Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

Hi I live near Rockport TX an environmentally delightful area.

There is an undeveloped area on the intracoastal waterway - full of birds and fish where it has been agreed a person can put build a house. This is low land and mostly wetland being only a few feet over sea/water level.

Which would be relative environmental advantages of
A. A septic tank with a mound on an uplands area
B. A development tank approved by the county
C. Is there an altertative way of treating sewage ( They will not build a sewer system for one house).

I have the adjoining land and hate to see anything bad happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
ocean2026 -

Many states allow 'lagoon' systems.

My land is low land and partly wetland; to locate an approved spot for a leechfield we had to pump 300 feet to the highest spot on our property, and make a mound there.

Here once a leechfield is in place, then folks can use a composting toilet [if they want to].

I think that composting toilets are the most environmental systems available.

A lagoon completely treats the black water right there and converts it to safe water.

A leechfield drips it into the soil and hopes that organisms in that spot can deal with it, before it hits the water-table.

A composting toilet turns it into garden soil, so you can move it once a week [or once a month] into a raised bed garden and grow veggies.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
I don't think we have them here in Texas.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM

263 posts, read 745,192 times
i also would say you should check out composting toilets.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Default Phyto Septic Systems

Phyto Septic Systems

I've just come back from a three day scientific water treatment conference attended by researchers and scientists who think outside the box as they say. One Author/Speaker from the above named company gave us a presentation on how they approach things from a water plants marsh system which incorporates an aerobic above ground pond which utilizes water taken from a traditional anaerobic system of an underground septic tank. It was extremely interesting and I believe if someone had the tools and know how (knowledge of proper plants to incorporate into the system) , they could construct one of these systems themselves on an existing septic system.

Here's the company here in Malmö, Sweden
Phytotechnology Europe AB

http://www.phytotechnology.se/pdf/phytosystem-en.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Phyto Septic Systems

I've just come back from a three day scientific water treatment conference attended by researchers and scientists who think outside the box as they say. One Author/Speaker from the above named company gave us a presentation on how they approach things from a water plants marsh system which incorporates an aerobic above ground pond which utilizes water taken from a traditional anaerobic system of an underground septic tank. It was extremely interesting and I believe if someone had the tools and know how (knowledge of proper plants to incorporate into the system) , they could construct one of these systems themselves on an existing septic system.

Here's the company here in Malmö, Sweden

http://www.phytotechnology.se/pdf/phytosystem-en.pdf (broken link)
Sounds remarkably like the racetrack system operated by Disney in Florida. Few people ever realize that all those flower filled waterways (other than the lakes) wandering through the park are actually a very natural sewage system and that the hyacinths are also harvested for biofuel.

Texas (the TCEQ) will allow unique systems but getting them approved is kind of tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living