Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More untrue hyperbole. Just because these unions are in Red states doesn't mean their not a corrupt as in blue states. They bargain against the people that pay them, the taxpayer. Then the Democrats give them sweetheart contracts for their support. Rinse, and repeat. It is a corrupt system, and we pay for it. You should be up in arms. Their using OUR MONEY to solely support Democrats, so in effect many people are funding candidates, and a party in which they disagree by the force of government.
Well you could lose the pension envy and become a teacher, or a cop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unions in red states aren't as bad as unions in blue states? I don't know of a single teachers union that is not part of the American Federation of Teachers which is a branch of the AFL-CIO.
It doesn't matter which way a state leans. The AFT, and NEA are corrupt organizations in any state.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Government workers are the people you know and see everyday. I swear, some of you think they're born in egg pods and hatched in an empty swimming pool. I didn't influence or have any say in the pension that I signed on for 30 years ago. At that time, during the roaring 90's, everyone I knew said I was a moron for choosing to work for state government instead of working for myself. I certainly could have made a LOT more money during those years. Now you want to chastise me for my choice once again, only this time I'm greedy because I make too much. Boy howdy, you just can't win for losing sometimes.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
The Multiemployer Pension system that insures 10 Million American workers is also in trouble, income doesn't keep up with benefits and they keep chasing returns. This is backed by the federal government.

The time is now to ensure multiemployer pension plan security | TheHill

Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
By the way, those who retire with government pensions can't collect full social security. SS figures the amount you would normally get, subtracts 2/3 of the amount of your government pension, and that is what SS gives you. And some government pensioners don't even get that, because some entities opted long ago to not participate in Social Security. I will get the much reduced SS because my husband paid into it, but my county had opted out of SS, so if I had not married, I would be getting zero from SS. Those rules are to prevent "double dipping" by receiving both a pension and full Social Security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Truth. I retired from the State of Alaska. Social Security reduced my SS benefit from $985 to $572 because of the WEP provision.
The above depends on whether the governmental unit opted out of Social Security. I get my full SS as well as my pension since I, and my employer (sort of for the pension since money was diverted from the pension fund to the General Fund for 8 years) contributed to both.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/stateandlocal.html

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10051.pdf

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v74n3/v74n3p55.html

Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Next few decades will see several Moments of Truth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...D85?li=BBnbfcL
Nothing new here.

The constitutions of 7 states, including my own, protect public pensions. Public employees will get the benefits that existed on their date of hire, regardless of state politics and financial distress. No certaint that an amendment to state constitutions will eliminate accred benefits.

Unlike the private sector, states cannot file for bankruptcy.

My state's pension system has been in bad shape for 70 years. It has not prevented the state from increasing benefits over time. It has not mattered who lived in the Governor's mansion or party. They all went with the flow and kicked the can.

My state's Constitution also imposes a flat income tax. Everyone pays the same rate which is less than many red states impose on higher income earners.

States have been relying on investment income for funding for decades. Many states invested in AAA rated private label MBS derivatives that were misrated by the independent credit rating agencies. Congress gave the independent credit rating agencies a pass.

No one gets or stay elected on a platform of increasing taxes to fund pensions or reduce debt. Many do however, not get reelected because they failed to produce a magical solution to fund the underfunded pensions they inherited from decades of prior administrations.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Teachers in red states are walking out backed up by unions. Unions actually care about the middle class unlike republicans who care about the rich.
Pay us or your kids will suffer....

Normally when a group holds a gun to our kids they get locked up of done away with...Not the Teachers union......

Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Unlike the private sector, states cannot file for bankruptcy.

as of now, but neither of us know if that will last.

Feds will have to choose between allowing it, or bailing out large state like Illinois, which wil quickly see NJ & Ct funds insolvent, too.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 AM

Machts nichts to me, I gave my x 60% of PERA and kept the 457b and 401a....

Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
By the way, those who retire with government pensions can't collect full social security. SS figures the amount you would normally get, subtracts 2/3 of the amount of your government pension, and that is what SS gives you. And some government pensioners don't even get that, because some entities opted long ago to not participate in Social Security. I will get the much reduced SS because my husband paid into it, but my county had opted out of SS, so if I had not married, I would be getting zero from SS. Those rules are to prevent "double dipping" by receiving both a pension and full Social Security.
Best check your facts there big shooter. I will retire from a Municipal job in few years with all my SS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies