Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Drug addled, prostitute chasing morons get a parade because they win the Super Bowl. Why shouldn’t soldiers?
Winning championships is about civic pride.

Why don’t you people march in a damn pro military parade, complete with a bunch of dumb floats, and let military members come watch YOU march instead!! Then you’ll see what a waste of time this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You seem to think you know a lot about President Trumps bio and his family's bio. Where do you get it from? Do you have a book you can recommend? Please post it, or give us a list of your sources for your post.

I suspect much of this is a lie.

I wonder if you were as critical of Bill Clinton for not serving?

Did you serve? (And for the record, I did serve, and did two WESPAC tours aboard an amphibious flagship during Vietnam.)
If you served, then you’d be AGAINST this stupid ass parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not a deflection. It just shows the utter hypocrisy of the Left. I think a parade honoring or Vets is great. Obama doubled our debt for union paybacks, and crony corporate handouts, yet the Left is OK with that.
Again, this doesn’t honor vets. Military personnel HATE parades.

If you want to honor vets, then get you and your patriotic cohorts to come up with a parade that YOU ALL have to march in, complete with pro-military floats, and let the troops come and watch you waddle down Pennsylvania Avenue in the oppressive summer heat.

How about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The genius of this parade is that he'll have the extremist Democrats bad mouthing the military & disrespecting our veterans. It will be in the 24/7 news cycle non-stop. Its the same month as the 2018 midterms.

Kind of like his steel tariffs, union support & Pennsylvania steel rallies are genius as they may well help the GOP win the midterms in PA.
The “genius of this parade?”

Again for the millionth time, military personnel HATE parades. So you want military personnel to give up their holiday just so that Trump can make a point about extremist Democrats?

You Conservatives are one hell of a pitiable group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd like to see the uniforms on "reenactor marchers" for all US fought wars in addition to current military. It would also be nice if every state re-enacted a different war that day. I would also like to see battleships in the harbors.

I was going to say, the only thing I don't like is it being on Veterans Day (thought July 4 weekend would have been better) because that is celebrated on the day it falls on but this year, Veterans Day falls on a weekend, so that's good.
Wanna see battleships? Join the Navy or take a family trip to Norfolk.

I’m astounded that although all of you KNOW that troops hate parades, you want them to cough up a holiday weekend just so that they can entertain you and your families. But this is supposedly in THEIR honor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
No tanks ? but those are really cool. I think DC needs tougher roads so we can have tanks in the parade.
Tanks ARE NOT too heavy for paved roads, I thought it was common sense that tracked vehicles have a much larger footprint than wheeled vehicles, in other words, the weight is more spread out. a semi truck would cause more damage than an Abrams tank.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 AM

863 posts, read 796,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
A Veteran's Day Parade disrespects veterans? Keep telling yourself that bud. Watching Trump troll the left is priceless.

I can't wait for the demonstrations against the Veteran's Day parade being promised online. If there's a God, please, please, please, let these extremists jump in front of the parade route and block it as they've promised to do on twitter.

Nothing says to moderate, swing voters in states like Pennsylvania & Ohio "Vote Democrat", like attacking veterans & the steel industry.
Why is having soldiers do a parade honoring them?

How about the soldiers sit in the stands and the civilians parade to honor them.

And I am a veteran, my marching in a parade was NEVER about honoring ME, it was always about honoring someone else.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:02 AM

863 posts, read 796,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Tanks ARE NOT too heavy for paved roads, I thought it was common sense that tracked vehicles have a much larger footprint than wheeled vehicles, in other words, the weight is more spread out. a semi truck would cause more damage than an Abrams tank.
Having spent 20 plus years on M60, M60A1, M60A3, XM-1, M1, M1IP and M1A1 tanks, you have no clue what you are talking about. Tanks destroy asphalt when they turn, track pads or no track pads.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
I'm okay with trump having his ego boosted "which is what this this really about." But if he wants it HE can pay for it.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Having spent 20 plus years on M60, M60A1, M60A3, XM-1, M1, M1IP and M1A1 tanks, you have no clue what you are talking about. Tanks destroy asphalt when they turn, track pads or no track pads.
Thanks for that. All these armchair generals don't know what they're talking about.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A typical semi has no more than 34,000 lbs on one set of axles. That’s the maximum weight per axle set. They can’t be more than 80,000 lbs in total weight unless it’s hauling an oversized and permitted load.

An Abrams tank is 136,000 lbs...okay? It’s barely more than half the length of a semi-trailer alone (without the tractor), which is typically 53ft long. An Abrams is somewhere around 27 ft long.

So OF COURSE an Abrams would wreak havoc on a city street!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
LOL...it’s a gas reading some of these so called patriots talking about the military.

He thinks tanks are no worse than a tractor trailer!! Where do these people come from!!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:48 AM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Let's not make this another liberal vs conservative thread, shall we? We have fought enough. I know both liberals and conservatives, both Trump supporters and Trump haters are against this very idea of military parade.

I am against it because There is no other objective for this military parade. Traditionally, the US does not go in for this sort of thing.

unless a military parade is to celebrate victory in war, like World War II or the Gulf War, or just something along with bands and a few pieces of hardware in a traditional parade or local parade—we don’t do this, because it is a sign of weakness, not strength. This parade would degrade us, and show the appalling weakness of our leader, who really just wants to show off the size of his missile.

Look at the countries who do such a thing, Example: Russians and Chinese. They show a lot of insecurities, not confidence.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A typical semi has no more than 34,000 lbs on one set of axles. That’s the maximum weight per axle set. They can’t be more than 80,000 lbs in total weight unless it’s hauling an oversized and permitted load.

An Abrams tank is 136,000 lbs...okay? It’s barely more than half the length of a semi-trailer alone (without the tractor), which is typically 53ft long. An Abrams is somewhere around 27 ft long.

So OF COURSE an Abrams would wreak havoc on a city street!
You are forgetting the tank is a tracked vehicle. They have much less ground pressure PSI compared to wheeled vehicles. I doubt it would do any damage, there is plenty of news footage of tanks in the middle east, driving on paved roads without doing any damage.

its more about what that would look like...tanks rolling down the street, the weight thing was just an excuse they hoped everyone would fall for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies