Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, oh you people will do ANYTHING in your desperation. Changing goal posts, twisting words, insulting students who have just gone thru a shooting. Doesn't get more despicable. Exposed cons for the hideous people we all knew them to be.

Changing the goal posts?? Like it or not we need to look at the entire field and analyze all the players.

We are the arm chair quarterbacks on Monday morning wondering why our team keeps losing.
It is not the fault of the ball (guns) but a break down of the players and the game itself..

The ball was dropped so many times in this case and we need to point fingers at everyone involved.
If it is the fault of a broken foster care system, teachers and other staffers at the school that were either too lazy to intervene or had their hands tied due to some bureaucracy snafu or the Police, the FBI, the students that pushed the kid aside because he was weird or even gun purchase regulations that should be updated.. we need to look at all of this.

How many times have we seen this play out. The greatest example of course is 911 where Russia warned us about the hijackers and nothing was done. I know a guy that was working at a flight school that trained one of the terrorists and they alerted the authorities when they became suspicious that the guy wanted to know all about flying but not landing and nothing was done.
How about so many other shootings and terrorist attacks where the pieces fall into place after the terrible deed is done?

The ball was dropped and we need to figure out why so it will not happen again.
If that means for students to be more vigilant about their peers then they need to be. They might just stop a suicide or a mass shooting.

There is nothing despicable about trying to find answers to prevent tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, oh you people will do ANYTHING in your desperation. Changing goal posts, twisting words, insulting students who have just gone thru a shooting. Doesn't get more despicable. Exposed cons for the hideous people we all knew them to be.
No, actually, I refuse to allow my political affiliation to describe or define me....

what I am doing though, is looking at a much larger picture...which we all as a society need to look at...

I never twisted works, insulted students, now can you describe me as despicable or anyone else, b/c they want to look at a much broader picture. This isn't about politics, this is about how we can keep our kids safe....how we can learn from this and move forward by setting aside our differences and putting into place new ideas. We live in a different world now, a much more violent world, and we need to set up preventative resources to help fight this cancer spreading thru society.

You can't fix a problem by saying, take all the guns away and forgetting about it, thinking now you've done your part. That's a quick fix that allows you to sleep at night, but isn't a fix at all.

Down in Philly, there is at least one shooting and murder every day...so what do you do...take every gun away that the crime is committed with, or, do you do your homework and invest your time, thinking about what may be a much larger picture here...just b/c these shootings in Philly wasn't in a school, do you have any idea how many innocent kids are shot by drive by shootings? Doesn't make them less important, they are still somebody's kid. Yours, mine, your neighbors. It's got to get better, and the only way to make it better is for society to change...change our patterns and behaviors so the next generation won't be nearly as angry and violent.

We must....

so no, don't politically try and deflect from the real subject by insulting others b/c they are trying to focus on other reasons why this happened, and wonder what caused a kid to do something this horrific.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Many of those law-abiding gun owners have taken it upon themselves to mercilessly bully the survivors since the shooting.
how many? source please.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:12 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
Nonsense it doesn’t change the dynamic.

Stop your contradictions already and get your ideas in order. “Driving him to kill” and being “the trigger” is the same crap. The result is the same. If there is no trigger then there is no high school mass shooting and no kids die.

How is this a contradiction ? Speculation sure. I feel this kid at one point in his life would have taken another, at some point in time, all it would take was the right trigger. Apparently something or someone at school caused that trigger to happen.

That or he just plain thought it would be fun....who really knows how evil works.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Changing the goal posts?? Like it or not we need to look at the entire field and analyze all the players.

We are the arm chair quarterbacks on Monday morning wondering why our team keeps losing.
It is not the fault of the ball (guns) but a break down of the players and the game itself..

The ball was dropped so many times in this case and we need to point fingers at everyone involved.
If it is the fault of a broken foster care system, teachers and other staffers at the school that were either too lazy to intervene or had their hands tied due to some bureaucracy snafu or the Police, the FBI, the students that pushed the kid aside because he was weird or even gun purchase regulations that should be updated.. we need to look at all of this.

How many times have we seen this play out. The greatest example of course is 911 where Russia warned us about the hijackers and nothing was done. I know a guy that was working at a flight school that trained one of the terrorists and they alerted the authorities when they became suspicious that the guy wanted to know all about flying but not landing and nothing was done.
How about so many other shootings and terrorist attacks where the pieces fall into place after the terrible deed is done?

If that means for students to be more vigilant about their peers then they need to be. They might just stop a suicide or a mass shooting.

Yeah yeah yeah, save it.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

but there is a much bigger picture here, than "oh, just take away all the guns"...that is not a solution....the solution to this problem we're having is what changed since I was in school...how come we're having more and more kids carrying guns to school, so many kids shooting other kids?

This. Why now is this happening more frequently. Firearms and their supposed ease to get is not the answer. That is a cop-out to a much larger problem.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

yeah, I cannot believe the school was so negligent...I no longer have a kid in school, but I know young girls at work tell me how difficult it is to get into their kids schools around here...all schools need to change and put into place effective deterrents. Right after 911 happened, the terrorists threatened to hit our schools. Right then and there, our government should have demanded strict rules as far as strangers getting in schools...and again, nothing is 100% but every little bit helps.

Have the kids enter schools thru a metal detector...have clear back packs....have security guards and yes, maybe arm some teachers who have no problem with it and come forward with past experience, maybe they are hunters...etc....

Another choice might be to hire retired military or law enforcement guards.

I cannot believe they slapped that one guards hand, he retires and end of story...he could have helped prevent a whole lot of children getting hit. And what there were 3 guards, but the media is reporting these slight mishaps, it's just all of a sudden, all about guns.

They aren't reporting on how the FBI slipped up, they aren't looking into the background of Cruz, and how many times police officers were at his door?

My God, I cannot believe people are ignoring all of this...nothing is being said?

It's just, "omg, take all the guns away??????"
That is a very very shallow concept...one that will never work.

Here is another idea....but oh, we can't look into this....

Every gun store has a computer...there is a spreadsheet, with a list of people and their photos, if they were committed of any crime, if they are mentally ill and on meds, etc...and they are updated by every single police department in the country including hospitals...child welfare, etc. Any cop today uses a computer to write up their reports on arrests...the moment they do, that computer in every gun store is immediately updated automatically, and that person doesn't get a gun ever again. Period.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'd sure like to know about the younger brother and why when the adoptive mom died, there was nobody for these kids. We had several foster kids who were 16ish when they came to us. One was 19, but just out of the system. Looks like the older one had serious attachment problems that were not addressed. Or fetal alcohol problems. Before i'd make any judgement some knowledge about the birth family would be helpful.
Lynda Cruz sold her home in a short sale early 2017. It is unknown if it was strategic or a result of financial distress.

According to former neighbors, Lynda Cruz died of pneumonia on 11/1/17. Cruz was 19 and beyond the age for foster care. It does not appear she had any living relatives.

A former neighbor took both boys into her West Palm Beach home. Reportedly, she did not allow guns in her home and that was a problem for the shooter because all he cared about were his guns. He punched and kicked out doors and walls. He held a gun to the owner’s son’s head. She called 911. He called 911 with a sob story about just having lost his mother. The owner declined to press charges. Cruz left shortly thereafter. His brother remained behind.

He landed in the trailer park home of a friend’s family who welcomed him to bring his guns provided they were in a safe and he turned over the key. Never dawned on them all safes come with 2 keys.

What information is known about Cruz’ birth parents is hearsay from former neighbors. Reportedly, bio mother was a drug addict. Nothing is known about the bio fathers of the shooter or his brother.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Both are terrorists, by any yardstick you care to choose.
Terrorism is violence in order to produce some sort of political or other aim.
Unibomber, McVeigh, 9-11 guys, blowing up black churches etc were all terrorists trying to produce political\social results via violent acts.

Maybe the Austin guy, had some sort of manifesto so IDK about him.

But the Parkland guy, he just wanted to hurt people as a sort of "revenge" for how he saw things.
He planned it out so I wouldn't say crazy, also not terroristic, maybe we can just go with a-hole since lots of people have problems and don't go gunning down people they don't like.

I mean, compare him to the Nazi punk that shot up the black church a while back. That's terrorism, he was trying to start a race-war.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This. Why now is this happening more frequently. Firearms and their supposed ease to get is not the answer. That is a cop-out to a much larger problem.
no, there is a problem that led up to this...actually when I was in school we had gun club and also had archary club, and those kids carried their weapons to school on the bus...walked right into school with it, so, yes, things are very different, but the availability of guns back then compared to today, isn't any different.

My entire family hunted, but, we knew if we touched those guns there would be a huge price to pay, both off our hides and regarding any being grounded for the rest of my life.....but I participated in many shoots when I was young, but only when adults were present.

So, no, your absolutely missing the point....you have to pick up a fire arm with the intent to use it...so what happened to the kid before he decided to pick up that fire arm and murder people....why did he snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies