Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

Virtual School.

Lots of College Students take online classes already and VR can make it even better, especially for younger students, not to mention being able to do things not possible in a traditional classroom, like touring the Pyramids or exploring a coral reef.

Time spent "in class" would be shortened and the cost savings from not having to build/maintain brick and mortar buildings or provide security would be huge.

The technology already exists and would put pressure on internet providers to upgrade their crappy information infrastructure in many places around the country.

The only big negative would be that parents couldn't use the state as a baby sitter anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yep, though schooling is not just about the academics. It's important social development as well.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yep, though schooling is not just about the academics. It's important social development as well.
Kids would still socialize; they'll meet in VR and have real playtime with their friends on their suddenly free weekday afternoons.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:10 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Kids would still socialize; they'll meet in VR and have real playtime with their friends on their suddenly free weekday afternoons.
Socializing with people who are not their friends. Bullies and people of varying backgrounds they don't necessarily like too.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Socializing with people who are not their friends. Bullies and people of varying backgrounds they don't necessarily like too.
How is being subjected to bullies good for them? If it is (which I don't believe for a second) who's to say they won't experience virtual bullying? After all, we see it everyday on the internet!

And if education was virtual, kids could be exposed to people from all over the world, not just their local communities....

Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
It's inevitable. The collaborative functionality already existent in early VR software such as BigScreen is amazing.

School was attended through the Metaverse (Oasis) in Ready Player One (debuting in movie form in about five weeks) as well as Otherland.

I think we're still several generations of hardware and several huge leaps in adoption and societal change away from it being a commonplace co-location replacement, but the concept of using immersive technology to tele-locate is something that will inevitably be used by humans in one form or another. It's just a matter of when and what type (VR, pass-through AR, see-through AR, holography, etc.).

Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
This has already been proposed and discussed in this thread here:

A more sensible way for education.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It's inevitable. The collaborative functionality already existent in early VR software such as BigScreen is amazing.

School was attended through the Metaverse (Oasis) in Ready Player One (debuting in movie form in about five weeks) as well as Otherland.

I think we're still several generations of hardware and several huge leaps in adoption and societal change away from it being a commonplace co-location replacement, but the concept of using immersive technology to tele-locate is something that will inevitably be used by humans in one form or another. It's just a matter of when and what type (VR, pass-through AR, see-through AR, holography, etc.).
Nothing to do with ultra high tech. The Aussies have had bush schooling by 2 way radio since just after WW2, tests are mailed in or taken at a more local government building. Since the 2 way days it's been upgraded and now uses Skype/FaceTime video conferencing IIRC.

You don't need colocation for education, just some smarts and logistics, and some form of self-discipline (or parent discipline) to make sure the lesson plans are followed and work done. Hell, most labs up to HS graduation could be done at home in general, the parents would just need to provide or be provided with materials, consumables and reusables.

I'd even argue that year group socializing isn't necessarily the optimum for social integration. It solely applies for general school years, in the real world peer groups aren't segregated by age, but by interest or employment, I socialize with everyone from 80 to 8, in various interests, pursuits and occupations. The skill to interact with people significantly older or younger us a critical social skill that is stunted by typical schooling, that stratifies people by age.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:08 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Nothing to do with ultra high tech. The Aussies have had bush schooling by 2 way radio since just after WW2, tests are mailed in or taken at a more local government building. Since the 2 way days it's been upgraded and now uses Skype/FaceTime video conferencing IIRC.
Well sure, it's still along the continuum of using technology and infrastructure to erase the barriers of geographic distance. It's upgraded to Skype/FaceTime now, and it'll inevitably be upgraded to virtual presence in the future.

Keep in mind I didn't say this was something coming in 2019 or anything. We're not talking about a bunch of school children getting an Oculus Santa Cruz or HTC Vive Pro this year and logging in to the entirely embryonic metaverse as it exists right now. I'm thinking longer term.
Quote:
You don't need colocation for education...
Not really, but being able to virtually examine historical events, scientific concepts, etc. in an immersive interactive environment could be huge. The more you can migrate from just hearing or reading, to seeing, to actually doing ("doing" something anyway), the better certain concepts can take root. On the other hand, shared virtual presence could also assist in providing the structure, oversight, and cohesion of the learning environment that learners might struggle with in a more remote learning situation.
Quote:
I'd even argue that year group socializing isn't necessarily the optimum for social integration.
No real argument there from me.
---------------------
I've already been amazed by what BigScreen in VR brings to the table in terms of telepresence, and we're only getting started. My friend and I use BigScreen several nights a week now (I've also been a beta tester for the team). It lets us exist in the same “room” where we can see each other, talk, share screens (multiple ones), watch movies, play games, do things on each other’s computers, grab things and move things around, “paint” and design things in the virtual “air” etc. It’s like being able to dial someone up and co-exist in the same place and use superpowers. It works amazingly well and it’s still very very early. Some of the ideas for future enhancement are dazzling.

I'm often asked to join meetings at work that involve video. But the presence created by video only takes you so far. Very often over the past two years (since I received the Vive) I've mused that whatever meeting I was in could hugely benefit from us virtually being in the same room and being able to easily manipulate schematics and graphical representations of concepts in the virtual air, among many other things.

I can think of so many ways meeting virtually and having that freedom to show each other things and design things on virtual whiteboards and in the air etc. would benefit collaboration and learning. Once the hardware is affordable enough, comfortable enough, and performs well enough, it's hard for me to conceive of it not being used in academia, business, shopping, socializing, industry, entertainment, etc.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
This would never fly. Good idea but look at all the fund$ that wouldn’t be spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies