Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 06:37 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Now, I would be open to that.

WIC offers a range of high-quality foods that recipients are free to choose from.

Or, as others have suggested, just develop a list of fake food that can't be purchased with SNAP benefits. Why don't we do that already? Because Frito-Lay et. al. just HATES that idea, and actively lobbies against it.
I guess the thing that I’m concerned about would be things like children with sensory issues. You can say that they’ll eat what you put in front of them but sometimes that’s just not necessarily true. My daughter for example, she has sensory issues and I have tried to give her pasta and chicken. She would rather go hungry than eat it. Her diet sees a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken nuggets.For someone in a position like her meeting and relying on food assistance, it becomes a struggle

Old 02-13-2018, 06:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I guess the thing that I’m concerned about would be things like children with sensory issues. You can say that they’ll eat what you put in front of them but sometimes that’s just not necessarily true. My daughter for example, she has sensory issues and I have tried to give her pasta and chicken. She would rather go hungry than eat it. Her diet sees a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken nuggets.For someone in a position like her meeting and relying on food assistance, it becomes a struggle
I have IBS, and react badly to multiple foods. This means that most grocery store rewards programs and most weekly specials are useless to me, since I can't eat dairy or wheat, among (too many) other things. And I am borderline diabetic and have hypertension, so I have to watch the sugar and salt content of any processed food I buy. (I don't buy much, I make most things I eat from scratch.)

I don't need food assistance, but should I ever need assistance, I want to know that I can use the assistance to get what I need, not what some contractor has made a good deal on.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I have IBS, and react badly to multiple foods. This means that most grocery store rewards programs and most weekly specials are useless to me, since I can't eat dairy or wheat, among (too many) other things. And I am borderline diabetic and have hypertension, so I have to watch the sugar and salt content of any processed food I buy. (I don't buy much, I make most things I eat from scratch.)

I don't need food assistance, but should I ever need assistance, I want to know that I can use the assistance to get what I need, not what some contractor has made a good deal on.
It definitely is difficult. For example, my doctor wanted my daughter to drink whole milk instead of the 1% that WIC has decided is appropriate for her age. Even with the pediatricians prescription, wic still wouldn’t give us whole milk.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
The soda industry is not going to be happy!
Well its time to give some other cronies a chance to slurp at the taxpayer trough. You can bet Trump and his minions already have some in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing says smaller govt. than the govt. telling people what they can eat
which party is for "smaller govt" again? I forget.

Proving the GOP loves welfare schemes as much as the other guy

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
when you give up responsibility you give up liberty.
+1.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No. Just not the Prime or Choice cuts. Select is actually better for you anyway.

I like this idea a lot. Food stamp people are as a rule stupider than others. Much stupider. Their stupidity not only limits their income, it leads them to misspend the little they have. e.g., on soda.

Giving them nutritious food instead of letting them buy salty, sugary junk food will be good for them. Being stupid, they frequently don't know what is good for them.
I know you'll scurry off like the others have, who've insulted the intelligence of others for no reason, but I thought I'd ask....would you like to compare brainpans? Hit me up. I'd love to hear from you. I was a worker bee just like most here, until a near fatal kidney failure took me out of the game in 2005. My income is limited not because of lack of intelligence, but because I CAN'T FREAKING WORK ANYMORE. I was a network admin back in the day. Only a complete jerk would say someone is stupid simply because they receive SNAP ("food stamps").

Oh, Turing? It's 'more stupid', not 'stupider'

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Oh boy, another label for some made up disorder. I had to look this one up and sure enough there is something called "sensory-based feeding issues". I am sure when I had to eat liver, wax beans, and boiled potatoes back in the day my mom didn't think about such an issue. I somehow survived. My daughter used to be very picky about certain things but did not throw a tantrum and refuse to eat and go hungry.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Oh boy, another label for some made up disorder. I had to look this one up and sure enough there is something called "sensory-based feeding issues". I am sure when I had to eat liver, wax beans, and boiled potatoes back in the day my mom didn't think about such an issue. I somehow survived. My daughter used to be very picky about certain things but did not throw a tantrum and refuse to eat and go hungry.
Sure, parent my child for a week and see how “made up” it is. Autism has a whole range of issues that most parents don’t think about.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Hey Amazon has distribution centers all over the place -- they would be a great way to distribute the food packages -- hahahahahaha.....

Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Makes sense. No more spending all SNAP payments on Monster drinks, pop, Doritos and McDonalds. It is reasonable to think that recipients would be healthier. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies