Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 06:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Out of curiosity why did you put asterisks around "her" when referring to Michelle Obama? You were making a good case for not keeping the tit-for-tat going towards Melania before you did that. She may not be model perfect but to suggest that she's a he is still the kind of dirty dig you're complaining about regarding Melania.
Good golly, where did you get that from?

I read the same post and thought the poster was simply emphasizing the word "her" as in "her husband", as in Michelle's husband.

Go have a glass of wine or something. Dang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
People are not attacking her for her accent. They are pointing out the hypocrisy of the people who attack other immigrants for having an accent or not speaking English well excusing the exact same thing in Melania Trump just because she's white and married to Donald Trump.

I don't see it that way at all.

People who are attacking her lack of English skills are the very same ones that say immigrants don't need to learn English and that everything should be in English and Spanish. It is those people who are the hypocrites.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Out of curiosity why did you put asterisks around "her" when referring to Michelle Obama? You were making a good case for not keeping the tit-for-tat going towards Melania before you did that. She may not be model perfect but to suggest that she's a he is still the kind of dirty dig you're complaining about regarding Melania.
Wow. That was not my intention at all. I sometimes use asterisks for emphasis, either that or bold type. I tend to avoid italics, because the emphasis is lost when a post is quoted.

If you doubt me, I invite you to browse my post history. For one thing, I have never said anything of the sort about Mrs. Obama, and for another, I would never, ever use that as a means of disparaging someone. I have transgendered friends, and to make such a claim as an insult would be unkind not only to her, but to them.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Good golly, where did you get that from?

I read the same post and thought the poster was simply emphasizing the word "her" as in "her husband", as in Michelle's husband.

Go have a glass of wine or something. Dang.
I have already repped you, but I wanted to thank you publicly, as well.

It was, as I just explained in another post, simply for emphasis.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have already repped you, but I wanted to thank you publicly, as well.

It was, as I just explained in another post, simply for emphasis.
You are most welcome.

This entire thread has been quite ugly, but that was quite the accusation.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are most welcome.

This entire thread has been quite ugly, but that was quite the accusation.
I was about as stunned by that as I have been by anything here. I consider the Obamas to be kind of a model family, and to get hit with that...

If I had put the word her in quote marks, I could understand it, as that sort of implies sarcasm or disbelief, when it's not an actual quote, but asterisks?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Look at this, those who are all about tolerance and open borders to welcome others waste no time slamming someone for a perceived lack of command of the language.

https://twitter.com/ScreenCaffeen/st...70327727816704
There are no articles in the Slavic languages.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are no articles in the Slavic languages.
Well, is she tweeting and speaking to the World , US ? Who is her audience? Can we get one solid role model in the highest office in the land ? Geez, Hubby can't spell......arg! !! Yes, these folks will never match previous Admin s in a grammar bee.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
I suspect Melania cribs from the Obamas just to troll her husband.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think all the photos of Melania, happily smiling while with Obama say pretty much all they need to say.

REDZINGER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies