Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
White American conservatives see an erosion of what they consider the real America. Things like gay or trans rights or even rights for racial minorities rub them the wrong way. Thats why you see so many of them talking about the golden age of the 1950s when white american men had unquestioned authority and privilege. They view wrongly that extending rights to others hurts them.
White American conservatives are not wrong that equal rights for everyone means they no longer enjoy the perks of being a straight, white male.

In the 1950's, a white man could beat the hell out of his wife and kids, force his secretary to have sex with him, cheat his employees, ... and there wasn't a damn thing anybody could do about it.

If you were a white man in the 50's, you didn't have to worry about a woman getting "your spot" in med school. You could be pretty certain that any promotion was going to go to a white man.

White men could lord it over women, anyone of color, ... They were top dog.

Why any white women would yearn for the 50's is anybody's guess. Maybe there was some privileged existence they imagined they would have held.

But that ship has sailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Most people who actually have depression and anxiety don't ask for drugs because they don't want to take drugs for depression and anxiety.

Drugs are a last resort. Do you think diabetics who need insulin are drug seekers?

Neither are depressed or anxious people who need medication to function. You do realize that people don't commit suicide on a whim, right?

Drugs are a last resort??? have you seen the 2000's....its 2018 its a drug for everything

oh your kid is a little overly active... here have him take ridlen..make him catatonic

today we talk about the autism '''epidemic'''... 50 years ago it wasn't called autism...it was called childhood schizophrenia

heck according to todays phycologists, there is a '''condition''' if you don't have access to your cellphone or facebook.... Phone Separation
http://jass.neuro.wisc.edu/2016/01/L...Group%2010.pdf

PTSD.... used to be called shell shock for us veterans of war.....
now you can have PTSD from your boyfriend DUMPING YOU...because it was sooooo traumatic....causing pain, depression, and anxiety

there are people claiming PTSD...because they got FIRED from their jobs... "oh my, I have PTSD, that bastard boss fired me, Now I cant work, I NEED DISABILITY"

get over it

Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,516,480 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard not to be a jackass to other people?

It's not Orwellian to resist using the N word to refer to a black person or to resist calling a gay person the F word, is it?

Good grief. You'd think people were really put out by just being decent, respectful human beings.
Is that what being PC means to you? Not using bad words? Because while I agree with your thought that it shouldn't be so hard to be respectful, I believe political correctness goes far, far past a demand to be nice. It's a controlling movement to stifle individuality, speech, thought, and action ... and mold it into someone else's version of "acceptable" human behavior.

I liken it to trying to force a dog to love a cat. Forget it's biological makeup, instinct, and desire ...forget the fact that cats are just as apprehensive about dogs as the other way around. No ... forget all that messy biology and history, and force it to bend to the whim of another, because it's just nicer when dogs and cats get along, and some people simply cannot be happy unless their world is one in which dogs and cats get along.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Is that what being PC means to you? Not using bad words? Because while I agree with your thought that it shouldn't be so hard to be respectful, I believe political correctness goes far, far past a demand to be nice. It's a controlling movement to stifle individuality, speech, thought, and action ... and mold it into someone else's version of acceptable human behavior.

I liken it to trying to force a dog to love a cat. Forget it's biological makeup, instinct, and desire ...forget the fact that cats are just as apprehensive about dogs as the other way around. No ... forget all that messy biology and history, and force it to bend to the whim of another, because it's just nicer when dogs and cats get along, and some people simply cannot be happy unless their world is one in which dogs and cats get along.
what the heck are you talking about?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,516,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what the heck are you talking about?
I'm sorry it went over your head. Maybe try the entertainment forum.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Drugs are a last resort??? have you seen the 2000's....its 2018 its a drug for everything

oh your kid is a little overly active... here have him take ridlen..make him catatonic

today we talk about the autism '''epidemic'''... 50 years ago it wasn't called autism...it was called childhood schizophrenia

heck according to todays phycologists, there is a '''condition''' if you don't have access to your cellphone or facebook.... Phone Separation
http://jass.neuro.wisc.edu/2016/01/L...Group%2010.pdf

PTSD.... used to be called shell shock for us veterans of war.....
now you can have PTSD from your boyfriend DUMPING YOU...because it was sooooo traumatic....causing pain, depression, and anxiety

there are people claiming PTSD...because they got FIRED from their jobs... "oh my, I have PTSD, that bastard boss fired me, Now I cant work, I NEED DISABILITY"

get over it
It's a shame you think that psychiatrists don't know what is or is not a disease.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
This is how I think people actually feel sometimes, and it is baffling to me. Why's it so hard not to say offensive things?

It's as if they don't know how to switch off the offensive language, because they are so accustomed to using it, and they fear being ostracized by polite society and offending someone they DO actually like, so they're mad that "PC" is a thing.
1. who defines what is offensive??

2. why redefine words or phrases, just to pad your ego... do we really need to rename a garbage man to a solid waste engineer...... do we really need to refer to a housewife/stay at home mom as a domestic engineer?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Is that what being PC means to you? Not using bad words? Because while I agree with your thought that it shouldn't be so hard to be respectful, I believe political correctness goes far, far past a demand to be nice. It's a controlling movement to stifle individuality, speech, thought, and action ... and mold it into someone else's version of "acceptable" human behavior.

I don't think that's what PC is. You can be courteous to pretty much anyone, even if you're not exactly crazy about them.

Nobody HAS to like another person. But, being decent to one another in public (includes online interactions) seems like a bare minimum in a respectful society. I'm not referring to disagreements between two people... if two people disagree and have an argument, that's just two people disagreeing. But, if one of those two breaks out the N word in the middle of it, that's not cool.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
It's a shame you think that psychiatrists don't know what is or is not a disease.
not too long ago psychiatrists said being gay was a neurological disease (a miss-wiring)

Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times
The do-gooders propose, and the Real World disposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies