Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Wouldn't put it past the elites to do just that. It's the current policy of the People's Republic of China.
After robotics and AI are fully operational we will need to cut the population of the Earth drastically. 1 billion souls should be the goal in 100 years or so.

Quality, not quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 PM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
After robotics and AI are fully operational we will need to cut the population of the Earth drastically. 1 billion souls should be the goal in 100 years or so.

Quality, not quantity.
Logan's Run, the Hunger Games and Soylent Green here we come !

Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Possibly. Not so good if you are on Basic Assistance and want to have a career or education and you are part of the 15B they can't get it. Of course, if you want to live your life doing nothing, then maybe so.
I often wonder what the real point of many jobs are in the world already.

Lots of jobs seem to employ people just to employ people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Most people will be OK, but for those that want to do SOMETHING.....I think it will look more like a hobby. Something that doesn't add value, but is valued by you.

The happiest people I know don't work or contribute to society. But I have a hard time seeing myself as one. I want to make a difference. Not work necessarily, but do something.
I can't sit still for very long.

Money doesn't really mean anything to me. It's a tool. It just means I can create another business. I'm driven by creating something. These days I build buildings. At some point I'll get bored and do something else. Every few years it's time for something new.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:

Quality, not quantity.
I don't think the wealthiest want anything other than continued population growth. They get richer off of production and consumption even if that consumption has to be subsidized by those who aren't the wealthiest which is the case. Population growth is a tax on the average citizen that's transferred to the wealthiest.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:

Quality, not quantity.
And why would developing States permit the introduction of robotics and automation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
UBI is a great idea because it doesn't privilege the lazy. It gives working people the same amount that the lazy get. And there is no penalty for the lazy or involuntarily unemployed when they transition into work. The welfare benefts don't go away.

The key to making UBI work is to limit it to adults. If you want children, you will have to pay for them with your own money earned by doing something valuable.
There 250 Million Americans 18 and older. It'll cost you $3 TRILLION a year to pay them $1,000 per month.

Good luck coming up with the money.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And why would developing States permit the introduction of robotics and automation?

There 250 Million Americans 18 and older. It'll cost you $3 TRILLION a year to pay them $1,000 per month.

Good luck coming up with the money.
our annual income is over 12 TRILLION. So....thats completely doable actually. Thats not a issue at all. The VAST majority would give up 1/4th of their annual income for a guarantee of 1K per month.

But its just not the right time to do this.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
our annual income is over 12 TRILLION. So....thats completely doable actually. Thats not a issue at all. The VAST majority would give up 1/4th of their annual income for a guarantee of 1K per month.

But its just not the right time to do this.
I don't think the average American would give up 5 cents to benefit 10,000 or more Americans with a job or income. If you told Americans that you could add millions of jobs and increase wages for many, but it would cause consumer prices to rise a few percent, they wouldn't want it. That's pretty much our trade and immigration debate right now.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Nearly half of all Americans now support a universal basic income. One of the main arguments supporting it is that automation will soon cancel out countless low skill jobs and even some higher skill jobs leaving people with little means to feed themselves and that this income will let them have a cushion so to say as they find their own ways to work hard in a new environment.
Universal Basic Income sounds like a great idea, but who's going to pay for it?

Leftists love having social welfare programs as long as someone else is paying for it.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post

Leftists love having social welfare programs as long as someone else is paying for it.
What a wonderful slogan are you aware that the late Milton Friedman a radical free market economist supported a universal basic income? Sadly I fear Americans like Kevroqs would rather have the unemployed starve than pay one extra penny of taxes.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The TV program "The Expanse" covers this. It's set 300 years in the future.
  • Earth Population is 30B, single world government with localities like the North America FTZ.
  • There are only jobs & education available for 15B. Jobs & education are awarded by demonstrations of ability, who you know, luck, etc. The usual stuff.
  • Everyone else can get Basic Assistance.
  • Basic Assistance provides free housing, food, clothing, access to other needs, i.e. communication, entertainment, etc. It also grants Earth/Moon Citizenship.
  • Basic Assistance has requirements. Biggest one is mandatory contraception. No kids.
  • Millions of the unemployed choose to stay off Basic Assistance. They are deemed non-citizens but no other action is taken against them.
  • Non-citizens live outside the system, do what they can to survive, and/or leave the Earth to either migrate to Mars or the work asteroids which are mined for resources to keep an overpopulated Earth going.
Seems reasonable that it might come to this one day. Present day USA, probably not. We are not ready for it as a society.

Great series. And if I was one of the unfortunate to not have a job, I'd chose to live outside of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies