Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A shopkeeper might be a person you only see once or be your regular at that store. What teacher does your student see only once besides a substitute? They have a much closer relationship than you do with a shopkeeper. A few students actually talked to me a round the time of my latest break up and honestly I knew them through three school years and even attended the funeral service for one of their parent's. Unless you have a deep connection with a shopkeeper as a friend, not anything like a teacher-student, that wouldn't happen.

Edit: also why must we bring up the whole "Gay lifestyle being shoved into my face" argument. Nobody complaining about the heterosexual couples being a couple. I think your issue is you are homophobic because you don't want homosexuals to do what heterosexuals do in public. Talk to me a gain when you complain about the heterosexual couples slide causing a teacher to be fired.
I don't remember talking to you in the first place. I care less what judgments you make of me due to my opinion being different than yours. For me its not a personal issue but one I'm going to argue till the cows come home because I want too. You are part of the herd. I didn't cut you out. You cut in, if anything.

If the "Gay lifestyle being shoved into my face" argument was off the table then the OP shouldn't have brought it up in the original post, point #3.

I have a problem with what some heterosexuals do in public but that isn't the topic. ( off topic note )At one time women would pull up their low skirts and blow their nose on it, when outside and on the street. No one thought anything of it. It was acceptable. I suppose it was better than having snot run down their face.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Lesbian, and Gays only represent a few percentages of society. 1% - 3%. I doubt kids encounter LGBT much if at all, especially at school. The Media wants you, and kids to think they are in far greater numbers, and mainstream. Also, when I did have kids in the house, we kept our sex lives to ourselves, and until later ages, they thought Mommy, and Daddy actually just slept together. Also, we were parents, not some almost stranger at school. That's a terrible analogy.
My school had several gay teachers. I have gay friends that are teachers and administrators. I hesitate to use the term " people like you ", but, people like you don't see gay people because you have a prejudicial view of what a gay person looks and acts like.

The number of gay, bi or whatever people really doesn't matter. What matters is that all people are accorded the same rights, regardless of peoples personal opinions.

You are confusing someone's sex life with someone letting people know their orientation. Which as you MUST know is a huge part of a person's identity.

You are also a hypocrite. You make it abundantly clear that you are straight, but I'm sure would balk if I dare suggest you keep that quiet by hiding photos of you and your wife or girlfriend when kids come over, pretend to sleep in different rooms, and show absolutely no affection in front of them etc. God forbid if you were a teacher, you hiding your straightness would have the opposite effect...people would think you're gay. LOL

I'm also quite sure that many, many teachers that are straight, share a bit of their lives with the kids. Kids ask questions.." are you married? " do you have a boyfriend?" and on and on. However there is no one telling these teachers to just teach. ( From some of the teaching comments here, I can tell some have no clue about teaching )

Honesty is best.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I don't remember talking to you in the first place. I care less what judgments you make of me due to my opinion being different than yours. For me its not a personal issue but one I'm going to argue till the cows come home because I want too. You are part of the herd. I didn't cut you out. You cut in, if anything.

If the "Gay lifestyle being shoved into my face" argument was off the table then the OP shouldn't have brought it up in the original post, point #3.

I have a problem with what some heterosexuals do in public but that isn't the topic. ( off topic note )At one time women would pull up their low skirts and blow their nose on it, when outside and on the street. No one thought anything of it. It was acceptable. I suppose it was better than having snot run down their face.
And here is the thing, what you are complaining about is what heterosexuals get for granted. Unless you are opposed to PDAs in general, what is the.difference if it is same sex or opposite sex? Unless you don't see a reason for teachers to share some casual aspects of their personal lives, why would it matter if they are heterosexual or homosexual or any other sexuality on the spectrum? That's the issue I see here. A lot of what you are complaining about is fine so long as they aren't homosexual, hence being homophobic.

Also, when you post stuff on a public forum, anyone can reply whether they were directly replied to or not.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:34 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I read the article in the link plus three other articles.
Did you try to find a less biased news source?

I don’t know the truth but usually there is more than one side to these stories.

“A Mansfield ISD elementary school art teacher was suspended after the district received complaints from parents about her discussing her sexual orientation with elementary-aged students, district officials said Tuesday afternoon.”

The statement later says that MISD administrators met with Bailey more than once after receiving complaints from parents but that “Ms. Bailey refused to follow administration’s directions regarding age-appropriate conversation with students.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mans...usive-language

Old 05-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And here is the thing, what you are complaining about is what heterosexuals get for granted. Unless you are opposed to PDAs in general, what is the.difference if it is same sex or opposite sex? Unless you don't see a reason for teachers to share some casual aspects of their personal lives, why would it matter if they are heterosexual or homosexual or any other sexuality on the spectrum? That's the issue I see here. A lot of what you are complaining about is fine so long as they aren't homosexual, hence being homophobic.

Also, when you post stuff on a public forum, anyone can reply whether they were directly replied to or not.
It wasn't anyone claiming I was talking to them. It was you. We all know about a public forum and how it works.

I believe I've made it clear. Teachers shouldn't bring their personal life into the classroom.

You see the issue in terms of heterosexual or homosexual. I don't. Plain and simple difference.

It has to do with standards and the standards of education have been dropping as other countries have been out preforming the USA. To say we need more introduction to personal issues having nothing to do with subjects expected to be taught is ridicules. I support higher standards and less BS distractions.
Anyone that doesn't agree with people who want to push gay, gender, race issues is charged with being phobic, racist etc...........its not new. It the same old crap, the same old people, do day in and day out. The weak minded victim mentality the teacher is showing in the OP's example. Will the kids look up to her now ? Will they learn victimology ? How to be butt hurt and get paid for it. I wonder how many send their kids to school to learn that.
If a school board decides it wants to teach sex education, that's fine. If the community and the school board are in agreement and they decide the appropriate grade and how best to do it, fine too.

Last edited by phma; 05-16-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It wasn't anyone claiming I was talking to them. It was you. We all know about a public forum and how it works.

I believe I've made it clear. Teachers shouldn't bring their personal life into the classroom.

You see the issue in terms of heterosexual or homosexual. I don't. Plain and simple difference.

It has to do with standards and the standards of education have been dropping as other countries have been out preforming the USA. To say we need more introduction to personal issues having nothing to do with subjects expected to be taught is ridicules. I support higher standards and less BS distractions.
Anyone that doesn't agree with people who want to push gay, gender, race issues is charged with being phobic, racist etc...........its not new. It the same old crap, the same old people, do day in and day out. The weak minded victim mentality the teacher is showing in the OP's example. Will the kids look up to her now ? Will they learn victimology ? How to be butt hurt and get paid for it. I wonder how many send their kids to school to learn that.
If a school board decides it wants to teach sex education, that's fine. If the community and the school board are in agreement and they decide the appropriate grade and how best to do it, fine too.
Many countries that support gay teachers, and don't freak out when a teacher tells students they are gay excel.

Trying to connect teachers being open about who they are, to academic excellence is silly. Schools do better outside of the US for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-16-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Some years back teachers came from the top 10% of their class. Now it is the bottom 10%.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Now that we've reached post #349 I'd like to again interject that I think teachers have become too chummy or friendly with students and part of that is sharing their personal lives. I think it lessens the respect or the "mystery" if you will that the students should have for the teachers.
Even as recent as the early 2000's my son knew little to nothing of his teachers lives outside of the classroom.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Now that we've reached post #349 I'd like to again interject that I think teachers have become too chummy or friendly with students and part of that is sharing their personal lives. I think it lessens the respect or the "mystery" if you will that the students should have for the teachers.
Even as recent as the early 2000's my son knew little to nothing of his teachers lives outside of the classroom.
I did but I was also in high school and that is different but honestly the teachers you get "too chummy with" IMHO, were my best and favorite teachers in school. I learned a lot from Mr. P, Mr. D, Mr. H and Mrs. H. Mrs. H is actually retiring at the end of the school year this year... I as an educator have gotten "chummy" with students but that is what I know from the great teachers I had. The thing is, the best teachers know when to be teacher versus friend and it could switch real fast. The worst I found would over-compensate like my French teacher that I had until high school.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Many countries that support gay teachers, and don't freak out when a teacher tells students they are gay excel.

Trying to connect teachers being open about who they are, to academic excellence is silly. Schools do better outside of the US for a myriad of reasons.
They are connecting alright. More frequently and for the wrong reasons or is this the academic excellence you talk about. The boundry between student and teacher gets lost.

Conners is the third teacher in the Tri-State to be either indicted or convicted in the past six months, and the third female educator. Stacy Shuler, a Mason High School teacher, was convicted of 16 counts of having sex with several teenage male students last fall.

Psychologist explains pattern of student-teacher sexual relation - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

More teachers are having sex with their students.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...can-stop-them/

A 14-year-old student in Florida wrote his cellphone number on a classroom chalkboard because he wanted a classmate he liked to call him. The student indeed was contacted – not by the girl but allegedly by his 32-year-old teacher.

In Pennsylvania, a 33-year-old teacher approached a 17-year-old student at a school dance and began flirting with him

Unfortunately, these kinds of stories are becoming more common across the country. In 2014 alone, there were 781 reported cases of teachers and other school employees accused or convicted of sexual relationships with students.

Last edited by phma; 05-16-2018 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies