Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

I doubt that very many of the participants at this site can recall the first appearance of the"Moonies" (Unification Church) when they first turned up in rural Pennsylvania nearly fifty years ago. And it ought to be recognized that this particular faction isn't operating in "Pennsyltucky" (the southern half of the state between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh), but up in the Pocono Mountains, a place which, I can attest from personal experience, attracts people fleeing the high prices and unstable living conditions in New York, more so than Philadelphia. The incorporation of firearms in their activities probably has more to do with a superficial (and misguided and oversimplified) attempt to suck up to the locals, many of whom aren't playing with a full deck either, than anything else.

The year was, IIRC, 1973, late in the year, not long after a large Moonie "commitment" at Yankee Stadium, and not long before the late Reverend Moon would run afoul of American tax laws -- he made quite a picture, a very small figure handcuffed between two Federal Marshalls, each about the size of a house.

But at any rate, the Moonie newcomers found themselves in a small rural Pennsylvania community of about 15,000, with a couple of declining heavy industries, no college, no county seat, and no hospital facilities to speak of -- Archie Bunker Territory. So they had to try to think of something all the locals could identify with; the end result was a quote from one of my co-workers I'll never forget:

"Dem Hairy-effin'-Krishnas is runnin' around in Santy-Claus suits; Man, dat's un-American!"

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-01-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://apnews.com/34e81927d36f4c01b6d2527771d447c6

This happened in my neck of the woods today.

Isn't it special?

Now, if this was a religious organization of the non-Christian variety, I wonder what the reaction would have been.

LOL.

For some reason they remind me of the underground humans who worshiped the A-Bomb in Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well... we all know that dreams of dealing with "those people" is often one of the reasons these types marry their assault weapons, sadly. Oh, and "killing duh gubermint." So, yeah... right-wing extremists and actual diversity don't mix.
yeah, its better to just allow a tyrannical govt to run amuck!

Instead of 'Give me freedom or give me death", today its "Give me safety or give me death". LOL

Its very strange why we even celebrate past historical figures, patriots, etc. At the time they were considered criminals, terrorists, law breakers, etc etc.

I heard a co worker say something that really rings true..." if the Boston tea party event happened today, majority of citizens would be calling for those responsible to be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".

Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And it ought to be recognized that this particular faction isn't operating in "Pennsyltucky" (the southern half of the state between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh), but up in the Pocono Mountains, a place which, I can attest from personal experience, attracts people fleeing the high prices and unstable living conditions in New York, more so than Philadelphia.
Having been born and raised in Scranton (NEPA), I actually consider anything outside of Philly and Pittsburgh to be "Pennsyltucky", including NEPA, doesn't matter if it's the north, south, east or west part of the commonwealth, everything outside those two metro areas, "Pennsyltucky"!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Having been born and raised in Scranton (NEPA), I actually consider anything outside of Philly and Pittsburgh to be "Pennsyltucky", including NEPA, doesn't matter if it's the north, south, east or west part of the commonwealth, everything outside those two metro areas, "Pennsyltucky"!
Born and raised in Wilkes-Barre and I completely agree with you.

The recent influx of NYers and New Jerseyites to the Poconos haven't taken away the Pennsyltucky from that area.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
First of all, why would anyone's reaction be any different if this were a non-Christian group? What does being Christian have to do with it? Second, why is this even a problem? The guns were not loaded. The people involved were law-abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional rights under both the First and Second Amendments. Owning a gun IS a Constitutional right. The church where this took place is private property, and the administrators of this church obviously had no problem with people bringing in their guns. Why should you?

Yea, I don't quite grasp the whole "Christian/non Christian reference either. I imagine if one were to search about it wouldn't be to tough to find some non Christian ritual proceeding of some sort or another that makes this look pretty normal by comparison. And, being as it's cool to be non Christian, however bizarre it may be SJW types would be falling over themselves leaping to defend it as "freedom of expression/religion."

Personally so long as nobody is getting hurt and no threat exists I'll just mind my own business and not be minding other folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies