Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:52 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Except that the market has fallen far more than just 2%. The Dow peaked at 26,616 on Jan 26 and now is down more than 3,000 points since then, a fall of more than 11%.
Trump is singlehandedly breaking the bull market. Not an easy thing to do.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Its rare that a president affects the market. Trump is demonstrating how much a president CAN do so if they choose to. He's done some things that brought it higher at the cost of consumers and the environment, and now he has demonstrated how he can crash it via a trade war. Its kind of impressive. I rarely attribute the stock markets to presidents.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The DOW has lost every bit and more of the gain it saw following passage of the tax bill. That takes some work by the loser in the White House.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Now this is far outside my area of legal expertise, but I am thinking shareholders in Amazon have a basis for filing a libel suit against President Trump.

We must recall that Mr. Trump proclaimed, via Twitter, that 1) Amazon pays 'little or no' state and local sales tax; and 2) that the Post Office loses money on every package it delivers for Amazon.

Both tweets were lies.

Now, state laws vary, of course (there is no Federal law regarding slander/libel, save for very narrow circumstances). However, most states do have such laws regarding damages against those that slander/libel a business, causing the business to lose money or take a hit on their reputation.

Indeed, some herein may recall several suits involving 'food slander', including some Texas beef association suing Oprah Winfrey back in the 1980s for libeling the beef industry, and a more recent suit against ABC concerning 'pink slime'.

Mr. Trump has, by his libelous tweets, harmed Amazon's financial status and its reputation.

I would not be surprised if Amazon, on behalf of its shareholders, filing a libel suit against one Donald John Trump.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Now this is far outside my area of legal expertise, but I thinking shareholders in Amazon have a basis for filing a libel suit against President Trump.

We must recall that Mr. Trump proclaimed, via Twitter, that 1) Amazon pays 'little or no' state and local sales tax; and 2) that the Post Office loses money on every package it delivers for Amazon.

Both tweets were lies.

Now, state laws vary, of course (there is no Federal law regarding slander/libel, save for very narrow circumstances). However, most states do have such laws regarding damages against those that slander/libel a business, causing the business to lose money or take a hit on their reputation.

Indeed, some herein may recall several suits involving 'food slander', including some Texas beef association suing Oprah Winfrey back in the 1980s for libeling the beef industry, and a more recent suit against ABC concerning 'pink slime'.

Mr. Trump has, by his libelous tweets, harmed Amazon's financial status and its reputation.

I would not be surprised if Amazon, on behalf of its shareholders, filing a libel suit against one Donald John Trump.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
He's not tanking it. He's manipulating it to the benefit of his cronies at Mar-A-Lago who get to hear what's about to get blasted out on Twitter before it happens.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:02 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
-700 and counting

Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
-700 and counting
Its not pretty, and unfortunately we have seen too many drops of over 600 point this year.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
A drop of less than 2% (or even 2%) is a long way from a "market tanking".
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Except that the market has fallen far more than just 2%. The Dow peaked at 26,616 on Jan 26 and now is down more than 3,000 points since then, a fall of more than 11%.
The Thread is based on the Market Action TODAY.

The Market was around 18,000 when President Trump was elected in 2016 - grew to 19,827.25 on the day of his Inauguration. Grew to a high of 26,616 on January 26th and the PANIC is because it currently stands at 23,526. Constant activity. "The Sky is Falling!!!!"

The PANIC time was 2009 ...... and most of us survived that. Those with CASH thrived, those near retirement really panicked to see their 401K dissolve (ours lost about 70%) - but CASH on hand allowed us to build to about double what we had. Drops in the Market are buying opportunities not a cause for panic, especially in the 2% range for the day.

The ups and downs of the US and World Markets are not nearly as important as the Economy, Job creation, GDP ....... but you surely knew that. Does everyone understand that for every stock "sale" - there is a "buy"?

Consider what you might buy ...... I have.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Now this is far outside my area of legal expertise, but I thinking shareholders in Amazon have a basis for filing a libel suit against President Trump.

Both tweets were lies.

Amazon has the $ and legitimate reason to do this. And I would say, if possible, file against DJT directly so HE has to pay since he's tweeting out of his personal account .... let him face the legal fees, not the tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies