Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:48 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Low pay and poor training equals shoddy product. That is a corporate business model. It doesn’t have anything to do with being a deplorable. I’m not paying thousands of dollars for a vehicle that’s going to have a lot of smaller “issues” before they have the big ones.

People can only insult you if you give them permission to do so. You really need to shake off that inferiority complex. Just because your family didn’t own a plantation doesn’t mean you’re less than the plantation owner.

If you think you’re being called a deplorable then you must believe you are. Becoming well read, well informed, well spoken and well mannered isn’t expensive. It does take a strong will.
Well for years the big 3 were the best paying jobs with the best benefits and also made some serious junk. Thats how Toyota and Honda took over such a huge market share.
I have driven nothing but Toyota since 1991. That is until 1998. Bought a ford Ranger. Loaded. It loved the shop more than my house. Only vehicle I ever owned for less than 6 years. Got rid of it after 30 months. Went back to Toyota trucks.
I bought a Honda Civic in January this year. I dont need a 4 wheel drive where I live now.

Toyota quality control is an industry standard. I thought it would slip when they started producing cars here, but it didn't. I mean other than the Chinese made components.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 01:58 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
oh -- you missed the more subtle points of my post.

The OP -- trying to show how the economy is booming touts the addition of 400 jobs.

I was pointing out that the economy was booming three years ago and that there will be a much more significant expansion, addition to the economy that has nothing to do with tax cuts, Trump.

Of course it is a right to work state and companies like it.
GM sure didn't like it after Right to Work passed in Oklahoma. So it closed the plant.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:57 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
GM sure didn't like it after Right to Work passed in Oklahoma. So it closed the plant.
I think it was just that GM was going through some hard times period and at the time, demand for SUVs (built at OKC) was going down probably due to fuel prices shooting up. - whether union or not wasn't the major factor, IMO. But that doesn't explain why Arlington Assembly (which also built and still builds trucks, SUVs) stayed open - and isn't TX a right to work state?

Maybe the point is that RTW won't necessarily save a plant from closing compared to one in a non RTW state.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:11 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,869,746 times
Quote:
Of course.

Reason is employees are paid low wages and are poorly trained. It’s Mississippi-they’re last on everything.

They’re going to assemble the Toyota Corolla over there. Yuck

We've owned a few Toyotas over the years, bulletproof and high quality in every respect. Being built here will drop that quality significantly. Sorry to say it, but our workers are not held to the same standards as the Japanese workers..........especially in Mississippi.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times
Quote:
Low pay and poor training equals shoddy product. That is a corporate business model. It doesn’t have anything to do with being a deplorable. I’m not paying thousands of dollars for a vehicle that’s going to have a lot of smaller “issues” before they have the big ones.
The South is full of Japanese and German auto plants. Which of their products are "shoddy?" Is BMW shoddy? How about Camry, Accord or Optima? Heck, they even export it back to their home markets.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:19 AM

25,607 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We've owned a few Toyotas over the years, bulletproof and high quality in every respect. Being built here will drop that quality significantly. Sorry to say it, but our workers are not held to the same standards as the Japanese workers..........especially in Mississippi.
You know nothing at all. The Corolla has been manufactured in Mississippi for years (2011) and shows to be the most reliable car in America. Blue Springs, MS put out 170,000 cars annually.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...aper-to-repair

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-28-2018 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 04-28-2018, 12:13 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,246,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Really? I wouldn't call lower taxes, fewer regulations, a lack of union (or reduced influence) influence, etc. sad.

Lipstick on a frog.

Here in California, I've met many many people who escaped (their words) hometowns like that. Their #1 goal in life since they were young were to get the hell out, and their biggest accomplishment in life is that they succeeded.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, I have a Kentucky built Camry and it's quite well built.

The vast majority of the vehicles sold by Toyota in North America are built in North America.

I don't think the Mississippi built vehicles will be any less quality.

My quibble is that the state government is giving away the store to corporations at taxpayer expense.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Toyota is gonna do exactly what Nissan does in Mississippi: the engineers and plant managers will be permanent. Everyone else will be temps on a contract. When they get close to having their year in, they get let go.

Toyota isn’t gonna hire a bunch of new people on a full time permanent basis and give them a nice phat wage. Not in Mississippi. Not in Texas either as a matter of fact.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
GM's problems pre-date Obama. They have struggled for some time because of their pension issues

But good try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies