Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM

17,368 posts, read 11,335,214 times

Advertisements

There's little incentive to make more money when you know all it will do is put you in a higher tax bracket so you pay more for the half that has no tax burden.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,130,122 times
Of the 30% of my income that is stolen from me via income tax (not including all the other taxes and fees), about 20% of that is used to maintain a worldwide hegemonic military empire and to blow people up overseas.

So I'm involuntarily funding about $7500 to the military which means that 3 weeks of my work life is spent on death and destruction.

'Murica!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,561,302 times
My wife and I grew up lower-middle/middle-middle class, and are now one-percenters. There were times when our income was increasing that we resented the additional tax burden, but now that we've been at this level for a few years, we've come to terms with progressive taxation. Having a lot to lose means we have come to appreciate that we do benefit tremendously from the stability, services and infrastructure that our tax dollars pay for.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Of the 30% of my income that is stolen from me via income tax (not including all the other taxes and fees), about 20% of that is used to maintain a worldwide hegemonic military empire and to blow people up overseas.

So I'm involuntarily funding about $7500 to the military which means that 3 weeks of my work life is spent on death and destruction.

'Murica!
"This bullet sponsored by rebeldor"

*shreds through a little girl playing jump rope in Damascus*

Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM

89,291 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
So someone that does well and makes more money than the year before, continues to climb the ladder, maybe even continues their education, and likely sacrifices time away from their personal life and families shouldn’t question why more money is taken away from them at the end of the year?

I don’t think anyone should feel guilty for accumulating wealth and wanting to keep more of it. Most of the time in my experience it results from hard work and sacrifice. I have to admit it’s a little deflating to work your —- off and get a nice bonus because of it only to have it whacked pretty good by taxes

I don’t know what your definition of big money is personally I’ve never felt crippled although I have expenses just like anyone else maybe larger expenses in regard to student loans.
A lot of people have NO clue what's going on with who pays a LOT in taxes, and who's getting by with not even pulling their own weight.

2 important charts:

1) Here's who pays now, in relation to their share of the income:

Chart: Income Share vs. Federal Income Tax Share, By Income Level

Everyone should look in the mirror and admit to themselves if they're a net contributor, or a net taker. (Hint: The bottom 95% are net takers. They're NOT pulling their weight.)

And lest anyone thinks that's an anomaly and the REALLY high income earners pay far less than that, here's the actual IRS data on the percentage of the total income they earn vs. the percentage of the federal income tax revenue they pay.

Top 0.1%, minimum income: $2.22 million

Earn 10.19% of the total income

But pay 19.5% of the total federal income tax revenue

Very similar to the differential between what the top 1% (minimum income: $481,000) earns and what they pay.

When the 2018 data is released with the new tax law in effect, we'll see if the disproportion remains, or dwindled substantially, thereby creating a more fair taxation system.

2)
Here's the average percentage of the year those in the following income groups must work for free. That's time away from family/friends/their children, etc. It's tax slavery, and it is FAR from evenly distributed:

Total Effective Local, State, and Federal Tax Rates, by Income Cohort

Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy...

Federal Tax Rates (includes individual and corporate income tax, payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare, and the estate tax):
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/sites...F/T13-0035.pdf

Local and State Tax Rates (includes state income tax, real estate tax, private property tax, and sales tax):
Executive Summary | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

Those in the top 1% are tax slaves for 43% of each year.

Those in middle class are tax slaves for 25-27% of each year.

The lowest quintile (20%) are tax slaves for 13% of each year.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what person wouldn't be mad at seeing their taxes go up?
Im sure its natural to hate to see yourbmoney go down. But at the end of the day, if you can still afford that 5 bedroom house with a 2 car garage, a BMW for you and the lady and go out and have a nice meal every week, cant see ut being a big deal.

But thats my view on living good. If you can have the bare essentials and also afford to enjoy life, whats really there to complain about?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM

11,154 posts, read 10,735,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Im sure its natural to hate to see yourbmoney go down. But at the end of the day, if you can still afford that 5 bedroom house with a 2 car garage, a BMW for you and the lady and go out and have a nice meal every week, cant see ut being a big deal.

But thats my view on living good. If you can have the bare essentials and also afford to enjoy life, whats really there to complain about?
Maybe the fact that our government has a way of legally committing robbery and uses it as a way to punish the successful?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
I really don't care one way or the other. I think we should have a flat tax - a straight percentage, no tax credits at all, no exemptions, the same for everyone. It bothers me more that the government incentivizes having children people can't afford not just with taxes, either.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,129,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Maybe the fact that our government has a way of legally committing robbery and uses it as a way to punish the successful?
Isnt it every citizen’s duty to put some money in the pot so we can have roads and many other things we take for granted?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,130,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
"This bullet sponsored by rebeldor"

*shreds through a little girl playing jump rope in Damascus*
Well hey, at least it was a QUALITY bullet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies