Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:45 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times

Advertisements

It's instructive how often trying something for themselves and seeing the real thing, can change the minds of people raised on a steady diet of liberalism.

Sorry, liberals. Despite all your efforts at brainwashing, it looks like another one has gotten away.

----------------------------------------

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opi...200071384.html

How my trip to the shooting range changed how I think about gun owners

by Nicolas Colemam
February 14, 2018 01:28 PM
Updated 39 minutes ago

(snip)

Staring down the range and adjusting to the uncomfortable weight of the rifle, I tried to shake the thought that I was sharing the view of Stephen Paddock and the many other mass-murderers whose weapon of choice I was now holding. I tried to think of the soldiers who valiantly brandished these weapons, but the context was inescapable. Every squeeze of the trigger and every hole ripped through the paper target reminded me of only one thing. The gun gave me a power that felt undeserved. There was no adrenaline rush or satisfaction, just memories of headlines and climbing death tolls. But this was only part of the story.

(snip)

I did not go to a shooting range expecting to learn anything other than how to shoot a gun. It was just something new and interesting that I wanted to try. For most of my life I had been inundated with information, misinformation and political messaging surrounding guns and those who own them. It was another on a long list of topics that I was expected to have an opinion on without having any first-hand knowledge. Having grown up in a predominantly liberal environment, I was taught to associate guns with mass shootings, hicks and the ominous National Rifle Association. I left the shooting range feeling that this narrative was misguided, socially harmful and politically toxic.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
We are all happy you learned to love guns. We do need some meaningful gun regulation or something. This shooting in Florida is a tragedy. Like most others, nothing will be done because the NRA owns these politicians.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
We are all happy you learned to love guns. We do need some meaningful gun regulation or something. This shooting in Florida is a tragedy. Like most others, nothing will be done because the NRA owns these politicians.
meaningful gun regulation? what does that mean? are you suggesting there is a law that can be created that would prevent these mass shootings, and not violate, or make an end run around the constitution? if so i would love to see this law you have in mind.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
meaningful gun regulation? what does that mean? are you suggesting there is a law that can be created that would prevent these mass shootings, and not violate, or make an end run around the constitution? if so i would love to see this law you have in mind.
It needs to one that gets criminals to give up their guns.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Taken from one of the articles reporting on the latest shooting in Florida:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-res...opstories.html

and to quote:

" The suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, was taken into custody off campus. He slipped out of the school after the shooting by blending in with other students who were trying to escape, according to two law enforcement sources and an eyewitness.

-- Cruz had "countless magazines" and was believed to have an AR-15 rifle, the sheriff said. "

If this information is correct, a 19 year old can not buy a AR-15 in the first place, that is restricted to 21 and above.

So to that where did this 19 year old get the rifle? It means that either lax parents or this 19 year old got the rifle from some other illegal means.

These actions are never justified and the person who did the shooting in totally in the wrong, but lets at least be host in how the got ahold of the rifle in the first place.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:25 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Guns have been around all my life, and centuries before I was born. While there were mass shootings at various times (before my birth mostly), no one ever brought a gun inside my school to start shooting. This is not about the prevalence of guns. It’s something wrong with our culture today. I blame 24/7 news and social media, as well as psychotropic drugs. These people want notoriety, and boy do we ever give it to them.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It needs to one that gets criminals to give up their guns.

Give up their GUNS, a criminal a person who by their very actions is breaking the law in the first place, what is one more law going to do or make any difference about.

The only way you are going to get the criminal element to give up their guns is a door to door confiscation; and that action I guarantee you will start a CIVIL WAR:

Stricter punishment for crimes committed with the use of a gun and enforcement of the already existing 20K laws already on the books is a really good start.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:

Enough already. Do something about the moral decay in America. This whole thing is mental issue not a metal issue.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:40 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
There's a lot more this society could do through legal and administrative improvements to curb the ease of firearm accessibility. A lot. It's done elsewhere and it works.

I've already voiced my opinion on it, and I've aligned with the right organizations that are moving that way politically.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There's a lot more this society could do through legal and administrative improvements to curb the ease of firearm accessibility. A lot. It's done elsewhere and it works.

I've already voiced my opinion on it, and I've aligned with the right organizations that are moving that way politically.
No, it’s impossible. We are not Europe or a remote island like Australia. We have as many guns as people, and a lot of citizens who will never voluntarily give up their guns. And we live on the border of Mexico, with all those cartels that would love to add another product to their black market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies