Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

They strap'em to a chair and pry their eyes open Clockwork Orange style and make them watch hours and hours worth of inter-racial cuckold videos. "You don't get to leave until your heart rate goes down and you are breathing properly".

Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I love it when conservatives pound their chest about the virtues of freedom, blah, blah, blah, but can't just f-ing ignore stuff other people are doing. When a group of people that the OP will never encounter, engage in a city that the OP will never step foot in, to achieve a goal that OP could not care less about, it's still fodder for a derisive post.

#toomuchtimeonyourhands
Oh ok so that’s the liberal philosophy? Just ignore everything ? That’s not the vibe I get . Then why don’t you guys just ignore it when a conservative speaker wants to speak on a college campus ? Instead you guys throw a hissyfit or get violent .

So on the topic . Do you really think these workshops are going to achieve their goal ?

Freaking breathing exercises ? Lol

Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Why do you think this is ridiculous, OP?

It sounds like a step in the right direction toward many of us understanding each other. How is this a bad thing?
It's not aimed at many but rather a specific gender and racial group.

If anyone is confused by the point I'm trying to make, imagine having a driving class by Asian women for Asian women.

Seems to me the class is starting out with targeted stereotyping.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
I love it when conservatives pound their chest about the virtues of freedom, blah, blah, blah, but can't just f-ing ignore stuff other people are doing. When a group of people that the OP will never encounter, engage in a city that the OP will never step foot in, to achieve a goal that OP could not care less about, it's still fodder for a derisive post.

#toomuchtimeonyourhands
freedom is not a license to ignore idiocy. maybe you should relocate to your safe space?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
And these are the issues that animate American voters in the 21st century (Le sigh)...

There’s only one obvious choice here. We must all vote Republican and endure more trillion dollar tax cuts that primarily benefit the wealthy in exchange for putting an end to things like this.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:41 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
there's probably a 10% discount if you have a man-bun.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not aimed at many but rather a specific gender and racial group.

If anyone is confused by the point I'm trying to make, imagine having a driving class by Asian women for Asian women.

Seems to me the class is starting out with targeted stereotyping.
I’ve always found it interesting that some people (not sure if that “some” would include you) get irritated by this sort of thing whereas my response has always been one more of amusement. It would be like my job having sexual harassment training for men. While I don’t consider myself a sexist pig, I could see why that type of training would make sense on some level given the history of our republic, and I wouldn’t have any grievances over it. But I suspect that the people who get worked up over this kind of thing are the same people who get worked up over women getting into clubs for free (“Reverse Sexism! MGTOW!”).

Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that for people who are actually racist and actually want to change, this is a good thing. However, most of the people who need this sort of thing wouldn't be interested, so it may turn into a bunch of guys congratulating themselves on how-not racist they are or using their attendance to virtue signal being "woke" to gain social ground in an area where SJW's have pull.
I see a way around the self-congratulating thing. Have the group focus on how clueless even sincerely open people can still be - namely by explaining how and why certain commonly accepted acts and expressions still prejudice or otherwise stack the deck against minorities, and out-groups in general.

Going deeper, attack on two fronts:

*They are so "weak", "sensitive", "stupid", "socially unskilled", "unmanly"/"unfeminine", "passive", etc.
MANY negative stereotypes against "others" come from attributing those traits to "others".

For those still not dissuaded from the above, then attack the distaste behind those traits themselves.

*A lot of our core standards themselves we use to size up a person's worth are either inconsistently applied or just plain bogus.

Being weak, sensitive, stupid, thin-skinned, unmanly, etc. is not deliberately setting out to hurt, harm, or degrade others dignity with that specific end-goal in mind, and therefore falls outside the proper role of disrespect and scorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k
There are, and have been, lots of outreach programs for people who want to unlearn racist beliefs and behavior; I knew a former neo Nazi who met and fell for a black girl in the punk/metal scene while he was still a Nazi; he left the movement, married, and they have a family. He has done outreach and mentoring to young guys in the Bos/NYC areas who fall into that trap. This is definitely a more Silicon Valley spin on things and the sort of racism you get from a tech-bro and a working class metal kids are quite different.
Good for him. Getting beyond the think-alike hive mind of their group, culture, etc. can definitely make you doubt the rightness of the beliefs of that hive mind. It happened to me when I went to college in the big city (not close to a coastal one, but Memphis, TN!!), specifically outgrowing not only non-hard-core homophobia, but distaste of "art major" types and free-thinking bohemians in general. It also destroyed my faith in mainstream standards of "abnormal behavior" and "disrespect-worthy person" in general - so this went WAY beyond losing my homophobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's a meet-up for sensitive guys... in San Francisco... not hard to imagine what it might turn into.
Disdaining sensitive guys (and likely weakness in general) is just Pavlovian kneejerk distaste and nothing more, likely spring from your reptilian brainstem's hijacking of your higher functioning rational thought process. That or else you uncritically accepted popular culture's ideas of what a disrespect-worthy person is. So unless you can explain why, exactly, sensitivity should be scorned as harshly as petty thieves, then your bigotry against sensitive guys (and weak guys in general) is just that - bigotry. And that's before getting to the homophobic part (i.e. "not hard to imagine...")

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
From their website ..

You can’t make this stuff up .

“SOMATIC TRAINING -- THROUGH MEDITATION AND BREATHING EXERCISES WE BUILD SKILLS IN MANAGING RACE- AND GENDER-BASED STRESS. THIS IS ESSENTIAL TO MORE SUCCESSFUL INTERACTIONS”

https://steppingup.work/#what-happens
Care to tell me what's so disgraceful about this? Granted, "somatic training" alone isn't going to accomplish anything, but it does clear the mind of stress that can inhibit the thought process. At the very least, I don't see it as a bad thing.

Quote:

#toomuchtimeonyourhands
They just have a narrow definition of freedom and hypocritical expectations of how to deal with people. They just don't want the government telling people (especially they themselves) what to do. Yet they want the right to socially oppress anyone who goes against their ideas of "respect-worthy person" or even "normal behavior" - apparently failing to see that "we the people" can be just as tyrannical as any dictatorship, even if we have free and fair elections for our leaders. If it's wrong for the government to disdain the different, then what gives "we the people" the right to do so? By the same token, if it's right for "we the people" to disdain and socially punish "people like *THAT*!", then why forbid the government from doing so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies