Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 01:34 PM

174 posts, read 113,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Wait. You have no idea what you’re babbling about, do you? If this is the way you approach your job, it’s a good thing you’re socking it away. You’re going to need it sooner rather than later.

look up healthcare in Switzerland. the government provides subsidies for low income people (which I don't mind), but it's a free market. the only down side is that companies can't make a profit off basic insurance, which I can get on board with.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,781,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
look up healthcare in Switzerland. the government provides subsidies for low income people (which I don't mind), but it's a free market.
Wait so you expect the government to pay for low in come health insurance? Where do you think they get the money for that?

Should low income people get social security if they are disabled? What should happen to them if they are disabled and were too poor to afford private insurance?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Wait so you expect the government to pay for low in come health insurance? Where do you think they get the money for that?

Should low income people get social security if they are disabled? What should happen to them if they are disabled and were too poor to afford private insurance?
I've never been anti taxes or anti welfare?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 PM

13,681 posts, read 20,827,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, look on the bright side, maybe when you have kids and they are about 2 you'll die in an accident and then you're spouse will get to collect a monthly benefit that will be a high return on your investment!

Seriously though, you don't seem to understand the big picture of it's purpose because it's most surely not an investment vehicle, it's INSURANCE. Several of the coverages relate to things you do not want to happen nor collect upon. I have a life insurance policy expiring soon and I'm certainly not crying about how much I paid in yet didn't get any returns.
Well yes, Insurance is something you pay for hoping you never have to use it.

Social Security is something we pay for and will certainly use.

So it is not insurance.

It is something akin to a pension plan that due to unforeseen demographic changes, is now run like a Ponzi scheme.

Most of us would be satisfied if it were simply run better.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,378,265 times
If you live like a boomer and find yourself lugging a green bottle around in a mobility scooter by the time you hit your fifties, you will be glad you have social security.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,644,824 times
OP can't be trusted. So, did you have an average GPA or did you graduate with honors? Here are two posts from her history.

1/3/2018 I did have more "free time" in college vs adulthood. I only worked part time in college. However a lot of my free time involved me avoiding doing homework or studying which resulted in an average GPA. But in the end that didn't matter because I majored in the right thing and got an internship my senior year which led to a job right after graduation.

5/10/2017 In college, I worked very hard to get a job. I graduated with honors (3.5ish gpa) in 2 majors, computer science and economics in 4 years. I worked part time at a help desk for my first two years, and was a co op after interning for my last two years. I also interned full time during sophomore, junior, and senior summers. At one point I had 2 internships while in school. I had a few side projects as well from free lancing. Also while in school, I was part of a research lab which I did for a year. Outside of school I was part of a social sorority (I was a vp of membership), coordinator for the student union, ACM, and an ambassador for the business school. I got a job after graduation making a decent salary. I have done well at my job (received a promotion each year I have been working - so 2 promotions) and am currently team lead with a

Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

267 posts, read 122,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well yes, Insurance is something you pay for hoping you never have to use it.

Social Security is something we pay for and will certainly use.

So it is not insurance.

It is something akin to a pension plan that due to unforeseen demographic changes, is now run like a Ponzi scheme.

Most of us would be satisfied if it were simply run better.
Not certainly. There are people who know they will probably not live past 65 and they still have to pay their FICA taxes.

But I guest your point.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
OP can't be trusted. So, did you have an average GPA or did you graduate with honors? Here are two posts from her history.

1/3/2018 I did have more "free time" in college vs adulthood. I only worked part time in college. However a lot of my free time involved me avoiding doing homework or studying which resulted in an average GPA. But in the end that didn't matter because I majored in the right thing and got an internship my senior year which led to a job right after graduation.

5/10/2017 In college, I worked very hard to get a job. I graduated with honors (3.5ish gpa) in 2 majors, computer science and economics in 4 years. I worked part time at a help desk for my first two years, and was a co op after interning for my last two years. I also interned full time during sophomore, junior, and senior summers. At one point I had 2 internships while in school. I had a few side projects as well from free lancing. Also while in school, I was part of a research lab which I did for a year. Outside of school I was part of a social sorority (I was a vp of membership), coordinator for the student union, ACM, and an ambassador for the business school. I got a job after graduation making a decent salary. I have done well at my job (received a promotion each year I have been working - so 2 promotions) and am currently team lead with a

I have mixed feelings about college and my gpa which doesn't mean I can't be trusted. Not to mention this is an online forum to talk about our opinions, not a life and death brigade. it's not an amazing gpa, but it's not bad. Graduating with honors at my college meant having a 3.5 GPA, but it's not something like a 3.9 or presidential honors which is something to really talk about. Sometimes I feel like I worked super hard for it, sometimes I feel like I could have worked harder looking at my peers successes and failures. and I did have free time, which is why I could be involved. It's also really creepy to stalk someone a year back.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,146,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I have mixed feelings about college and my gpa which doesn't mean I can't be trusted. Not to mention this is an online forum to talk about our opinions, not a life and death brigade. it's not an amazing gpa, but it's not bad. Sometimes I feel like I worked super hard for it, sometimes I feel like I could have worked harder. It's not a contradiction. It's also really creepy to stalk someone a year back. and I did have free time, which is why I could be involved.

"Mixed feelings" So mixed feelings alters what you said your GPA is.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
"Mixed feelings" So mixed feelings alters what you said your GPA is.

I didn't alter what my GPA was? I didn't say what it was in the first post, and I said what it was in the second post? and ya, a 3.5 gave me a "honors" title, but it's not really amazing. it's like a 85ish average, and B is average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies