Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is not correct, almost all states require a ceremony which the officiant signs off, not necessarily religious but a government approved officiant must perform a ceremony.
You're right, I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why?
I assume because the majority wish to protect the rights of the vulnerable.
Most people are against forcing people to marry against their will.
Most people are against child brides. There is a movement in some states to raise the legal age of marriage to 18 and do away with any parental or judicial consent for minors to marry.
And polygamy is illegal in the US.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think maybe this is just remnants of times past. Maybe this bill with get other stats questioning why a ceremony is required and they will do away with it being mandatory.
I remember my mandatory ceremony at the courthouse. It was quite awful.

It is important to remember that for much of history, even in the USA when a female married she and all that she had (or was expected to get) became property of her husband.

A girl who was say daughter of a wealthy man or had money in her own right could be "seduced" into marriage and once the deed was done her husband got immediate rights to all her money, property and so forth. With the law on his side, said husband could then proceed to kiss and or kick every single cent out of his wife, and there was little anyone else could do.

By requiring some sort of official ceremony the officiating is obliged by states laws that both parties are of age, and making the marriage of their own free will.

The other reasons for mandatory public ceremonies is at least in theory give anyone with valid objections a chance to speak up.

" If anyone knows of any just cause or impediment why these two people may not be joined together in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace", are not just words uttered; but legally that is when someone/anyone who knows any reason why two people shouldn't be married needs to speak up. True while soap opera, movie or whatever media depictions of someone standing up, bursting into the church or court house with some *shocking* statement was rare, purpose of those words remains the same.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
I think maybe this is just remnants of times past. Maybe this bill with get other stats questioning why a ceremony is required and they will do away with it being mandatory.
I remember my mandatory ceremony at the courthouse. It was quite awful.
Yes. I actually have PTSD going anywhere near a courthouse or dealing with lawyers. A religious officiant might care about the ceremony but if you are not religious you get stuck in a musty court house room or some JP in it for a few bucks. There are plenty of horror stories.

I don't mind being required to have witnesses when I sign certain documents, that can be done at town hall or the bank, but I don't like being forced to have some authority breathing down my neck over personal decisions. The legal system is too complicated even for simple matters.

Alabama is doing this for the wrong reasons but it is the right thing.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
I assume because the majority wish to protect the rights of the vulnerable.
Most people are against forcing people to marry against their will.
Most people are against child brides. There is a movement in some states to raise the legal age of marriage to 18 and do away with any parental or judicial consent for minors to marry.
And polygamy is illegal in the US.
If a person is legal to enter a contract, that person is legal to marry. Marriage is just a contract.

Why should polygamy be illegal? Does love stop at 1, 2, 3 or 4 people? The government should have no say in how the people form their families voluntarily.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
What are the common law rules in Alabama? Those not married legally in some states end up with marriage status after a set number of years.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Sure it would. You'd just need another document (either state issued, or at least officially recognized) that supported your relationship.

Your example is like saying you can't light a fire without a match. But you can light a fire with a lighter, magnifying glass, two sticks (neither matches), a 9V battery and some wire wool, and 1001 other ways.

Wherein lies the rub, doesn't it?

Written into countless federal and state or local laws are requirements to show a "valid marriage license" to obtain a vast and bewildering array of benefits. Just what else would be considered such a document as a replacement.

Here is how SSA rolls: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200305020

Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If a person is legal to enter a contract, that person is legal to marry. Marriage is just a contract.

Why should polygamy be illegal? Does love stop at 1, 2, 3 or 4 people? The government should have no say in how the people form their families voluntarily.

One must be 18 to enter into a legal contract.
The government doesn't have a say in how people form their families voluntarily. They just have to follow the monogamous requirement to have a government sanctioned marriage.
Take it up with your state legislators.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is important to remember that for much of history, even in the USA when a female married she and all that she had (or was expected to get) became property of her husband.

A girl who was say daughter of a wealthy man or had money in her own right could be "seduced" into marriage and once the deed was done her husband got immediate rights to all her money, property and so forth. With the law on his side, said husband could then proceed to kiss and or kick every single cent out of his wife, and there was little anyone else could do.

By requiring some sort of official ceremony the officiating is obliged by states laws that both parties are of age, and making the marriage of their own free will.

The other reasons for mandatory public ceremonies is at least in theory give anyone with valid objections a chance to speak up.

" If anyone knows of any just cause or impediment why these two people may not be joined together in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace", are not just words uttered; but legally that is when someone/anyone who knows any reason why two people shouldn't be married needs to speak up. True while soap opera, movie or whatever media depictions of someone standing up, bursting into the church or court house with some *shocking* statement was rare, purpose of those words remains the same.
Good points.
Today those things are no longer needed.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Bill to eliminate marriage licenses moving quickly in Alabama Legislature | AL.com

Ah, some poor widdle conservative snowflakes got their fweelings hurt! If you can't have marriage all to yourself we'll make sure no one can have it either!
Why is the government involved in marriages anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies