Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is a total falsehood. Hunters know only about how to locate, stalk and kill wildlife. It's the same as saying that rapists are the most knowledgeable about women. Lovers of Nature they are not; just exploiters of it. My father was a hard-core hunter and I was raised to be one. Most of his friends were hunters and what a bunch of drunks, philanderers and swindlers they were. I was 25 years old, before I'd grown up enough, to see it for what it was and purge my life of it.

I've been here long enough to read some pretty ignorant posts, but this, good sir, has got to be a Top 10 contender.

A good hunter, not a once or twice a season hunter, will take great pains to manage wildlife possibly better than your state wildlife agency. Habitat, food, water, safe haven are just a few of the things an avid hunter will take into consideration well before he even figures out where he will hang a tree stand or place a blind.

Taking your post as written, you seem to be completely ignorant of groups such as QDMA. You should certainly look into what they do. It's far more than fulfilling some murderous fantasy. I would try to expand on their mission but I would certainly do them no justice.

Just because you say you were exposed to drunks, phlianderers and swindlers, does not make it the case for the rest of the hunters out there. perhaps you should examine your father's character more closely if those are the people he chose to associate with.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,605,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You cannot explain an emotion such as empathy to someone that does not possess it themselves.

And I don't think it's any coincidence, that every hunter I knew in my younger days, was also a hard-right conservative.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And I don't think it's any coincidence, that every hunter I knew in my younger days, was also a hard-right conservative.
Please, for the love of whatever diety you choose, don't try to say one political party is more virtuous or pure than the other. They're both graced with plenty of scumbags.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 PM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
I'm saddened by the fact that people that say they care about protecting these species don't even know what the basic issue is that is challenging them the most.

Le Roi, as one example, please try to go find some articles from say National Geographic from the past 15-20 years. In addition google topics like "paper parks", habitat loss etc.

If you don't care, then this is just partisan mewling. If you do, then learn that the real issue isn't some dipsh*t dentist shooting a lion etc. but rather the 50 other lions being shot due to encroachment on the parks etc. by some African farmer, poacher etc.

Your USA centric views are not helping anything with regards to longterm preservation.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM

78,547 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Please, for the love of whatever diety you choose, don't try to say one political party is more virtuous or pure than the other. They're both graced with plenty of scumbags.
Don't waste your time. They've gone full "star wars".

Doesn't matter the party. The other side is wrong about anything and evil, just pure evil.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,289,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You cannot explain an emotion such as empathy to someone that does not possess it themselves.
How true! So often, among the less evolved and more narcissistic, empathy is disdained as a sign of weakness and sissification rather than the hallmark of humanity and decency that it actually is.

That is regularly apparent among the throwbacks on this board who want to recreate a time when it was more acceptable to give free rein to baser instincts instead of being civilized and utilizing those higher functions of actual modern humans to better the world instead of longing for the Dark Ages.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 PM

3,862 posts, read 1,800,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Here is what is wrong with that:

"...A new U.S. advisory board created to help rewrite federal rules for importing the heads and hides of African elephants, lions and rhinos is stacked with trophy hunters, including some members with direct ties to President Donald Trump and his family..."

Conflict of Interests and unethical behavior, and in addition, being "in tune with nature" has nothing to do with rules regarding importing the heads and hides of animals. They have an agenda.

This is just more Trump cronyism, corruption and bad judgment.
I completely agree with you. Trump is appointing people to sit on boards or lead departments without truly caring about the very thing, they're representing.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,600,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies

"The Trump administration will allow Americans to bring tusks and other elephant body parts back to this country as trophies, in a pivot away from the support President Trump voiced last year for an Obama-era trophy ban."

Yes, it's regulated, and Trump is appointing people who want to undo that.

I wouldn't group together an animal that's indigenous to Florida (gator) with an animal that's an invasive species (giant snakes/pythons/anaconda/etc).

Gator hunting was illegal in the south for a very long time until the populations came back. Now they're legal, and people hunt them. That's fine. People eat gator, people use the skin, there's plenty of them, and they're local.

Those snakes, as far as I am concerned can be eradicated entirely from Florida as they threaten the balance of complex ecosystems.

None of that really applies to animals like African elephants, no matter how you look at it.

lol yeah, I can. And I will.

The story, to me, isn't really about hunting. I have nothing against hunters; I grew up hunting and still go bird hunting occasionally. To me the story is about science vs peoples egos.

I'm left speechless at your logic, I'll leave it at that.

Ok well, as a hunter, I think killing elephants and other threatened/endangered species for sport is bad.
I can't rep you again right now, but I agree with every single word of your post.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hunters are more conservationist in responsible ways than you may think. Without things to hunt, they are no longer hunters.

I go watch my deer herd and select the harvest. I kill wild Hogs when I see them and fill the freezer, while giving the rest away.
Deer and wild hogs are not endangered.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm saddened by the fact that people that say they care about protecting these species don't even know what the basic issue is that is challenging them the most.

Le Roi, as one example, please try to go find some articles from say National Geographic from the past 15-20 years. In addition google topics like "paper parks", habitat loss etc.

If you don't care, then this is just partisan mewling. If you do, then learn that the real issue isn't some dipsh*t dentist shooting a lion etc. but rather the 50 other lions being shot due to encroachment on the parks etc. by some African farmer, poacher etc.

Your USA centric views are not helping anything with regards to longterm preservation.
Displeasure with one does not necessarily mean ignorance of the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies