person rates him as one of the best.

Like Trump, his avenue in was that he was a TV entertainer. I guess that proves what a superficial country we are.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:05 PM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Terrible. Reagan talked small govt, but governed the opposite.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I would at present rate him as sub-par, but if I knew more about him, I think my rating would drop further. It seems that more and more objective historians feel that he was a poor president - even though gullible people loved him as "The Great Communicator." No knowledgeable person rates him as one of the best.

Like Trump, his avenue in was that he was a TV entertainer. I guess that proves what a superficial country we are.
History books aren't honest about him. People for some reason are hesitant to be overly critical. I'm not really sure why. He was likable?

Reality is, a lot of our problems today trace back to his administration. He's near the bottom on the rung of presidents, pretty close to last if not last. The country would be a totally different place for the better today without him.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM

34,082 posts, read 17,134,198 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNU3aIJs88g

Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
As a person he was cool.

As a president... Nope.

Much of the glaring issues of the past few decades came from his administration.

Father of the war on drugs. Proven to be nothing but a huge waste of tax payer dollars on all levels of government. True cost will never be known, it's in the trillions.

Started the shift from taxing wealth to taxing work. Leading to the slide down the slope for the middle class. Brought us the failure of trickle down.

His HIV denial cost many lives. War on drugs cost countless lives.

He messed up the middle east. First he's selling big weapons to the Iranians. Then he's supporting Saddam against the Iranians.

Short version:

If we'd skipped him and his policies we'd be far better off today. His damage has taken decades to manifest and will take further decades to undo.
EVERYTHING this guy said. Reagan also started the breakup of the worker’s unions, supported So African apartheid, called MLK a “communist” and fostered more racial division than Trump times 10!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies