Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times

Advertisements

Here - general guidelines for how colleges determine if a student is in-state or out-of-state. From info designed for prospective college students. Much more accurate than all our gabbing about it.

FinAid | In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Of course, taxpayers should subsidize those who have no legal right to entitlements and benefits !
This is the great and glorious collectivist State.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Kids pay state income tax (which is what funds public state universities)? Since when? And their parents, as illegal aliens, aren't legally allowed to work in the US so wouldn't be paying state income tax, either.
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
State income tax isn't the sole funding for public universities and isn't even the main funding in many cases. Some states don't have state income tax, yet they have public universities.

DACA recipients can be up to 37 years old. Many have jobs and pay income tax.

Generally, adults, not kids, go to college. Some are working adults that have full time jobs and they go to school part time. Other go to school full time and many of these work part time jobs.
So what, as you don't honestly believe it is a net gain for the states, do you?

As to this many have jobs comment, why is it that apologists for illegal aliens only try to frame the stories with the positive examples, and never bring up all the criminals, unskilled bums, drunks, druggies, etc., that make up a sizable portion of them?
I know two so called dreamers who do nothing but get high, rarely work, and have been in and out of prison for things like DUI, robbery, and assault.
How come 60 Minutes, 20/20 and CNN specials don't do stories on those type of dreamers?

The strain on city, county and state budgets is enormous, especially when you factor in all the resources they consume from education, healthcare, childcare, EMS, police, prisons, etc., etc., etc.

`

Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
In state tuition? That would imply they should pay tuition at all! They should go for free, so they can contribute to society.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:38 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Here - general guidelines for how colleges determine if a student is in-state or out-of-state. From info designed for prospective college students. Much more accurate than all our gabbing about it.

FinAid | In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements
Actually I thought it was going to be accurate when it stopped with the generalizations and got to the individual state requirements. Yet click on some of those (for example when I alluded to IN) and the pages are dead/cannot be found/incomplete etc.

Also, some are the entire student guide of 50+ pages. So while some will take the time, our general "gabbing about it" is accurate, especially if you have been through it with trying to get kids in college. That is especially true of athletes where coaches promise the world trying to get your kid to come to their program, only to find out how strict most schools are for out of state recruits.
Heck, I had several coaches essentially say they wish we were illegal, that way they could get us in state tuition, or even free tuition.
Remember, if the kid is a "hardship case" they foot the entire bill anyway. The in state tuition debate rarely even covers that.
However, as an American citizen try to get in free (or your kid) and see how that works out for you.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Actually I thought it was going to be accurate when it stopped with the generalizations and got to the individual state requirements. Yet click on some of those (for example when I alluded to IN) and the pages are dead/cannot be found/incomplete etc.

Also, some are the entire student guide of 50+ pages. So while some will take the time, our general "gabbing about it" is accurate, especially if you have been through it with trying to get kids in college. That is especially true of athletes where coaches promise the world trying to get your kid to come to their program, only to find out how strict most schools are for out of state recruits.
Heck, I had several coaches essentially say they wish we were illegal, that way they could get us in state tuition, or even free tuition.
Remember, if the kid is a "hardship case" they foot the entire bill anyway. The in state tuition debate rarely even covers that.
However, as an American citizen try to get in free (or your kid) and see how that works out for you.
you have an interesting point. I think it really depends on the school, the students, etc. I know that the University of South Caorlina offers out of state students, instate tuition often if they WANT the student.

I wish they didn't -- I think that in state kids should be given more freebies -- after all our state taxes are suppose to help fund the school but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies