Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Bump Stocks be BANNED?
No 27 32.53%
Yes 56 67.47%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Of course not. Should the military abandon its automatic weapons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Banning bump stocks is crumbs. Ban the guns that "work" with bump stocks.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:44 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Roll your eyes all you want.

Bump stocks don't change the firing mechanism of the weapon at all.

You still only get one round per trigger pull.

Bump stocks just make it easier to pull the trigger faster, something that can also be achieved with a rubber band.
All true. Also, you'll probably never see one used in a crime again. The only reason he was able to kill so many was that they were a tightly packed crowd. Slower, aimed fire would have been much more deadly. Bump stocks make shooters wildly INACCURATE.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Banning bump stocks is crumbs. Ban the guns that "work" with bump stocks.
So ban all semi auto firearms? Never happen. Can't ban AR's either. They are COMMON USE. Too bad, so a sad.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
An AR-15 with a bump stock is nothing more than a machine gun that had gotten off on a technicality. For now.

Watch the video in the OP and tell us how the average citizen would see the difference. Explain to us how the girl in the video is squeezing the trigger between each shot.

"Oh, it looks and sounds and fires and kills like a machine gun, but it's really not! You see, there's a mechanism that resembles a rubber band ..."

Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
It's already illegal to kill people, no matter how the killing is done. A person that's going to break that law will have no problem breaking other laws. More than what's necessary to punish the law breakers (lets be real, laws only Stop law-abiding folks) just adds complexity and loopholes.

Maybe they'll be harder to come by. Maybe someone will make a 3d-printer program so anyone can make theirs at home with zero trace ~ not like it's a complex part. They're just a gimmick that hurts accuracy (speaking for direct personal experience of using a CAR-15, the fully-auto version, a couple bump-stocks and 'normal' variety). I can put WAY more shots on target with a normal semi-auto, as in I can put them ALL on target in a small area within a second or Maybe two of what it takes to empty the same number of rounds form a fully automatic rifle. Heck, I'm not That much slower with a bolt-action rifle thanks to shooting silhouette competitions.

I know, experience is a hard thing to account for when you're completely out of your depth on a topic. How is someone who has zero experience with these things supposed to know that they make the rifle less accurate (would probably save lives overall IMHO)? Or that the time difference to empty a magazine is so small as to be irrelevant?

It's hard... the media goes nuts showing everyone school shootings and feelings get elevated. But the reality is that more kids die walking/bilking to school every year (about 100) than are killed with guns in these situations. Best course is to try and divorce emotions from logic.

FWIW, I have not ever, nor would I have ever, owned a bumpstock. Tried one once, it was fun for a few minutes, and then gave it back to the owner. I suffer in no way from not being able to buy one, it's just another unnecessary law on the books that I take issue with.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:11 PM

305 posts, read 196,254 times
Default HUGE excise tax on bullets

would be my answer.

Clearly, the small minority of gun owners and the deep pockets of the NRA will never permit meaningful gun laws from being passed, in my humble opinion.

How about imposing some ridiculous tax per bullet, not unlike what NYC imposes on smokers, and to preclude those who will repack their brass or whatever bullets are mde of
make the accessories ridiculously expensive also.

Furthermore, make any crime committed with a gun mandatory minimum 20 years---

Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you ban selling something when you can simply make it? That's just ignorant to the Nth power.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/3...k-ban-obsolete

Just because you can make a bomb, does that make it alright to make it legal ? There are consequences for building one, that is the point, same with automatic weapons.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
... and to preclude those who will repack their brass or whatever bullets are mde of make the accessories ridiculously expensive also.

Furthermore, make any crime committed with a gun mandatory minimum 20 years---

It's called "reloading", and it can be done with simple tools that are used in many other industries.

But what's the point? Why punish hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of a half dozen? I mean, if "just one life" is important, we should completely ban the use of cell phones in vehicles. Probably ought to ban the use of GPS and radios too... MANY more people die from those than from shooting.

If "just one life" is important, why don't we heavily tax the obese? Put a sin tax on fast food? Obesity is the #1 killer in the US... and "just one life" is important, right? I know, ridiculous... but more lives Would be saved.

As for the punishment, I agree though I think your limit is too light. Any crime committed with a firearm ought to be punished by death. No appeals, no plea bargains, no "minimum" less than death. It won't stop murder suicides and "fame" killings, they expect to die anyway. But it ought to cut down on home invasions, car jacking and the gang problems in New Orleans, Chicago and the like.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:51 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So ban all semi auto firearms? Never happen. Can't ban AR's either. They are COMMON USE. Too bad, so a sad.
Yep, that's the idea. And never say never. It will be done eventually. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies