Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times

Advertisements

I'm 70, was born and raised in California like my parents and grandparents were. I can trace my California roots back to 1846 two years before the gold rush. Nearly all my relatives are buried in California.

California was a fantastic place to grow up.... we had lived in Menlo Park, Palo Alto and Santa Clara. I remember the El Camino being two lanes through orchards between the small towns of Mountain View, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. Mostly prunes and pears.

The only highway we had was the bay shore freeway. Yep, no interstates at all.

When they built the first homes around Milpitas we all laughed.... "who would ever want to live out there in the sticks? we asked?

Bought our first home on Dundee Drive, known as the Bonnie Brae Sub-Division, for $29,900. Four bedrooms and two baths.

A very conservative state with the exception of the idiots in Berkeley. Yeah, they were idiots in the 50's and 60's even back then.

I left California in 1974 and while all my relatives used to live there I would guess 80% are relocated to other states.

What is California today? California is the capital of homelessness and poverty in America yet some liberals think America should be more like California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I'm 70, was born and raised in California like my parents and grandparents were. I can trace my California roots back to 1846 two years before the gold rush. Nearly all my relatives are buried in California.

California was a fantastic place to grow up.... we had lived in Menlo Park, Palo Alto and Santa Clara. I remember the El Camino being two lanes through orchards between the small towns of Mountain View, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. Mostly prunes and pears.

The only highway we had was the bay shore freeway. Yep, no interstates at all.

When they built the first homes around Milpitas we all laughed.... "who would ever want to live out there in the sticks? we asked?

Bought our first home on Dundee Drive, known as the Bonnie Brae Sub-Division, for $29,900. Four bedrooms and two baths.

A very conservative state with the exception of the idiots in Berkeley. Yeah, they were idiots in the 50's and 60's even back then.

I left California in 1974 and while all my relatives used to live there I would guess 80% are relocated to other states.

What is California today? California is the capital of homelessness and poverty in America yet some liberals think America should be more like California?
I remember in the 70s when there were open fields between San Ramon and Danville.

I remember the protests in People's Park, etc. in Berkeley (60s-70s)

I remember in the very early 80s when the population of Irvine was about 60,000.

1 remember the big urban fire in the Berkeley Hills.

I remember the Loma Prieta earthquake.

I remember the fairly low quality of the air at Disneyland in the early 70s.

1 remember when BART opened in the early 1970s.

1 remember when the B of A building in SF opened.

1 remember when the Transamerica 'Pyramid' opened.

I remember when the Library Tower in LA opened (IIRC, as the First Interstate Bank Tower)

I was one of the 750k-1 million people standing on the Golden Gate Bridge on the 50th anniversary in 1987.

I remember when Santana Row opened in 2003

I attended the last 49ers regular season game ever played at Kezar in 1970.

I remember going to the Marines Memorial Club in three different decades.

I remember fishing near Monte Rio in the 60s.

I remember when the Premium Outlets opened in Livermore earlier in the 2010s.

My grandfather was a kid when the 1906 earthquake hit, and he and his friends hiked to the highest point they could find and watched SF burn.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
All that Vegas gambling money should have some be used for some good.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol @ sorry we're full. Nevada is virtually uninhabited except for Las Vegas, Reno, and South Lake Tahoe.
The problem is Reno and Las Vegas are becoming overcrowded, and housing is going up.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Today, California is still very conservative/republican except for the coastal areas and the Bay Area and Los Angeles (not including Orange County, Riverside, San Bernadino, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley)

Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Today, California is still very conservative/republican except for the coastal areas and the Bay Area and Los Angeles (not including Orange County, Riverside, San Bernadino, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley)
Correct. The rural areas of CA are conservative/Republican and the cities are liberal/Democratic. The same is true in every other state of the Union.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Some people on here agrees with that statement. Heck, there are many threads on here which covers that topic.

If blue states were so great, why do people from those leave and flood my area?

They come to my area because there is no state income tax and housing is affordable.

But then, they buy up housing and vote for the same party which enacted the same policies that caused them to flee in the first place.

Where are they going to go when they can't afford to live here anymore? Are they going to try to ruin other states too?

I am thinking of replacing the "Welcome to Nevada" sign with a sign that says "Sorry, we're full".
Policies do not make housing more affordable. Lack of demand does.

We buy cheap houses in your area because no one wants them. We then try to elect officials who will make your area more desirable so that the value of the property will increase, and we can profit.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Policies do not make housing more affordable. Lack of demand does.

We buy cheap houses in your area because no one wants them. We then try to elect officials who will make your area more desirable so that the value of the property will increase, and we can profit.

It’s a decent strategy.

But you’ll need to find a new source of fresh water once the sierra snowpack is gone in a few decades.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Blue states weren’t necessarily blue in the past. California for example was a conservative state up until the 80’s and 90’s.

That means the industrial and economic foundation was built already before the Left started taking over.

Also, large cities are where most of the economic activities are going to happen. Companies and businesses need access to workers, buildings, airports, ports, etc. and these things are going to be in and around cities, not rural areas.

Similar to the phenomenon in California, many cities began to turn democratic in the late 20th century due to large influxes of immigrants and the Left tendency to migrate to cities.

In other words, even the states that are currently blue, the foundation of the cities in them were not necessarily built up by the Left / democrats but by generally more conservative residents in the 19th and 20th centuries.
I was thinking the same thing. Historically the wealthy Northern states and I believe California also used to vote more Republican. Here is the 1900 Presidential Election for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_1900

To show that this was more or less the norm - here is the election 20 years earlier than 1900 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_1880 and twenty years later than 1900 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_1920

I think there was a gradual change, the very wealth of the Northern and Pacific Coast States, especially those with big cities, allowed the raising of large amounts of revenue (taxes) that could be used by politicians to buy votes. Tammany Hall in New York City is the perfect example of a machine that makes promises, provides patronage, payoffs, welfare programs, bribes etc. to keep its members in power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammany_Hall

Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
And most of the people in thoe "blue" states generating the wealth are "red" and most collecting welfare are "blue"! Blue and red just means 51% of the people in those states are "blue" or "red" and people paint it as 100%. It really doesn't mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies