Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times

Advertisements

Many of you blame the liberal media for their campaign against your gun rights under the Second Amendment. As a liberal I support the Second amendment so that we have some way to oppose a dictatorship from the left or right.

There are many media outlets so I will include only those companies that do the news:

GE / Comcast - They seem to have joint ownership of NBC which includes MSNBC.
Newscorp - owns the Wall Street Journal, The New York Post and FOX News.
Disney owns ABC
Time Warner owns Time and CNN
CBS seems to be independent

With the exception of CBS, most of the major news outlets are owned by a major corporation. For the purposes of your second amendment rights, CBS is very often in lockstep with GE, Newscorp, Disney, and Time Warner.

We are bombarded day and night in the corporate effort to make owning a gun a social stigma. In my personal opinion, pistols that are properly secured are important for home defense. Ideally a pistol with a chip in its handle which pairs up with a chip in a ring is preferable. In rural settings, shotguns and rifles are tools for both home defense and a defense against aggressive animals. Then there is hunting. You may not realize it but a hunter may have been responsible for the deer that you didn't hit with your car this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
This liberal media started with the Birchers and Reagan. IMO, it is corporate media and stupid reporters. Corporations are in business to make money. They give the viewers what the viewers want.

When the local news started running pieces that were nothing but PR for advertisers disguised as news, I stopped watching.

I once had a friend who was a newspaper reporter who morphed into a producer for the tv news. He said a trained chimp could do his job. The hardest part when making an assignment was teaching the reporter why it was important

Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,587 times
Mostly the bias is toward sensationalism - things that are likely to generate the most sales or gets the most "clicks" will get favored. As for political bias, I think some of the complaints (not all of them) stem from an explicit and worthwhile bias toward publishing news that can be backed up by multiple sources, scientific data, etc. In other words, good high-quality journalism could appear "left-leaning" (or "right-leaning") to some people who find that their favorite political issue is simply not very well supported by verifiable facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies