Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Significant changes came about as a result of the protests of the 60's. The change of voting age to 18, the termination of the draft and the end of the Vietnam war to name a few. All directly or indirectly came about as a result of the resistance of the 60's. Gun laws will be the same. Change won't come today or tomorrow or this year. But when this generation gets to full voting power, the change will come.
Rights can’t be voted away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM

267 posts, read 122,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Ask them what they think about the children.
I’m already annoyed with some of them. I think one or two of them feel like celebrities. I don’t see a clear agenda

What is their point? Gun laws are not gonna change dramatically. The NRA wont allow that. Vote out Rubio? He still has 5 more years.

I heard at a local level some people want police or private security services. That’s fine with me.

Bullet proof doors? That not only is expensive but it’s absurd because a shooter could shoot through a window. Bullet proof windows? Fires will kill more people that shooters.

In a few days people will forget like like they did with Sandy Hook and Vegas.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They are protesting a particular sickness in society that sees no problem with being awash with weapons, so much so that procuring one and carrying out a mass killing by a lone loser is easier than buying beer.

Nice try at a dismissal, though.
Then they should be fighting for a change in culture, which would include not immediately calling law abiding citizens child murderers with blood on their hands, and calling for the disbandment of a civil rights organization made up not of industry, but regular citizens. And it would include listening, and reading and researching. They would know that we live in some of the least violent times in human history. And perhaps they could do some research on black markets, and our geographical location to such markets.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Everyone I know is excited by what these kids are doing.
Same here, with a couple exceptions. I participated in a local march, as did quite a few of my friends and my friends' children in their respective towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I had a good conversation with my 18 year old son about it tonight. It might surprise some of the conservatives on this board that he was able t explain why he was with the protests and walkouts and wished he could have got down to one over the weekend. The kids know why they're protesting. It says more about the folks shaming them then it does the kids.
Some of the vitriol that's been spewed about these kids has been heartbreaking, although not surprising given the courage people seem to gather from the anonymity of the interwebs.

Youth protest when adults fail them. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Most of the young people I know, including both of my best friends' teenage daughters, are avid hunters. They feel sorry for the victims, but don't sympathize with the protests and want nothing to do with them. There's a huge gun culture here. They don't want their guns and right to hunt taken away.
Then perhaps you should educate them on what the actual issue is, instead of allowing them to perpetuate half-truths and ignorant hyperbole.

Nobody wants their guns. Nobody wants to take their guns away. Nobody wants to take their hunting privileges (hunting is a privilege, not a right) away. Nobody wants to take all the guns from responsible, licensed, and trained gun owners.

Here's a teachable moment on common sense and on responsibility. If I were you, I'd take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Rights can’t be voted away.
I have the right to vote, granted to me by the 19th Amendment. That right was given to me by a vote. If rights can be voted in, they can be voted away.

Barring that - and I don't think the outright repeal of the 2nd Amendment is even an issue - rights can be regulated. The 19th Amendment does not grant me the right to vote any time or anywhere I please, or as many times as I please.

Get it now?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The main difference, I think, is that the Vietnam War protestors were trying to stop a specific government policy which was disrupting the lives of an entire generation of young people, forcing millions of them to go to the other side of the world to kill and be killed. The March for our Lives movement is, by comparison, frivolous hype.
I don't know. We lost 50K Americans in 10 years in Vietnam, but we are losing 300 000 in 10 years to gun violence.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:58 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Then they should be fighting for a change in culture, which would include not immediately calling law abiding citizens child murderers with blood on their hands, and calling for the disbandment of a civil rights organization made up not of industry, but regular citizens. And it would include listening, and reading and researching. They would know that we live in some of the least violent times in human history. And perhaps they could do some research on black markets, and our geographical location to such markets.
The people who make up a large part of the reason for the problem being protested even existing, should not be determining what is the appropriate way for others to protest. If you are a person who goes around the internet all day putting second amendment diatribes on every comment section in existence, if you equate every violent incident not involving a gun with a "ban" of whatever tool may have been used, you are part of the problem.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:14 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Significant changes came about as a result of the protests of the 60's. The change of voting age to 18, the termination of the draft and the end of the Vietnam war to name a few. All directly or indirectly came about as a result of the resistance of the 60's. Gun laws will be the same. Change won't come today or tomorrow or this year. But when this generation gets to full voting power, the change will come.
Change of voting age and the termination of the draft are two bad things that should never have happened. This has caused an "us" and "them" mentality when it comes to being a responsible citizen and doing your part to keep a free nation. Lowering the voting age makes too many people voting when they are still in training and have not experienced enough life to understand what is really going on in the world.

These children are being used as pawns to take the guns that make it impossible for the government to control our every breath. They are marching to get rid of their own freedom. Maybe they should be in class studying real government instead of the present day political correctness that is a bunch of ignorance.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,262,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
I’m already annoyed with some of them. I think one or two of them feel like celebrities. I don’t see a clear agenda

What is their point? Gun laws are not gonna change dramatically. The NRA wont allow that. Vote out Rubio? He still has 5 more years.

I heard at a local level some people want police or private security services. That’s fine with me.

Bullet proof doors? That not only is expensive but it’s absurd because a shooter could shoot through a window. Bullet proof windows? Fires will kill more people that shooters.

In a few days people will forget like like they did with Sandy Hook and Vegas.
It's been almost six weeks now since the St Valentine's Day Massacre in Florida, and the movement is still picking up steam and staying on top of the news cycles, and the Parkland Survivors are smart enough to know how to keep it there. There are two more events already planned for April 7 and 20, and I'm sure there will be more to coincide with the anniversaries of other mass killings.

Nobody is going to forget anything, except the names of the NRA-owned republicans who get in the way.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Change of voting age and the termination of the draft are two bad things that should never have happened. This has caused an "us" and "them" mentality when it comes to being a responsible citizen and doing your part to keep a free nation. Lowering the voting age makes too many people voting when they are still in training and have not experienced enough life to understand what is really going on in the world.

These children are being used as pawns to take the guns that make it impossible for the government to control our every breath. They are marching to get rid of their own freedom. Maybe they should be in class studying real government instead of the present day political correctness that is a bunch of ignorance.
So, are they poor, innocent pawns or people that should be threatened with violence by gun huggers?

I'm not straight on what today's theme is supposed to be.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,413,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Nobody is going to forget anything, except the names of the NRA-owned republicans who get in the way.
Question, if you could disband the NRA do you think people would give up their guns? NRA is not the only gun rights organization either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies