Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times

Advertisements

Obama was President for 8 years, let's just follow his accomplishments regarding gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:09 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
My point still stands - your experience may vary, but they do not invalidate my own.

And I could say the same thing to you - maybe your place is unique in having an unusually high percentage of responsible gun owners. I suspect the average answer lies somewhere between your 0% of known gun owners have serious problems and my 60% of them have such problems. Still... those numbers are NOT encouraging.

As for the "vast majority of gun owners are fine," maybe, maybe not. There are A LOT of depressed people in this nation, a lot of people with serious financial issues, many with drug problems (when you count prescription drug abuse), and many who are, quite frankly, just dumb or careless - look at how people drive, and you'll see what I mean.

My point was not to condemn gun owners in general, but to dispute the claim that they are basically "above the common man" and to remind people that gun owners are just people... and a lot of people, quite frankly, have serious problems... problems a gun would not help. THAT is my point - I'm tired of this strange belief that buying a gun turns you into a responsible, mentally healthy, dedicated patriot who fights heroically for everyone around them. It doesn't.
Forget about gun owners, the VAST majority of people - any people - are fine. The vast majority of people aren't criminals, aren't violent, aren't drug addicts, aren't mentally ill.... etc. That you seem to think gun owners, in general, are somehow different than the general population would indicate that you have some level of phobia about guns and gun owners.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:11 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Great to know gun rights is more important than dead children.
Ok, can you tell me how many of these child killers were members of the NRA?
Yeah I thought so. No facts to back yourself up so make them up as you go along.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
I like the Freudian slip in the OP's link. "NRA and gun rights groups."

Because anyone with a lick of sense knows the NRA is far from being a gun rights group nowadays.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know. There's been a few of them on here that remind us they're armed to the teeth.
I know a lot of people with guns, many own a lot. All are law abiding, nary a parking ticket, pay their taxes, raise their kids, and are nice people.

How many people do you know personally own guns that are dangerous?

On another note I see you are a camera hobbyist. As a pro photographer I talk to a lot of other pros. One time someone brought up the subject of photographing is questionable areas. I was shocked how many of them carried guns for protection, most of them were women who seemed to get hassled the most by strangers.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Let's just be honest and agree that it is standing on the graves of children to sell guns and ammo.

Follow the money.
Let's just agree that it's the far left/liberal mantra to never let a good tragedy go to waste.

Now, if you want to talk honestly, there's no empirical evidence that people who buy or own guns are any better or less likely to go on a rampage than those that don't just as there's no empirical evidence that people who buy or own guns are more likely to do the same.

That is the honest truth. You may continue your echo chamber rants now...

Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Those kids died protecting the right to stock up on as many assault rifles as the right wing gun nuts see fit.

Those kids died because the failure of the FBI....facts, I know...

Old 03-06-2018, 11:17 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
The occasional horrifying massacre is great for business.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:21 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The occasional horrifying massacre is great for business.
Yes, for the media!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Let's just be honest and agree that it is standing on the graves of children to sell guns and ammo.

Follow the money.

Good advice when those who try and convince someone's gonna break down your door and take your guns are involved too, fear-mongering can be very profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies