Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times

Advertisements

Of course, it's abundantly clear that the Second Amendment was actually intended to provide for the defense of the country, without any idea of allowing the wacko gun justification we see today.

But, in any case, I stumbled across a very interesting interview of a Second Amendment expert named Robert McWhirter. As you presumably know, most gun advocates try to push for a gun free-for-all based on the idea of what colonial America was like. Well, McWhirter said, among other things:

-Guns were intended for use by militias. Since America had no standing army, the men could be called up to fight a war against Indians or help in case of a national disaster.

-Guns were, in fact, heavily regulated at the time ("a world of gun control" was his phrase).

-Gun ownership was considered a taxation, not a privilege.

-One of the main purposes of gun ownership was to be able to suppress any possible slave rebellion, which is why gun owners were strongest in the south.

And he said - this was so surprising to me that I had to check to make sure I heard it right - that guns were often stored publicly, not at home.

(Can you imagine if gun owners were told: You can keep one gun for yourself at home, but anything more than that has to be stored in the downtown armory.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Of course, it's abundantly clear that the Second Amendment was actually intended to provide for the defense of the country, without any idea of allowing the wacko gun justification we see today.

But, in any case, I stumbled across a very interesting interview of a Second Amendment expert named Robert McWhirter. As you presumably know, most gun advocates try to push for a gun free-for-all based on the idea of what colonial America was like. Well, McWhirter said, among other things:

-Guns were intended for use by militias. Since America had no standing army, the men could be called up to fight a war against Indians or help in case of a national disaster.

-Guns were, in fact, heavily regulated at the time ("a world of gun control" was his phrase).

-One of the main purposes of gun ownership was to be able to suppress any possible slave rebellion, which is why gun owners were strongest in the south.

And he said - this was so surprising to me that I had to check to make sure I heard it right - that guns were often stored publicly, not at home.

(Can you imagine if gun owners were told: You can keep one gun for yourself at home, but anything more than that has to be stored in the downtown armory.)
link? i suspect he is quite wrong with his assertions though.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

McDonald v. Chicago settled that. It overturned the very first challenges to the 2nd amendment. The very 2 rulings all gun legislation is based off of and is used as precedence. Overturned.

Defato, McDonald v. Chicago overturned all gun legislation, laws and regulation, including the 1934 and 1986 firearm acts.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:42 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Quote:

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

At the time it was written, the wording well regulated quite literally meant in good working order. So for a Militia which was to be made up any able bodied person, to be in good working order, it was expected that the people responding that were a part of the Militia bring their own firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies