Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times

Advertisements

I believe welfare should help people until they are able to support themselves. Not to keep people dependent on the government, and enable people to abuse it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What's funny is a lot of people wanting welfare checks and other government benefits contribute little to nothing to society. And they want someone else to pay for their benefits.
You know whats even funnier people dying of starvation!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Someone has to pay for welfare programs.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Someone has to pay for welfare programs.
My heart bleeds for them

Old 03-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Is that what charity is for, to take care of people?

Quote:
My heart bleeds for them
Bleeds for who, the people demanding welfare or those that pay for it?

Old 03-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Is that what charity is for, to take care of people?

No welfare in the early 20th century. Looks like charity isn't enough.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
So I suppose you think you're right sbout everything you've stated here....

Otherwise, you wouldn't have stated it!

Well you're right about some things, and wrong about others........
I could care less what you think of me. Just take care of your things and what you can control and don't expect me to take care of your responsibilities.

Just handle your stuff and forget about saving the world and making things "right" for everybody at the expense of others.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
No welfare in the early 20th century. Looks like charity isn't enough.

that's just a picture......I don't know the personal circumstances of their parents and their whole family.

the world existed for centuries before the big welfare state. The U.S. fought a Revolution war and founded a Republic for over 150 years without the big welfare state. To say we have to have a big welfare state to survive and run a country is not true.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
The free market unchecked leads to consolidation of corporations who squash competition.
Based on what exactly? I'd love to see an example of this.

Quote:
This is bad for social mobility. As we saw in the early 1900s when the US was more capitalistic than it is now workers where exploited significantly some were not even paid in dollars but company script.
We saw the free market overcome this as more businesses popped up that paid a better wage. Once there was competition wages and quality of goods and services went up.

Quote:
The level of power is not equal hence why some regulations are needed to keep corporations in check.
That's called crony capitalism and hurts the small business. i thought you were against that?

Quote:
The same goes for providing the poor with modest programs to help them take that away and you have crime ridden favelas.
Show proof of this.

Quote:
A pure free market is chaos just look at Somalia or Brazil or any number of countries that have limited social safety nets terrible places to live if you aren't wealthy.
Somalia and Brazil are not free markets. Not even close. For you to use them as examples is absurd. Especially Somolia where they don't have rights and freedoms which is paramount to a free market.

You made a few things up and when you did use examples you didn't back up what you claimed. Maybe it's the terminology you have used, dunno. Except to say the examples you presented hold no water.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Look up the reason the black unwed pregnancy rate was around 24 percent in the late 60s and is around 73 percent now. We incentivised women to have more kids out of wedlock by paying more welfare to single moms.
It went up a lot for all races/groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies