Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL

I'd love to see you in a conversation with Americans who hated your ancestors when they came here back in the 1800s.
They would have had no leg to stand on so to speak, there were no immigration quotas back then. I would have simply removed my bowler hat and hit them over the head with my shillelagh (cudgel).

Quote:
Very romanticized and infantile view you have of history my friend.
We can't keep absorbing the world's poor no matter how wonderful and magnanimous it makes you feel. If you don't like our immigration system with it's quotas and such, then work to change it.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
My ancestors came here legally. I know that confuses you as you value your anger and other emotions more than the law.
Nah. I'm not confused.

I know facts about your ancestors and the history of this country are not real high priorities for some.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So what's your point? We should be ok with illegal immigration because it was easier to come here legally long ago? Do you not understand why that was?
My point is don't deify yesterday's immigrants.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:13 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Nah. I'm not confused.

I know facts about your ancestors and the history of this country are not real high priorities for some.
Confused, angry, and foaming at the mouth.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think Tomi is a dolt, and have no idea why anyone gives her a venue to talk, but, what does her opinion have to do with what her ancestors did? Can I criticize slavery yet have slave owning ancestors (for the record, they did not, came to the US after slavery ended)? Do them owning slaves have any bearing on my opinion about slavery?

My other thought is; how does this person know about Tomi's ancestors? Hell, I hardly even know about mine, I could not imagine someone else magically finding something so detailed like what languages they did or did not speak.

Of course though European immigrants (specifically those from the UK, Ireland, Germanic, and northern Europeans) were much more assimilated than any other immigrant group, the US derived from such groups and/or are offshoots of such groups. The US is not a large deviation from those societies back then. It is an apples and oranges comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The geneologist is lying.

The census shows nationality, it doesn't know what language they spoke in their life.

Not that you don't have a point though.

Yes, the census does include literacy-related questions, a practice that began in 1840. In 1890, the question became very specific: "Can the person speak English? If not, what language does he speak?" In every census from that point on, the census asked a similarly-worded question. That's how Mendelsohn knows about Lahren's and Kelly's ancestors.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The geneologist is lying.

The census shows nationality, it doesn't know what language they spoke in their life.

Not that you don't have a point though.
The census has not been static; questions have changed over the years and did indeed sometimes ask about other languages.

https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...istorical.html

Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
The census has not been static; questions have changed over the years and did indeed sometimes ask about other languages.

https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...istorical.html
It's very clear to me that some of these posters have never actually viewed a census form, or if they have, they certainly didn't look very carefully. I'm always amazed at what I learn about my ancestors via their census entries.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
desertdetroiter is absolutely correct.

This country was founded for the losers and dregs of society. Your ancestors left their countries precisely because they weren't the ones in power. They weren't the winners. Neither were mine. Even the ancestors of the winners of this country (Vanderbilt, Carnegie, etc) weren't the winners in their home countries. Very few were.
There's a book in my to-read stack called White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, and what you've written above is pretty much its entire premise.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's very clear to me that some of these posters have never actually viewed a census form, or if they have, they certainly didn't look very carefully. I'm always amazed at what I learn about my ancestors via their census entries.
Yes, there is a wealth of information found in the US and state censuses throughout history. Depending on the year, there were questions like whether a person was deaf, blind or dumb, what industry they worked in, value of their real estate, how they got to work last week, whether they fought in the Civil War and more.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Nah. I'm not confused.

We should be allowed to own slaves!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies