Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 639,031 times

Advertisements

https://www.lincolninst.edu/publicat...ss-communities

In my opinion this is one of the best examples of the clear shift away from European democracy into a third world political/labor law/social structure I can imagine.

With the exception of marijuana legalization and gay marriage it seems to be practically everything is turning 3rd world.

Conservatives push union busting right-to-work laws while liberals push gun control, it seems like both political parties are bent on changing America into the third world.

Are soccer moms going to be more like American Preppers in the future LOL... it's only a matter of time till we see up-armored minivans.

I blame the drug war, free trade and privatization of government services...I'd like to hear your opinion on what's turning America into the third world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
IMO, people have learned a little about gated communities in the last 20 something years.

Gates will not save one from criminals or from ones self.

Recently, 3 thugs got under the fence, robbed and murdered a couple, then used their car and gate opener making multiple trips Back and forth to the house. Little did they know about cameras. But the cameras nor the gate saved the homeowners.

Every year, we get a story about a baby killing themselves or somebody. The latest gated community grandad left his pistol on the night stand. Baby killed himself.

And then there is always the garage sale where the home owner puts the gate code on Craig's list.

Gates make people feel good, but the rarely save anybody

Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
So you post an article about gated communities from 1995, complain about the current state of politics and then blame it all the war on drugs, free trade, and privatization? I have little kids and I have an easier time following their train of thought.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post

In my opinion this is one of the best examples of the clear shift away from European democracy
Personally I prefer American Democracy to European Democracy, so a shift away from the Euros isn't a big loss.

Quote:
into a third world political/labor law/social structure I can imagine.

With the exception of marijuana legalization and gay marriage it seems to be practically everything is turning 3rd world.

Conservatives push union busting right-to-work laws while liberals push gun control, it seems like both political parties are bent on changing America into the third world.

Are soccer moms going to be more like American Preppers in the future LOL... it's only a matter of time till we see up-armored minivans.

I blame the drug war, free trade and privatization of government services...
I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
I'd like to hear your opinion on what's turning America into the third world?
Well, we aren't, for one.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Gated communities are simply a "ruse" to make some people feel safe.

They are part and parcel of the "consumerism" of America, which also included so-called "white flight". It's not a far jump from "safe and police patrolled" burbs to having a gated entrance to such burbs.

But, yeah, they don't protect anyone. My parents had a place in Hilton Head in a gated enclave (many or more of them are there) and I could walk or bike around the gates with no trouble at all. Famous CEO's and sports figures lived in that place.

The OP does have a point in this sense. The more that Americans identify with "fear of the other", the worse off our nation becomes.

I remember visiting my parents and playing tennis on the 12 clay tennis courts with the ice water and pro instructors. One day there was a "social" tennis match and everyone hung around with food and drink afterwards. A woman started talking to me and her immediate assumption was that my blood ran dark Red (GOP) and that, of course, I was wealthy beyond means and supported George Bush and unlimited "right" to develop, etc.

It's a tribal thing. I didn't say a word...I never do. But it's interesting to watch. People make fools of themselves constantly by assuming that others think in the same narrow way they do. This is especially true when it comes to money.....a very selfish person will ALWAYS assume (and in some ways they are correct) that everyo,ne is for sale...and has, in fact, already been bought.

Anyway, I would somewhat agree with the basic premise here. I can tell you this much. In the (3) places where I live there are no gates. There are also very few gated communities, even in relatively wealthy areas of MA. or RI. - people are not scared of "the other" - for a couple reasons. Firstly, they themselves likely have come from middle class or similar roots, so who are they to look down at others.

Another big ideal is that MA is a "commonwealth". We are all in it together in terms of the basics. Not to say we think alike, but we live and let live.

I'd say gated communities are much more common in areas that lean more toward the right. Obviously it cannot be proven or disproven, but I also have familiarity with the Bay Area, Boston, etc. The Woz and Steve Jobs and large areas of houses worth millions....have no gates at all.

Note - I looked around and this subject has been researched - but a lot of the articles are paid (cost money). However, the general suggestion is as suspected - they are often the result of inequality and lack of community...in many cases, they can actually increase crime (surrounding area)...

Last edited by craigiri; 04-12-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:

In my opinion this is one of the best examples of the clear shift away from European democracy into a third world political/labor law/social structure I can imagine.

I blame the drug war, free trade and privatization of government services...I'd like to hear your opinion on what's turning America into the third world?
You do know that crime in the US has been going DOWN since your 1995 article was written, don't you?

No, it appears you don't.

The US has had gated communities for at least a hundred years.

I'd suggest you get out and observe the world around you a little more.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:

It's a valid subject, but I think your assignment of blame is not totally correct. The Drug War is definitely some of the problem tho.

See my post above. It is a function of fear....but usually unwarranted fear.

I read a book a few years back. In it, the author (a young white dude) travels to every city in the USA and seeks out the most dangerous areas as told by residents and stats. Then he walks through and around every single danger zone. Guess what? Nothing happens.

Our society has turned millions into cast-offs and actually makes a LOT of money from crime, war, pollution (medical $$, etc.) and other negative things.

We really need to agree on the basics - like decrim, universal health care, no "wars for ideology or oil" and the like. Then we need to build up education and infrastructure.

I have done my part. I have three sane kids and they are raising three sane grand kids. Our state has legalized pot and is light on most all drugs.

I can't see where "free trade" makes gated communities happen.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, it appears you don't.

The US has had gated communities for at least a hundred years.

I'd suggest you get out and observe the world around you a little more.
That seems disingenuous. What percentage of people who bought homes in 1920 to 1970 bought them in security patrolled gated communities?

All the people I know (I'm 64) were brought up in communities where people knew their neighbors. This changed as I grew up, so I would say that it ties in with the well known "white flight".

My guess is that both the numbers and percentages have vastly increased.

As far as real crime, you are correct.....but, remember, it's PERCEPTION of crime that drives people to seek safety..whether by arming up or buying more locks or hiding behind a minimum wage security guard.

Perception is everything...we used to say in the business world.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:47 AM

309 posts, read 246,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So you post an article about gated communities from 1995, complain about the current state of politics and then blame it all the war on drugs, free trade, and privatization? I have little kids and I have an easier time following their train of thought.
Lol, one of the best comment of today

Old 04-12-2018, 10:50 AM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
Gated communities being safer is a myth. I live in Las Vegas where practically every neighborhood is walled and gated and all you have to do to get in most of them is piggy back behind the car in front of you or hop the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies