Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
78 year old was assaulted by a burglar. He fought back and is now in jail for murder.
The old man should be given a medal and sent home. It's sick and disgusting the way criminals are coddled and treated like snow-flakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
In the article itself it explains that they're getting to the bottom of what happened and even the victims rights groups don't think that he'll even remotely have a chance of having to face trial.

As other posters have well explained, you have to double check facts to make sure that it's not really something other than being described.

*shrug*

Old 04-04-2018, 01:51 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Good friend and my go to auto mechanic, Paul Sasstrup here in Austin. Caught a guy in his girl friends car stealing her Alpine stero system, when they returned from dinner on 6th street. Struggle ensued and the guy took off running with Paul right behind. The guy stopped as he ran out of breath and turned and came at Paul, to fight with a knife in his hand. Paul capped his ass and killed him.

Ruined 7 years of his life, before he was finally cleared.
Was this because he chased after the burglar?

Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Don't bring a screwdriver to a knife fight, especially in Brittan; where people are skilled with edge weapons.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:09 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Of course, I have no idea how law in England works.

However, just this week, in Fort Worth, there was a homeowner that had his case considered by a grand jury. The homeowner had shot and killed a home intruder. The grand jury 'no billed' the homeowner, hence no charges. It was in fact an intruder.

That is actually the way the law works, in most states I imagine. Police are called to a home. The owner is standing over a dead body, killed by the homeowner. Homeowner reports to the police that he caught the intruder inside his house, shot, and killed him.

Now, oddly, the police are not authorized to simply say "Oh, okay then. We'll just drag the body off and you can go back to sleep". When a death is involved, it simply does not work that way.

There have been cases before where a homeowner makes such a claim (intruder, self defense, dead intruder), only for it to be subsequently discovered that the 'intruder' was actually a guest in the home, when an argument broke out, resulting in the death of the guest*. Said homeowner would claim 'intruder', hoping it would all go away. It does not work that way.

So, this is not an example of 'liberalism' run amok, if that was your intention in starting this thread.

*I have a specific case in mind; the homeowner was out drinking, and met a fellow heavy drinker at a bar; they went back to homeowner's house at closing time, got even drunker, began to argue, shots rang out, visitor dead, homeowner claimed he broke into the house. All fell apart when they traced his movements that night back to the bar.
I was listening to a 'call in for advise' show.

A caller said he had surprised a burglar in his house and had shot him. The burglar died.
The man, afraid of the consequences of his action, dragged the body out to his car and loaded it into the trunk.
He then drove out to Alligator Alley (this was in Florida) and dumped the body. Then he returned home.
He never told anyone, and no one ever came looking for the burglar.
Now, several years later, he wanted to know what might happen if he told the police.
I never heard the answer because the lawyer said he was going to talk to him privately.

I heard this call-in about 35 years ago. I have always wondered about this case. I am sure the lawyer told him to remain quiet, but, still, I have wondered.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:16 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

A caller said he had surprised a burglar in his house and had shot him. The burglar died.
The man, afraid of the consequences of his action, dragged the body out to his car and loaded it into the trunk.
He then drove out to Alligator Alley (this was in Florida) and dumped the body. Then he returned home.
Now, several years later, he wanted to know what might happen if he told the police.
I never heard the answer because the lawyer said he was going to talk to him privately.

I heard this call-in about 35 years ago. I have always wondered about this case. I am sure the lawyer told him to remain quiet, but, still, I have wondered.
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about

Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Of course, it is probable that the caller simply made it all up. It is not logical for a person (whom had lawfully protected himself) to drag around a dead body in his car, and then dump said body in a place frequented by alligators (well, unless a Mob member). The person obviously, if what he said was true, put his own freedom on the line by engaging in such activity. Even a grand jury would consider his actions that of guilt. Innocent men do not drag dead bodies around.

No doubt, the lawyer (I assume one of those 'call the lawyer' advice show) made sure to never meet this person in person, or to even ask his name over the phone.

Probably just said "Don't tell me your name. Don't let me know where you live. Now, listen to me: shut-up and hang-up".

Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
His problem is that he fought back in the new Liberal progressive world. The rights of the individual to protect life and property is an old time notion.
In the new world order the guy should have offered the robber a cup of tea, his possessions and a possible go at his wife if the robber was so inclined.

Still when someone dies there is an investigation. What if it is found out that the old guy lured the younger to his house then killed him? That is a different story.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I recall a famous case in England many years ago where a man armed with a knife broke into a family's home. There was a struggle and the father hit him with the only thing he had for defense, a cricket bat. The father was arrested. These things seem more common in the UK I've noticed.

But they have odd laws there. If you go away for vacation you could come home to find squatters living in your house and there is nothing you can do. Also Travellers, Irish crooks, drive all over the country in caravans, camp anywhere, trash the place and move on. Nothing ever happens to them as they are a protected class. They will cry 'racism' which I find odd since they are white

Here is another case involving someone I used to know
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnist...ting-gang.html

Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Id imagine not cheap either when you factor in legal bills.

Moral of the story? You really don't want to kill someone in self defense unless you really have too.

He had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies