Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

I get that, in the case of tyranny, people might comply with tyrannical edicts out of fear and, in the case of good laws, those who might otherwise do something if it were legal wouldn't do it as they didn't think it worth the hassle.

But, on the other hand, both those who would be willing to risk harm to defy a tyrannical edict or those that are too greedy, evil, or whatever to follow a good law won't be much affected by the laws.

I do, sadly, believe that bad laws have a greater effect on a society than good laws do to reform it. I know in the Bible that the evil kings Manasseh and Ahaz really messed up the land with their evil rules, yet the efforts of Josiah, Hezekiah, and even Manessah (after he reformed) only seemed to slow down the decline of Judah, not turn it around.

So, while it can be argued that bad laws can actually strengthen the spread of evil, good laws don't necessarily stop it if the people aren't willing.

A more recent example in the US was Prohibition. While it's true that it did change the behavior of some people, loads of people defied it and it eventually got repealed. Though it did have some lasting effects (some states stayed dry long after the 18th Amendment was repealed), as far as I know, all 50 states now allow alcohol.

So how do regulations from local laws to the US Constitution actually play out if there is enough evil, apathy, and corruption floating around?

I mean, laws to protect labor from employers, laws designed to stop people from coming here illegally and also to keep employers from hiring illegals, the Constitution that was supposed to keep DC reined in, and many other things all seem to be being bypassed and ignored by evil forces.

(BTW, this debate would also concern gun control laws too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies