Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:20 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times

Advertisements

Winston Churchill. Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
This video pretty much sums up my views and how the UK and US differ when ot comes to free speech, it also has some lovely views of Tokyo for some obsucure reason.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
That's a ludicrous statement.
I actually don't think it's that ludicrous. People always like to push for laws that will punish others, without realizing that it will affect them in the future. In this case, some people want to silence the opinions of others without realizing that it will come back to bite them too.

"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."

Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you really not understand the difference between offended and threatened? I am offended by something on this forum on a daily basis, but I have yet to read anything that made me fear for my life. It is not the same thing.
Most SJWs don't seem to make that distinction...

Old 03-03-2018, 12:12 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Two years of military service should be required these days these idiot parents have these kids so messed up.
But then those kids would be running for their safe spaces. I would not rely on them to save my life if I was in the military.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What is the threat you are referring to? The thread is about leftists students freaking out when a panel agreed that men and women are different. Was that "threatening" in your view? We have also discussed "Political correctness" run amok in the workplace, with the main example being the Google guy who said women are
"more neurotic" than men, and can't handle stress, and that's why there aren't many of them in high tech'.
Are you saying that is "threatening" language? Because it isn't. Rude, yes, but threatening, no. Nevertheless, they guy was fired for saying it.
I was replying to a discussion between BNW and yourself. I have not commented on the story quoted in the original post.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:29 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
This video pretty much sums up my views and how the UK and US differ when ot comes to free speech, it also has some lovely views of Tokyo for some obsucure reason.

What the guy in the video is advocating is pretty much what the law is here in the US, where we do have laws against threats resulting in imminent danger, and that sort of thing.

However, we also have "No platforming" at many of our universities and online, which is eagerly implemented and supported by members of the Democrat left, who apparently have come to believe that free speech rights are inviolable for them and those whose opinions comply with the Democrat left's "Political correctness" thought and speech codes, but that non-conforming speech by their political adversaries is "hate speech".

The term "hate speech" here in the USA, as used by these same people, has increasingly come to mean any speech which is in conflict with these far left's "Political correctness" thought and speech codes, which must not be tolerated or given a platform, if they have the strength to impose those restrictions.

Also, as you have seen here in this thread, the absurd idea that if someone is "offended" or "distressed," that also provides leftists with all the justification they think they need to fire people from their jobs, ban them from social media, ruin or shut down their businesses, harass these people at their homes, etc., or just expect them to shut up and submit to personal preferences of the person who claims to be offended.

We are not talking about the possibility of these things happening in the USA. These things ARE happening in the USA and members of the illiberal Democrat left are the authors and ringleaders of these attitudes and these actions. I hope I do not have to tell you that this is not acceptable and that these sorts of attitudes and expectations must be rejected, attacked and pushed back against - hard.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 03-03-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
What the guy in the video is advocating is pretty much what the law is here in the US, where we do have laws against threats resulting in imminent danger, and that sort of thing.

However, we also have "No platforming" at many of our universities and online, which is eagerly implemented and supported by members of the Democrat left, who apparently have come to believe that free speech rights are inviolable for them and those whose opinions comply with the Democrat left's "Political correctness" thought and speech codes, but that non-conforming speech by their political adversaries is "hate speech".

The term "hate speech" here in the USA, as used by these same people, has increasingly come to mean any speech which is in conflict with these far left's "Political correctness" thought and speech codes, which must not be tolerated or given a platform, if they have the strength to impose those restrictions.

Also, as you have seen here in this thread, the absurd idea that if someone is "offended" or "distressed," that also provides leftists with all the justification they think they need to fire people from their jobs, ban them from social media, ruin or shut down their businesses, harass these people at their homes, etc., or just expect them to shut up and submit to personal preferences of the person who claims to be offended.

We are not talking about the possibility of these things happening in the USA. These things ARE happening in the USA and the illiberal Democrat left is the author and ringleader of these attitudes and these actions. I hope I do not have to tell you that this is not acceptable and that these sorts of attitudes and expectations must be rejected, attacked and pushed back against - hard.
People often misunderstand the purpose of freedom of speech. It's about being able to speak your mind without punishment. Not being fined or jailed for holding an unpopular opinion.

That always seems to get conflated with things like actual violent threats. It's frustrating when people can't distinguish the two.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
I say if there's no difference then lets end lightened requirements for women in every field and combine all sports and let them compete on an even playing field.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:

We are not talking about the possibility of these things happening in the USA. These things ARE happening in the USA and members of the illiberal Democrat left are the authors and ringleaders of these attitudes and these actions. I hope I do not have to tell you that this is not acceptable and that these sorts of attitudes and expectations must be rejected, attacked and pushed back against - hard.
fantastic post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies