Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:44 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Anytime an individual feels oppressed, they will fell resentment to the oppressor, the rest of their entire life.

What do you resent happening to you. What brings hate into your heart?
Probably what brings the most hate into my heart is certain types of idealism, but only certain types.

*When I see people fanatically revering what they see as "the natural" that brings a lot of hate into my heart. The way I see it, Mother nature is an evil witch who has always been our greatest enemy, and we should want to destroy her. She gave us smallpox. People had to cure that. She gave us birth defects. She didn't give us clean water. Rome invented clean, fairly safe aquaducts for drinking water that allowed a huge city to grow, but between that and not so long before modern times, some people in large cities were drinking water with sewage in it. People who are fanatically opposed to all abortion are therefore another source of hatred for me. Sickle cell anemia is mother nature's fault too. She's the real enemy, not Satan, or communism. She's the pure evil witch we could all unify to fight, exactly like the elves and dwarves and hobbits and ents against Sauron from the Lord of the Rings movies. Because I hate Mother nature so much, that also means I hate seeing people fanatically opposed to genetically engineered foods. I could understand being opposed to Monsanto, but I don't see how we could survive forever without someone creating genetically engineered foods...again because Mother Nature didn't do her job. I would approve of genetically modified foods being labeled, which was planned under the Obama administration. He signed something that would have resulted in genetically modified foods being labeled as such in a few years. That hasn't happened yet though. Hopefully that won't just fade away.

I think that's what most of my hatred centers around - the reverence for the natural. I wouldn't see humanity as capable of surviving without getting rid of most of that. I think people sometimes want some enemy to focus on, to blame their problems on. Blaming it on or minorities, or white people sounds disastrous to me. I want Mother nature to be that scapegoat. I want us all to hate mother nature. I do like going on walks in the woods, but I really, really dislike this kind fanatical reverence for the natural in which people see the natural as always better. I wouldn't mind a movement springing up that consists of nothing but hatred for the natural.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-17-2018 at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't have hate. I only wish people would dump forced collectivism and celebrate free will/individualism.

The world would be a much better place.
I'd see that as just another form of reverence for the natural, so I kind of hate that too. Now, if you're confident that would benefit the greater good somehow, that could be useful Freedom does enhance the greater good, by the way, in that it tends to make people happier, but there's of course a potential cost of that, and there is a limited amount of freedom you can to give to people before it starts causing problems, and that amount will probably decrease with time as it becomes more and more easy to design genetically engineered diseases, and the power of humanity increases to the point where it becomes easier and easier to destroy the world through mere indifference.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 AM

I also hate reverence for tradition.

I'm finding that most of what my hatreds have in common is that I hate every perspective that doesn't emphasize the greater good. That means I hate the sort of mentality in which a person arbitrarily decides certain moral codes are correct because they feel correct, or because a religion tells them so. That means I hate it when people arbitrarily decide people much strive for ultimate freedom at all costs. That means I hate nationalism glorified to the extent where we view the lives of people in other nations as hardly mattering, compared to US. I hate illogicallness. We have all our own behavioral rules that almost always put ourselves and those closest to us ahead of everyone else in terms of importance, but then we should have a secondary moral code deal with people or organisms we know less well, and I hate every version of that second type of moral code, the one that deals with strangers, that is not a consequentialist moral code. So, I understand that people will naturally put themselves, their neighbors, and their friends and families before everyone else, but beyond that, I hate every moral code that deals with the wider world that doesn't emphasize achieving maximum pleasure and minimum suffering for at least the human species. If nonhuman suffering and pleasure is taken into account too, that's nice, but that's more difficult to judge what to do about.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I’m too busy enjoying life to let other people bother me.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:10 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
I don't hate but I don't respect people who won't compromise. Compromise is the very foundation of a civilized democracy.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't hate but I don't respect people who won't compromise. Compromise is the very foundation of a civilized democracy.

I won't compromise my rights for your feelings and I expect you to treat me no differently.

Respect is not given. It is earned.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
I don't have hate. I only wish people would dump forced collectivism and celebrate free will/individualism.

So you want government privatized as much as possible. In other words, you want to pay a fee every month to have your own private police and fire protection.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Anytime an individual feels oppressed, they will fell resentment to the oppressor, the rest of their entire life.

What do you resent happening to you. What brings hate into your heart?
You're equating felt resistance to oppression with hate??

A strange human being you are.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
With you there. City-Data must be the direct opposite of a civilized discourse then, true? I think the "C" word is blasphemous here.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:

Yep, and I'll add that the liberals of today are nothing like the liberals of my younger days, had they been I'd be a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies