Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 04:33 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,453,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Gee do you think that maybe rich people would be more generous if the government didn't take 1/2 their money so the "poor" can get their free (diabetes inducing) soda?
The rich are never going to donate enough money to replace social safety net programs? I posted an article from a very conservative source, if you aren't willing to accept their conclusion then feel free to find another.

The net profit for the top earning companies in 2016 were as follows:
Apple 45 billion
Berkshire Hathaway 24 billion
JP Morgan Chase 24 billion
Wells Fargo 22 billion
Alphabet $19 billion
Samsung $19 billion
Toyota $17 billion
Johnson & Johnson $16 billion
Walmart $14 billion

That is after tax, so if they were inclined to donate more to charity it seems like they were in a very good position to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Enough do to change the outcome of elections.

Essentially, they keep voting themselves more free stuff paid for by others.
That's nonsense. If the poor are all democrats and vote in large enough numbers to change the outcome of elections Donald Trump would not be sitting in the White House

Old 04-09-2018, 04:37 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,846,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The rich are never going to donate enough money to replace social safety net programs? I posted an article from a very conservative source, if you aren't willing to accept their conclusion then feel free to find another.

Apple 45 billion
Wells Fargo 22 billion
Alphabet $19 billion
Samsung $19 billion
Toyota $17 billion
Walmart $14 billion

That is after tax, so if they were inclined to donate more to charity it seems like they were in a very good position to do so.
I'm talking about private citizens. "Rich people".

Old 04-09-2018, 04:41 PM

89,375 posts, read 45,100,927 times
Quote:

Apple 45 billion
Wells Fargo 22 billion
Alphabet $19 billion
Samsung $19 billion
Toyota $17 billion
Walmart $14 billion

The corporations don't get the profits. Their shareholders do. Guess who that is?

Millions of working and retiree Americans have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions (public and private) and/or retirement accounts.

Pie chart included:

US workers/retirees have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pension/retirement accounts

For example, CalPERS, the California Public Employee Retirement System, is the largest (highest total value in investment holdings) institutional investor in the U.S.

Quote:
"Can you name the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett; as a matter of fact, it is not a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System"...

Exxon
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase
The Ten Largest Holdings of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

Come on, people. STOP being financially illiterate. /SMH

Old 04-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I'm talking about private citizens. "Rich people".
Trump just gave the ultra rich a big wet kiss in his tax bill, so maybe you would like to contact each of those people and tell them your plan...that they pay for all social safety net programs? Sounds like a noble cause

Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The corporations don't get the profits. Their shareholders do. Guess who that is? Millions of working and retiree Americans have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions (public and private) and/or retirement accounts.
For example, CalPERS, the California Public Employee Retirement System, is the largest (highest total value in investment holdings) institutional investor in the U.S.
Come on, people. STOP being financially illiterate. /SMH
We were talking about the ability for the rich and I included rich corporations in that to sustain our social safety net programs with charitable contributions. I have no idea what that has to do with CalPERS, maybe you lost track of what the topic was?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,732,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As long as you keep those who subside on the scraps from the rich people's table fighting over who gets more scraps, they'll not stop to wonder why they're being fed scraps in the first place. But Jay F, you are not supposed to broadcast that strategy. Bad drills.

That's what is great about our country. If you wanna be rich you're more then free to pursue that dream. If you're satisfied with working for wages that's your choice too. The problem is people like you who expect the french fry cook to be as wealthy as the entrepreneur.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 PM

89,375 posts, read 45,100,927 times
Quote:
We were talking about the ability for the rich and I included rich corporations in that to sustain our social safety net programs with charitable contributions. I have no idea what that has to do with CalPERS, maybe you lost track of what the topic was?
The corporations themselves aren't "rich." Their shareholders own the financial stakes in the corporations. Literally tens of millions of American workers and retirees, if not more, depend on those corporations being profitable to fund their retirement draws. If you can't understand that, my advice about not being financially illiterate anymore fits.

I would honestly like to know why some people can't/don't understand that.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,846,306 times
Quote:
Trump just gave the ultra rich a big wet kiss in his tax bill, so maybe you would like to contact each of those people and tell them your plan...that they pay for all social safety net programs? Sounds like a noble cause
They still pay way too much tax. Why should some pay millions and others pay nothing?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The corporations themselves aren't "rich." Their shareholders own the financial stakes in the corporations. Literally tens of millions of American workers and retirees, if not more, depend on those corporations being profitable to fund their retirement draws. If you can't understand that, my advice about not being financially illiterate anymore fits.

I would honestly like to know why some people can't/don't understand that.
Why don't you stay on topic? We were talking about private concerns supporting our social safety net programs through charitable contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies