Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 02:28 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You're right about the wage in which my father made a career. Starting wage today, is $15.50 (approx) and if they continue in that same field, like that of my father, over the course of 15 - 20 years they could make $22.50 an hour.

Gas prices (cost of living) in 15 years, care to guess a mate?

We live under a debt based economic system. Until the system changes it will be as said in the Bible ... a loaf of bread priced at a man's day wage. The Bible goes on to say, do not touch the wine. Some one years back in religion forum told me, meaning ... the rich will be uneffected. It made since to me.
Gas price in 1980 was $1.19 give or take. So using your $9 the price ratios are relatively the same. What does this have to do with this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
"The payments on a fixed-rate mortgage do not change over time." want the source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they do. Try not paying the increased real estate tax and/or insurance escrow on a mortgage and see what happens.
You're calculating estate tax and insurance on top of fixed mortgage payment. Like my DSL bill. DSL cost $30.00 a month, then they throw in the taxes and it becomes $45.00 a month, but the price of the DSL is still the same, $30.00 a month.

The building that houses apartment units, is its escrow an asset to the owners?

Old 04-30-2018, 02:32 PM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
You're calculating estate tax and insurance on top of fixed mortgage payment.
Correct, because they're part of the mortgage contract, and they almost always increase the mortgage payment.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Gas price in 1980 was $1.19 give or take. So using your $9 the price ratios are relatively the same. What does this have to do with this topic?
$9.00 an hour today's wage and gas price 2.50, don't even pay to drive to work.
Cost of living expenses increase where as rent control apartments help with that.

If you are tying to wear me out by acting like you don't get it, well your in luck ... I'm done.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct, because they're part of the mortgage contract, and they almost always increase the mortgage payment.
Then it doesn't make sense to negotiate a fixed mortgage payment contract.

Poke me with a fork, I think I'm done.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
$9.00 an hour today's wage and gas price 2.50, don't even pay to drive to work.
Cost of living expenses increase where as rent control apartments help with that.

If you are tying to wear me out by acting like you don't get it, well your in luck ... I'm done.
No I am pointing out, like other here, that the law is a bad one. You are of the opinion that government should pick winners and losers by basically asking property owners to subsidize the poor (or the ones who can afford it otherwise) in an egregious manner.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No I am pointing out, like other here, that the law is a bad one. You are of the opinion that government should pick winners and losers by basically asking property owners to subsidize the poor (or the rich in some cases I guess) in an egregious manner.
If I could pick you up and put you back in time to 1933 I would. People paid their taxes then and they didn't so much has have employment insurance to use out of their tax dollars ... the government sucked up their money; they got nothing but a big depression.

In this thread it was mentioned how long ago the rent control law was enacted. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why it happened.

There is a double standard being expressed in that the landlords should be able to increase the rent so as to increase their profits, rather than the landlords learn to live within the means of the deal they made.

Its like I said, this is why the little guy will never get a leg up in this world.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Then it doesn't make sense to negotiate a fixed mortgage payment contract.
There is no such thing, unless one's mortgage specifically excludes real estate tax and insurance escrows, which is hard to do unless you're paying a substantial amount of the home's/property's price in cash and only taking out a small loan. The reason is obvious... if the borrower doesn't pay for insurance and/or real estate taxes on the collateral, the lender suffers a loss when the collateral is devalued/destroyed by an insurable event or seized by the government for nonpayment of taxes. Have you never had a mortgage? Pretty much everyone with a mortgage knows this.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:

There is a double standard being expressed in that the landlords should be able to increase the rent so as to increase their profits, rather than the landlords learn to live within the means of the deal they made.

Its like I said, this is why the little guy will never get a leg up in this world.

One of the problems that I'm thinking, is, however, do the landlord's expenses likewise stay rent-controlled? Are all the utilities, taxes, insurance, etc, all 'frozen' at the same prices they were at when the rent was first frozen?

I'm far from a real estate expert, nor do I know much about the rent control situation in NYC (or anywhere else, for that matter), but it does seem to me that over the years, the landlord's costs will have gone up. The original tenant was grandfathered, but this new tenant snuck in (and I still don't get how she's allowed to do that). I don't know what the COL is in NYC, but even I can guess that $100 a month for rent is awfully cheap for that city--my apartment in Tulsa, Oklahoma over 20 years ago was more than that!

I can't weigh in to the overall question of rent control, but it seems to me the main argument of this particular case is: Should *this* woman have gotten this apartment at that price? And right now, I'd have to say no. (Whether she should have been permitted a rent-controlled apartment at a higher/different price is a separate question, to my mind.)

Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
A letter written by her next-door neighbor and sent to all local newspapers but ignored by them.

“ I live next to a diabolical genius with unbelievable political connections… A woman who can get anything, and I mean anything done. She has taken over our building, a building she does not own, but in the eyes of the city and Mayor Bloomberg, she is our overlord and not want to be messed.

She collects every government benefit you can imagine. She practices yoga every day and runs a school she calls the yoga tea room, yet has a handicap Placher it allows her to park anywhere, anytime. She professes on manta to earn upwards of $100k a year, yet collect government disability and medical benefits. She has zero Physical disability. She has received dozens and dozens of insurance company payouts for everything you can imagine. Her car is stolen around every two years or so and is usually found many months later abandoned… physical disability. She has received dozens and dozens of insurance company payouts for everything you can imagine. Her car is stolen around every two years or so and is usually found many months later abandoned…after she receives her check from the insurance company.

She lives in a railroad with three rooms and kitchen and bath. She has not paid the landlord rent in three years. He is unable to affect her due to her political connections. She is around 60 years old, yet managed to get the rent control tenant who used to live there to adopt her two weeks before he died. He could not recognize his real family members and was basically a vegetable at the time of the signing of the documents. The courts approved it, nevertheless, she claimed succession rights to get the apartment. Again, since taking ownership, she has not paid rent in three years. She has partition the three rooms and rent each one out for anywhere from $100-$150 per week. She rents to ex-convicts, borderline homeless people, transients, illegal, basically anyone who has the cash to pay her. After she collect their money (always cash), she kicks them out before their time is up. In the last year, she has kicked out at least a half a dozen people in the middle of the night. The people are often afraid of the police for one reason or another and so usually leave without making a fuss. One woman, who was illegal, cried when her stuff was thrown on the sidewalk around midnight one night.

She recently rented to a guy named Monty. She tried to kick him out before his time was up and he flatly refused to leave. The police have been at our home around 20 times since mid December. One morning at 6 AM, she started screaming so tenants would think he was killing her. We were terrified and really thought she was being stabbed to death. When the police came, the guy showed them phone footage of him standing there recording her while she was screaming. She recently rented to a guy named Monty. She tried to kick him out before his time was up and he flatly refused to leave. The police have been at our home around 20 times since mid December. One morning at 6 AM, she started screaming so tenants would think he was killing her. We were terrified and really thought she was being stabbed to death. When the police came, the guy showed them phone footage of him standing there recording her while she was screaming. She claimed he beat her up. There was not a scratch or pump one mark on her. This has happened at least 10 times since then. Monty thought the good fight. She took him to housing court and forged document saying she was the landlord and was affecting him for nonpayment. The case was stayed until March. Yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg ordered the police to remove him from the premises. You thought only a housing court judge could evict, right? Wrong.

She has tried to change the main locks on the building to keep the tenants from coming in she leaves her garbage in the hallways and suites all of the dirt from her apartment into there too. She yells at tenants when they leave their apartments why does she get away with all this you ask? Her brother is the mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah. Her father was the ambassador to Honduras under a former president. Everyone in her family is politically connected, and they will do anything to keep her in that apartment. I could go on for days, but I would much prefer to talk about this.

Her various names are Pamela Becker, Pamela Feinstein, Prema Deodhar, Maria Nicola DeTomasso. The couple who own the building or elderly people in very poor health. The old lady cries almost daily over how they are being taken advantage of by this piece. The man has had several heart attacks, and this is insane woman calls him into her apartment at least once a week to fix something she has destroyed on purpose. She seems to have made it her mission to terrorize these people.

For $100/Month LIC Apartment, 62-Year-Old Lady Got Adopted By 85-Year-Old Star Trek Fan: Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies