Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Someone needs to start a new Scouts for boys only where boys are allowed to be boys. They could easily put the "Boy" Scouts out of business with their gender neutral nonsense.
I think I saw that on a TV show once. The He Man Woman Haters Club.

If you are raising a boy that needs a male only safe space you are doing it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:37 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Personally, I find one of the more important things that male role models can teach the young'uns is decent and respectful behavior around females, and that's pretty hard in a one-gender setting.
That's not the job of the Scouts, never was, and never will be. That's the job of the parent. Scouts was never about sexuality, which is the point of having a single gender organization.

One issue is that one random low paid middle aged scoutmaster's vision of respect may not be what the parent's wish to teach.

Most adults have pretty poor optics in regard to what actually occurs in the social groups of young people, and how the dynamics are affected. Your vision of what "works" may have actually entailed a strong dynamic change between a single sex troop and what you had. We keep it single sex to reduce complications stemming from co-ed social dynamics. Young boys need a refuge to develop apart from the social environment that they are forced to endure in school. Which, by the way, seems like a natural place to teach your "respect" that you think requires a co-ed environment. Eight hours per day, 280 days per year seems sufficient, no?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post

If you are raising a boy that needs a male only safe space you are doing it wrong.
No you aren't, says the historical bulk of Western tradition in education and leadership development.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:

It's really just a matter of making the space for it - the kids will do their own thing when allowed to.

On several different occasions I had boys asking if it was OK for them to dig a hole. To my shame, suspicious instincts kicked in: Why? Who was intended to fall in said hole? What is the angle? - but they just wanted to excavate a really deep hole. Fair enough, as long as it's out of the way, and they'd run off and spend some glorious hours digging, improvising lift mechanisms to get the excavated earth out and in general get as dirty as possible. Never had any girls asking to do that.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Someone needs to start a new Scouts for boys only where boys are allowed to be boys. They could easily put the "Boy" Scouts out of business with their gender neutral nonsense.
Won't happen, not at least in today's PC and "inclusive" society. Any such effort would find itself dragged through the courts and or shammed in public until it gave in; just like the Boy Scouts.

Pick a battle; Boy Scouts, Saint Patrick's Day parades, etc.... All private organizations that won court rulings in past which allowed them associate/allow members as they saw fit. That is all largely gone now; Boys Scouts admit girls and trans; Saint Patrick's day parades have LGBT, and it all came about through relentless pressure from politicians, media and many businesses including some very large names.

This being said many conservative religions sponsor scouting troops (Catholics, Mormons, etc...) so it remains to be seen what those individual chapters will do if scouting continues going down this path.

Beyond cookies: Thousands of girls are becoming Cub Scouts - New Jersey Herald -

Local girls among nation's first to join Boy Scouts - New Jersey Herald -

It is rather ironic however that Girl Scouts is still a "female" and or at least those that identify as such.

In short more of the same ole, same ole. Females want access to male spaces and privileges; but at same time still wish to retain all special rights, prerogatives and so forth of being that sex.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
That's not the job of the Scouts, never was, and never will be. That's the job of the parent. Scouts was never about sexuality, which is the point of having a single gender organization.
I'll stop right there and point out that the immediate jump to "sexuality" when considering a mixed-gender setting is part of the problem.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
It's really just a matter of making the space for it - the kids will do their own thing when allowed to.

On several different occasions I had boys asking if it was OK for them to dig a hole. To my shame, suspicious instincts kicked in: Why? Who was intended to fall in said hole? What is the angle? - but they just wanted to excavate a really deep hole. Fair enough, as long as it's out of the way, and they'd run off and spend some glorious hours digging, improvising lift mechanisms to get the excavated earth out and in general get as dirty as possible. Never had any girls asking to do that.
Because girls are not idiots.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
At least not in that specific manner.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:

Quote:
I dug a huge hole in my yard a kid. My daughters dug holes in our yard. I don't consider myself or my daughters idiots.

They also play hockey with the boys. I'm not going to apologize for them "infringing" on the boys' space.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Won't happen, not at least in today's PC and "inclusive" society. Any such effort would find itself dragged through the courts and or shammed in public until it gave in; just like the Boy Scouts.

Pick a battle; Boy Scouts, Saint Patrick's Day parades, etc.... All private organizations that won court rulings in past which allowed them associate/allow members as they saw fit. That is all largely gone now; Boys Scouts admit girls and trans; Saint Patrick's day parades have LGBT, and it all came about through relentless pressure from politicians, media and many businesses including some very large names.

This being said many conservative religions sponsor scouting troops (Catholics, Mormons, etc...) so it remains to be seen what those individual chapters will do if scouting continues going down this path.

Beyond cookies: Thousands of girls are becoming Cub Scouts - New Jersey Herald -

Local girls among nation's first to join Boy Scouts - New Jersey Herald -

It is rather ironic however that Girl Scouts is still a "female" and or at least those that identify as such.

In short more of the same ole, same ole. Females want access to male spaces and privileges; but at same time still wish to retain all special rights, prerogatives and so forth of being that sex.
Because no one want to join the girl scouts. If anything this move is forcing the girls scouts to finally make some changes to their program if they don't want to see their enrollment to continue to drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies