Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Every region of the country has lots of hunters. I’ve never been in any region of this country where hunting isn’t popular.

Here in Arizona, it’s as popular as it is in the southeast. Especially up north in the high desert.

When my father was a very active hunter, his favorite hunting trips were to Pennsylvania or Maine.

When I was a kid, hunting was done by many people in my area and often right next to the city limits. Schools would give boys a week off from classes, so they could go on deer hunting trips with their fathers. Gun shops and sporting goods stores were numerous and they didn't sell much athletic equipment.

However, this is no longer the situation here. Very few people hunt and there aren't many places they could do it, even if they wanted. I do know several gun nuts, who have large collections of firearms, but they do not hunt at all, which is a good thing, as they would be a danger, knowing nothing about how it's done.

I'm a recovered hunter, having been raised to think that obliterating wild animals and birds was a good bit of fun and sport. But by the time I was 25, I had grown and matured enough to know better. I haven't gone out hunting since and regard non-essential killing of wildlife as barbaric and done only by knuckle-dragging throwbacks to our primitive past.

It would be interesting to see the results of a study about the percentage of active hunters, who are right-wingers. Their true regard for people of limited assets and opposite social and political identities, is not much different, than how they see their helpless feathered and furry victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
1. Because many people don't enjoy killing (even animals).

2. Because hunting and gathering is not really necessary now that we have grocery stores.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Pajama Boy implies an effeminate, liberal, progressive latte drinking beta male. It came from that Obamacare add where the guy is sipping coffee, or cocoa in his onesie, with a smug look on his face. I doubt you would call Trump a beta male, nor effeminate liberal.
Actually, guys in his shape are completely neuter in my book. For one thing, they often can't do what men want most to do unless they pop a little blue pill.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Maybe because they don’t wanna take a chance of getting shot by their VP.
True. IIRC, quite a few European kings died in hunting "accidents".

Old 02-19-2018, 05:20 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Consolidation of individual family farms by agricultural corporations and posting the land to the public destroyed a lot of the opportunities people once had to hunt. That was the problem when LaPierre got hired to shill for the gun manufacturers. Their sales were dropping because of the decline in the number of hunters.

He was hired to promote personal carry and paramilitary rifles as sexy. Wayne LaPierre is the man most responsible for the problems we have with guns in America today.
I'll send the NRA $50 in your honor tomorrow. You just can't win!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I'll send the NRA $50 in your honor tomorrow. You just can't win!
One of JFK's guns used to be in the NRA museum.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Maybe because they don’t wanna take a chance of getting shot by their VP.

Or by getting fragged by his private security guards, who sold out to the mob. If you can hire a mercenary to guard you, your enemies can up your bid.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:49 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Jimmy Carter was the last great hunting President. More Presidents should set an example and hunt so the public has a more measured view of guns.

"I own two handguns, four shotguns and three rifles, two with scopes" - Jimmy Carter
Hunt for what? Food?

Burger King sends $1.00 off coupons in the mail for their Chicken sandwiches!

Now that is some "hunting" for a bargain....

Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
1. Because many people don't enjoy killing (even animals).

2. Because hunting and gathering is not really necessary now that we have grocery stores.
This is quite true since I had a friend from India and invited me to dinner and chopped the head of a chicken right in front of me.

This was ordinary to him but not me but it's a cultural thing I guess.

We Americans love our sanitized food and meat shaped patties that don't look like animals but a McNugget!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Hunt for what? Food?

Burger King sends $1.00 off coupons in the mail for their Chicken sandwiches!

Now that is some "hunting" for a bargain....

That's hunting for a heart attack, but that is a different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies