Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

My question is, can the guy read and will he have any skills other than making a complete idiot out of himself in public?

Who is going to hire him? No anyone who has to make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Sounds like they were realizing how much time it was taking towards the end and had gotten fed up.

I wonder why more black people were graduating towards the end.

It said that the earlier students were allowed to dance, white and black students, but towards the end when more black people were called they were being pulled off the stage. Can someone explain that? I’m genuinely curious.
Read Mathguy's Cliff Notes in the posts above yours for the explanation to that. It's nothing nefarious or racist.

As for why more black people were graduating towards the end....they weren't. Everyone graduated at that ceremony. But they were called up to get their diplomas by 1) School (i.e. Graduate then Undergraduate) and 2) alphabetically (by school). If only undergrads were part of the ceremony, it was strictly alphabetical.

What did you think the reason was? That black students were told to get to the back of the line???

Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 PM

50,301 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Honors students usually go first, not sure if the case here.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Honors students usually go first, not sure if the case here.

Okay, there you go. It's been a while since mine graduated. So it would be alphabetical within honors and then those who didn't graduate with honors.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
This guy comes second. The first place goes to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_y6TzkdIg

Old 05-13-2018, 11:41 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Read Mathguy's Cliff Notes in the posts above yours for the explanation to that. It's nothing nefarious or racist.

As for why more black people were graduating towards the end....they weren't. Everyone graduated at that ceremony. But they were called up to get their diplomas by 1) School (i.e. Graduate then Undergraduate) and 2) alphabetically (by school). If only undergrads were part of the ceremony, it was strictly alphabetical.

What did you think the reason was? That black students were told to get to the back of the line???
Nope. I figured it was something like that, but it was going to be certain degrees were more popular than others for the black students. I was actually wondering what those degrees tend to be.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My question is, can the guy read and will he have any skills other than making a complete idiot out of himself in public?

Who is going to hire him? No anyone who has to make a profit.
Why would you think someone who graduated college can't read.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Nope. I figured it was something like that, but it was going to be certain degrees were more popular than others for the black students. I was actually wondering what those degrees tend to be.
On this - Health and Medical Administration and Business are top majors for black Americans today.

At my HBCU the largest cohort were the Business majors as well.

When I think about it a majority of the black people I know have a business degree either undergraduate or graduate and Health and Medical Administration or Public Policy (with a health focus) is very popular along with HR administration.

I recently attended a couple graduations and they didn't have the honors students go first - they went by school and then alphabetical order and would note that the graduate graduated with honors to what degree when they walked across the stage. One of the graduations, no one walked across the stage because it was a large graduation - many schools do not have everyone walk today at all.

On surnames the most common surnames for black people are Johnson, Washington, and Williams, so if they were at the end of the announcements it makes sense you'd see a lot of Washingtons and Williams. Also a lot of "T" surnames. When I graduated from high school - and I went to a very diverse school - a majority of us black students were in the rear because our surnames started with S-Z.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:02 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why would you think someone who graduated college can't read.....

On this - Health and Medical Administration and Business are top majors for black Americans today.

At my HBCU the largest cohort were the Business majors as well.

When I think about it a majority of the black people I know have a business degree either undergraduate or graduate and Health and Medical Administration or Public Policy (with a health focus) is very popular along with HR administration.

I recently attended a couple graduations and they didn't have the honors students go first - they went by school and then alphabetical order and would note that the graduate graduated with honors to what degree when they walked across the stage. One of the graduations, no one walked across the stage because it was a large graduation - many schools do not have everyone walk today at all.

On surnames the most common surnames for black people are Johnson, Washington, and Williams, so if they were at the end of the announcements it makes sense you'd see a lot of Washingtons and Williams. Also a lot of "T" surnames. When I graduated from high school - and I went to a very diverse school - a majority of us black students were in the rear because our surnames started with S-Z.
Thank you for answering so clearly. You covered all the bases too.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
next year just toss out diploma's to the audience when a name is called. plenty of excitement there.

How dumb to have rules for a graduation ceremony! elitist and racist

No more ceremonies, just mail the diplomas...if just one assault could be prevented......

or make everyone do a dance in order to receive their diploma which would be tied to a rock and tossed into the deep end of a pool. plenty of fun and excitement there.

no more valedictorians!

student so honored must break into a song and dance or be yanked off stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies