Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Dane in LA

Its absolutely the same. Why mince words about something so savage and malicious. He said it because in his mind it represents reality whether his or another's he endorses it by creating it.

It's like the german who sings a lullaby to the jew as she enters the gas chamber...And again a passive and aggressive and COVERT attempt to send a message a message of hatred advocating the death of another

...just like the former president in choosing the artist. Adults take responsibility for their actions and their mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM

89,295 posts, read 45,022,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So "Kill Whitey", and images of decapitated White people just show where we are on race relations? So if a White artist depicted Blacks being lynched, hanging from a tree with the caption being Kill N*****s, that would just be showing where we are on race relations, and OK?

Please explain. I want to learn something today.
Excellent point.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 751,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you somehow miss the white people's severed heads in the paintings, blood dripping, with the knife held by a Black person?

I'll ask again... Should Trump have his Smithsonian portrait painted by a white artist known for his "kill Blacks" pieces? Would that be OK?

Ummmm...I did not miss anything. I've been talking about it, and I have seen the paintings. You are still wrong about it being a call to action. It is not.

And here's the thing--if there was an artist that depicted whites killing blacks, I would have to look at the body of work and try to understand the work. So I can't say until it happens. Do you think it will happen?

Think of it this way. There are a lot of paintings of battlefields, of executions, of trials. By viewing them, I am not advocating any of the actions. I cannot ascribe the advocating of those actions to the artists, either. If an artist paints Marie Antoinette going to the guillotine does that mean the artist was pro-beheading? He painted it, after all. No, we can't knee jerk and say, without a doubt, what the intent was. When we have statements, like we do for this artist, we can understand that he's taking something that exists in a culture and shining a light on it. It's problematic, complicated, uncomfortable. But it is not a blueprint for behavior. He is not suggesting that it is, and if you take it as a blueprint, you should not be allowed out with regular people.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 751,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
bs

Eloquently said. I'm having a paradigm shift! Wow...

The very idea that you are telling us you believe this man, this artist, is overtly telling people to go kill other people is beyond laughable, all the way to scary.

And "Kill Whitey" is a trope. It has been used in music, especially rap, for a number of years. It is not the first time I've heard the term.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Ummmm...I did not miss anything. I've been talking about it, and I have seen the paintings. You are still wrong about it being a call to action. It is not.
The artist himself says they're depictions of "kill whitey." There's just no way to sugarcoat it.

Quote:
And here's the thing--if there was an artist that depicted whites killing blacks, I would have to look at the body of work and try to understand the work. So I can't say until it happens. Do you think it will happen?

Think of it this way. There are a lot of paintings of battlefields, of executions, of trials. By viewing them, I am not advocating any of the actions. I cannot ascribe the advocating of those actions to the artists, either. If an artist paints Marie Antoinette going to the guillotine does that mean the artist was pro-beheading? He painted it, after all. No, we can't knee jerk and say, without a doubt, what the intent was. When we have statements, like we do for this artist, we can understand that he's taking something that exists in a culture and shining a light on it. It's problematic, complicated, uncomfortable. But it is not a blueprint for behavior. He is not suggesting that it is, and if you take it as a blueprint, you should not be allowed out with regular people.
This particular artist deliberately made it about race-based hatred. Blacks' hatred of whites. And Obama gleefully echoes the message by choosing him for his Smithsonian portrait.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM

90 posts, read 136,629 times
Ads are 'art' too...

Dove’s ad showing a black woman turning into a white one
Dove’s ad, since removed from Facebook. Photograph: @Naytemua

Dove has apologised after publishing an advert on its Facebook page which showed a black woman turning into a white woman.

The brand was accused of racism over the online advertising campaign and it later admitted it had “missed the mark” with an image posted on Facebook.

The advert showed a black woman removing her top to reveal a white woman underneath supposedly after using Dove body lotion. The white woman then removes her top and turns into a Middle Eastern woman.

The campaign has since been removed from Facebook but was shared by Naomi Blake, an American makeup artist who goes by the name Naythemua.

“So I’m scrolling through Facebook and this is the #dove ad that comes up … ok so what am I looking at,” she wrote as the caption.

Under the post, she was asked if people would be offended if the white woman had turned into a black woman. She said: “Nope, we wouldn’t and that’s the whole point. What does America tell black people? That we are judged by the color of our skin and that includes what is considered beautiful in this country.”

She added that Dove’s marketing team should have known better and said “the tone deafness in these companies makes no sense”.

People were outraged by this ad. Obviously innocuous but still people outraged. The ad removed.
the president of the USA chooses an artist who paints images of decapitation of white people and we're all supposed to rise above our instincts, get a little holier than thou and say it's 'art for art's sake' or some inanity along those lines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...into-white-one

Old 02-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
Ads are 'art' too...

Dove’s ad showing a black woman turning into a white one
Dove’s ad, since removed from Facebook. Photograph: @Naytemua

Dove has apologised after publishing an advert on its Facebook page which showed a black woman turning into a white woman.

The brand was accused of racism over the online advertising campaign and it later admitted it had “missed the mark” with an image posted on Facebook.

The advert showed a black woman removing her top to reveal a white woman underneath supposedly after using Dove body lotion. The white woman then removes her top and turns into a Middle Eastern woman.

The campaign has since been removed from Facebook but was shared by Naomi Blake, an American makeup artist who goes by the name Naythemua.

“So I’m scrolling through Facebook and this is the #dove ad that comes up … ok so what am I looking at,” she wrote as the caption.

Under the post, she was asked if people would be offended if the white woman had turned into a black woman. She said: “Nope, we wouldn’t and that’s the whole point. What does America tell black people? That we are judged by the color of our skin and that includes what is considered beautiful in this country.”

She added that Dove’s marketing team should have known better and said “the tone deafness in these companies makes no sense”.

People were outraged by this ad. Obviously innocuous but still people outraged. The ad removed.
the president of the USA chooses an artist who paints images of decapitation of white people and we're all supposed to rise above our instincts, get a little holier than thou and say it's 'art for art's sake' or some inanity along those lines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...into-white-one
Excellent point. The Dove ad didn't even depict the murder of anyone and still created a HUGE outrage. But "kill whitey" pieces depicting decapitated white women? Somehow that's supposedly A-OK? Not buying it.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM

25,637 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
Excellent point. The Dove ad didn't even depict the murder of anyone and still created a HUGE outrage. But "kill whitey" pieces depicting decapitated white women? Somehow that's supposedly A-OK? Not buying it.
Most people won't buy it.

That's why Dems are going to continue to lose. Over and over.
The only way to get things done in the legislature is to make sure no Dems are voted back in.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:33 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,146,332 times
Quote:
This is why WE citizens who are white treat them casually with an eyebrow raised and an awareness that they are simply not intelligent enough to get the difference. They get mad at us because they know or perceive that this is how we feel. They leave it to others to say 'nah no big deal" or "its a music rap" but what it is actually is brutal and murderous not different from any crime which takes a life. Think ISIS. But y'all just go on and say....it's no big deal.

It doesn't make any difference.

They still don't get the concept of treating people of European origin with respect and dignity. It's easier for the president of the united states lets say that again The President Of The United States to hire one who covertly depicts the savage violence they carry in their hearts as legitimate.

WE know the fact that it is their racism and their hatred and what troubles us is they do not give a whit of care for their children left to flounder marinating in a stew of racial hatred based upon lies....it's called a dysfunction for anyone who cares to know.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM

47,021 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
No, it's not.
That's a viewpoint, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies