Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Have mandatory drug testing and very short time limits for food stamps.
Florida proved that mandatory drug testing was a waste of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Having a high enough net worth to care, other than on principle, about the exit tax usually will = having an income above 149k. The U.S. is the only OECD country that taxes non resident citizens on worldwide income and, IIRC, only one of two countries worldwide (Eritrea is the only other country I'm aware of).
I’m going to be perfectly honest. They are very good at keeping track of those who aren’t filing. Are used to help people file for their spouses to return to the USA and you wouldn’t believe the amount of people who are unaware that they had to file taxes every year.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I’m going to be perfectly honest. They are very good at keeping track of those who aren’t filing. Are used to help people file for their spouses to return to the USA and you wouldn’t believe the amount of people who are unaware that they had to file taxes every year.
You're focusing on the filing requirement and missing the point of my post, which was that you were pointing out what is largely a distinction without a difference re mentioning the minimum yearly income amount. It's sad that there are so many (the people you refer to above) who don't get good tax advice....or, even more regrettably, perhaps don't seek any advice at all.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Undocumented individuals cannot collect any welfare so how they can collect more than legal immigrants is truly fascinating.

FYI a legal immigrant (one that is sponsored), can't collect any public assistance for the first 5 they are in the U.S. Any assistance they may receive is charged dollar for dollar back to the person who sponsored them.

And as for google being my friend, sorry no. I don't use it as they track you. Other search engines are much better.
lol - Shockingly, they do collect welfare. "Wide, deep and often" as we used to say. But please don't change you mind just because you are wrong.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - Shockingly, they do collect welfare. "Wide, deep and often" as we used to say. But please don't change you mind just because you are wrong.
Care to offer any proof?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
If poverty was really caused by wealth inequality, let's end poverty by simply giving everyone EQUAL WEALTH. No one ever
needs money again.
So who is going to work or trade their property for more money that they don't need?
Why bother?

And that, dear readers, is how civilization collapsed because riches do not make prosperity. Even the starving children are fabulously wealthy.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If poverty was really caused by wealth inequality, let's end poverty by simply giving everyone EQUAL WEALTH. No one ever
needs money again.
So who is going to work or trade their property for more money that they don't need?
Why bother?

And that, dear readers, is how civilization collapsed because riches do not make prosperity. Even the starving children are fabulously wealthy.
You keep bringing up this strawman. What I personally want is not everyone to be equal, but for the disparity to be less than it is now, but enough to still motivate people. Because they way it is now, the people on bottom have a permanent boot on their neck

Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You keep bringing up this strawman. What I personally want is not everyone to be equal, but for the disparity to be less than it is now, but enough to still motivate people. Because they way it is now, the people on bottom have a permanent boot on their neck
Strawman - a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted.

If it is easily refuted, please show evidence that sophisticated modern people, in general, will work and trade without the motivation of NEEDING MONEY.

I can't find much evidence, so my argument that MONEY doesn't resolve poverty is not a sham argument.

There are plenty of "primitive" cultures throughout history that did not use money. The question then becomes did these moneyless cultures have more or less poverty, suffering and want?

The point is simple : prosperity is not based on the volume and value of money tokens, or who has them. Prosperity is based on the prodigious production, equitable trade, and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.

There is no correlation between the marketplace and the sum and value of circulating money tokens, especially the notes, borrowed into existence, at usury. Ergo, no wealth redistribution or equality will eliminate poverty, only penalize the producers and subsidize the nonproducers. Common sense tells us that the former will decline and the latter will increase, eventually collapsing civilization.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Have mandatory drug testing and very short time limits for food stamps.
All mandatory drug testing does is make the companies who provide the testing wealthy. I don't want my tax dollars being used to keep their business afloat.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
I think the relevant part is Trump's hypocrisy - keeping in mind how he insulted Obama on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies