Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,658,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A lot of what you said is relevant, particularly the parts I bolded.

Too many people DON'T know how to use credit (debt) effectively. It should be common sense, but sadly, WAY TOO MANY are lacking such. We simply can't save people hell-bent on financial self-destruction. They make their own beds, and are then penalized by having to lie in them.

On the student loan crisis...

Why Student Loan Debt is Crippling Millennials

Simple solutions: Earn scholarships that cover all or almost all of the costs, or go to a much less expensive college/university.

Regarding the credit card debt? Don't charge on credit what you cannot afford to buy with cash on hand. Stop living beyond your means.
America's government has long had deficits and debt growth. And our billionaire president Donald Trump just did tax cuts that raise middle class Americans income by 1.5% and raise the richest 0.1% of Americans income by 14.2%.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#5d58d04065b9

And Trumps tax cuts for the richest 1% of Americans will add trillions to our national debt.
Trump and GOP Tax Cut Could Cost Your Kids $2.2 Trillion | Time

Should responsibility regarding debt be preached to our billionaire politicians, or should responsibility of debt only be preached to regular Americans involving their credit cards and student loans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,449,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
We need class warfare: ordinary Americans vs the corporate interests that have taken over our government.

In America you need over $900 million dollars in campaign funds to run for president. Can the average American raise the $900 million needed to run for president? NO. And our politicians get their campaign money from large corporations and billionaires, and those are the people and groups that control our government.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...paign-finance/

Today in America billionaire CEO's are in a 15% to 20% tax bracket, and large corporations pay a average 12% effective tax rate
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-f...for-dividends/
https://www.thebalance.com/trump-s-t...ts-you-4113968
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...axes/81399094/

And non-CEO's making over $500,000 are in a 37% tax bracket, and small businesses pay a average 19.8% effective tax rate.
https://www.thebalance.com/trump-s-t...ts-you-4113968
https://www.thebalance.com/how-much-...es-pay-3974568

We live in a America where ordinary Americans can't run for president because they can't raise $900 million dollars needed to run. We need a class warfare where the working poor and the welfare poor go against the corporate interest that control our government to their best interests, and then we could have real Americans controlling our government (instead of billionaires and large corporations.)
No we really need to be taxing billionaires at 0% and their companies at 0% too, because taxation is really just theft, and we need to thank them for making our country better and all the minimum wage jobs they give Americans from their generosity.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 PM

16,637 posts, read 8,636,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I posted a link, hopefully the FCC knows what they are talking about since that is where I got the information. If you envy the poor so much, then quit your job and jump on the gravy train
Yeah, as if the government is going to come straight out in plain English and tell people all the benefits they are working to pay for bums. The code words like "universal service fee" on all the phone bills which is mandated to be paid by us. It is iniquitously worded to pretend it is not a tax, but that is exactly what it is. It reminds me of how Obama & Co via Johnathan Gruber pretend it was not a tax and depended on the stupidity of the American public not to realize it.

As to leaving my job, why should I?
I worked my way up from poverty as most people do when they start out. At one point in my life I was working 2 full time and one part time jobs. I rented a room from people, and eventually shared a place with 2 other guys. We worked for everything we had, and then I went back to school while still working to get ahead. But my story is not unique, as I know plenty of men & women who have done the exact same thing.
I unlike many of today's leeches would not take government assistance because I was raised with pride and integrity.
So don't play games, as you know what I said was true about Americas poor being the envy of the worlds poor.

`

Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Quote:
The corporations don't get the profits. Their shareholders do. Guess who that is?

Millions of working and retiree Americans have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions (public and private) and/or retirement accounts.

Pie chart included:

US workers/retirees have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pension/retirement accounts

For example, CalPERS, the California Public Employee Retirement System, is the largest (highest total value in investment holdings) institutional investor in the U.S.

The Ten Largest Holdings of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

Come on, people. STOP being financially illiterate. /SMH
Is there no end to your astounding financial ignorance? You still don't even understand that there are other types of investments other than equities, and now you don't have a clue as to how corporate profits are distributed.

You know nothing. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The new abused welfare system is disability, and most people who get the benefits now don't need them and through some mental gymnastics don't consider themselves welfare recipients.
Another one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Do you have any idea how hard it is to qualify for disability? Turn off your idiot radio station.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Is there no end to your astounding financial ignorance? You still don't even understand that there are other types of investments other than equities, and now you don't have a clue as to how corporate profits are distributed.
You've been corrected on your lack of understanding many times before. Suffice it to say that tens of millions of American workers'/retirees' pension funds and retirement accounts wouldn't hold $27 trillion worth of investments in aggregate if doing so weren't profitable. CalPERS' (the largest institutional investor in the U.S.) top ten equity positions have already been listed.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You've been corrected on your lack of understanding many times before. Suffice it to say that tens of millions of American workers'/retirees' pension funds and retirement accounts wouldn't hold $27 trillion worth of investments in aggregate if doing so weren't profitable. CalPERS' (the largest institutional investor in the U.S.) top ten equity positions have already been listed.
You just continue to babble utter nonsense. You still do not understand the difference between equities, government bonds, and other investment vehicles. You literally do not understand what we are even arguing about; you are completely ignorant of economics. Even a high school economics student is better educated than you on this topic.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
You just continue to babble utter nonsense. You still do not understand the difference between equities, government bonds, and other investment vehicles. You literally do not understand what we are even arguing about; you are completely ignorant of economics. Even a high school economics student is better educated than you on this topic.
Yeah, right. That's why C-level executives are paid in part in stock options. Because they're not profitable.

Get a clue.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right. That's why C-level executives are paid in part in stock options. Because they're not profitable.

Get a clue.
I said nothing even remotely resembling that. Like I said, you literally do not even understand what we are arguing about. You're in completely over your head.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I said nothing even remotely resembling that. Like I said, you literally do not even understand what we are arguing about. You're in completely over your head.
Look, you're deluded if you think pension funds and retirement accounts hold any significant volumes of government bonds. Why? Very simple: the rate of return is too low. They all have yield targets they need to meet, and government bonds just don't do it.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Look, you're deluded if you think pension funds and retirement accounts hold any significant volumes of government bonds. Why? Very simple: the rate of return is too low. They all have yield targets they need to meet, and government bonds just don't do it.

Quote:
The value of U.S. pension funds at the end of 2015 was $21.7 trillion. The funds' managers prudently manage assets in a method meant to ensure that retirees receive promised benefits. For many years this meant that funds were limited to investing primarily in government securities, investment-grade bonds, and a small amount placed in blue-chip stocks. Changing market conditions and the need to maintain a high rate of return have resulted in pension plan rules that allow investments in most asset classes.
https://www.investopedia.com/article...lly-invest.asp

Quote:
The robust stock market of 2013 helped pension funds close funding gaps created five years earlier. Pension fund managers gained confidence in 2013 that their pension funds were in a better financial position to meet future obligations. As a result, they reduced their stock market risk and protected earnings by purchasing U.S. government and corporate bonds. The move was successful, according to Mercer Investments, which reports that the average corporate pension fund moved from a 75 percent funding level at the end of 2012 to 95 percent funding in late 2013.

This uptick in bond buying has caused corporate pension funds to play a more influential role in the bond market, since pension managers tend to hold bonds for the long term. As more and more companies adopt the strategy of buying more bonds, pension demand could total $150 billion a year. It is estimated that corporate pension funds buy more than 50 percent of new long-term bonds, up from an estimated 25 percent a few years ago.
https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=35524

Again... You. Know. Nothing. Just stop, for heaven's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies