Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Imagine you have two job offers - one in "Low Costoflivingville" and another in "High Costoflivingville." Everything in High Costoflivingville costs exactly three times as much as it does in Low Costoflivingville, but the job in High Costoflivingville will pay you twice as much. Mathematically speaking, if finances were the only factor to be considered, which job should you take?
You've just described my life, and when that decision faced my spouse and me, we made the leap to California. It was difficult at first. Our money didn't go as far as it had in the Midwest, so we lived leaner even with a nice boost in annual household income. But here's the thing: the position my spouse accepted was one that expanded his career opportunities dramatically in ways that never would have been possible had we stayed put. What started as $100k/year soon became $150k and then $200k+, which, believe it or not, he took with him when he was offered a new position in a less expensive part of the country. And $200k+ buys you a pretty nice life most everywhere in the U.S. Yeah, we had some struggles in the beginning after moving to the Bay Area, but they were worth it. Everything is life is a trade off between risk and reward, and for us the reward was big.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-18-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Here is an article from a few years back where even the liberals at the Washington Post had to admit North Dakota is the best.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.3e9fa2aab5ad

Quote:
Out of more than 40 measures spanning not only attitudes about the economy, but also public affairs, the environment and the social climate, North Dakota topped the rankings nearly 40 percent of the time and was at or above average about half the time.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Here is an article from a few years back where even the liberals at the Washington Post had to admit North Dakota is the best.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.3e9fa2aab5ad
Yea it's a great place to live if you dont mind the cold. Iowa is up there with them as well.
https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...-states-report

Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You've just described my life, and when that decision faced my spouse and me, we made the leap to California. It was difficult at first. Our money didn't go as far as it had in the Midwest, so we lived leaner even with a nice boost in annual household income. But here's the thing: the position my spouse accepted was one that expanded his career opportunities dramatically in ways that never would have been possible had we stayed put. What started as $100k/year soon became $150k and then $200k+, which, believe it or not, he took with him when he was offered a new position in a less expensive part of the country. And $200k+ buys you a pretty nice life most everywhere in the U.S. Yeah, we had some struggles in the beginning after moving to the Bay Area, but they were worth it. Everything is life is a trade off between risk and reward, and for us the reward was big.
#1 I am glad that you grasp the apparently difficult concept of cost of living.

#2 It sounds like you and your spouse are college educated and/or highly skilled - which means that your situation doesn't apply well as you wouldn't likely be in or near the minimum wage - considering you started at $100K years ago...which is way above minimum wage.

The point I am arguing is that a minimum wage salary of $9.25 goes farther in Kzoo than a minimum wage salary of $15 in San Fran....due to cost of living. Minimum wage workers are also far less likely to have a fast track to $200+K as you did... And don't forget, a $242K salary in San Fran is comparable to a $100K salary in Kzoo.

Another poster who does not grasp cost of living randomly accused me of making up this theory of cost of living because of Trump and Putin...weird...no lie, go look.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-18-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Some people like to live in a city where they are walking distance to everything. My sister is like that. That is their priority. I don't see an issue.
It becomes an issue when they complain about housing costs while working long hours at a job

Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
California has far more of an economy than North Dakota will ever have, so it is far more qualified to serve as an example of proper economics.
Which is great for wealthy elites, but sucks for the poor and middle class.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

It amazes me how the far-right continues to try to hold up states with stagnant, if not dying, economies, dwindling populations, and horrible weather as "success stories."

Do they understand that their extremist, hypocritical, and xenophobic political views won't work in any successful location? And if these right-wing realms are SOOOO great, why doesn't anyone want to move to them? Hmmm...
Actually, people flee to right-wing states like Texas, Arizona, and Utah. Those states have an increased amount of transplants in the past few decades. It's only a matter of time before cities in those states become overpopulated and cost of living skyrockets. That's why we direct people to North Dakota or Iowa.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Actually, people flee to right-wing states like Texas, Arizona, and Utah. Those states have an increased amount of transplants in the past few decades. It's only a matter of time before cities in those states become overpopulated and cost of living skyrockets. That's why we direct people to North Dakota or Iowa.
No wonder Dallas ranks so high for having gay rights. Liberals have been flocking there.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:01 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
California, once again, is ranked in last place while North Dakota leads in terms of middle class affordability. California residents are struggling to pay the bills and have to live amongst drug addicts and homeless overrunning their neighborhoods. Liberal policies are creating a sharp divide in this once great state where there is a rich, ruling class and everyone else is poor. Nearly half the state is in fact poor by this measure.

43% of U.S. families can't afford basics of middle class life

Additionally, liberal Seattle is doing as bad as San Francisco these days.
This fact in conjunction with the complete lack of empathy (in fact derisive towards the working class) of the Democrat Party elected Trump. I hope the policies now being put in place lifts all boats.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This thread is pretty much Exhibit A that people on C-D will argue anything. Now we have someone arguing that 9 is a bigger number than 15 because Trump or Putin or some other nutjob said so. LOL.
I am still shocked that you have never heard of the concept of cost of living varying from region to region and I am even more shocked that you weren't able to grasp the concept when I explained it to you with simple terms and a CNN link.

I am NOT shocked that you are claiming that Trump or Putin invented it as fake news.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...ed-low-income/

Quote:
In the high-priced Bay Area, even some households that bring in six figures a year can now be considered “low income.”

That’s according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which recently released its 2017 income limits — a threshold that determines who can qualify for affordable and subsidized housing programs such as Section 8 vouchers.
In a San Fran, a family of 4 making six figures can qualify as low income and receive government subsidies for housing.

This is not the case in Kzoo. Why? Cost of living is higher across the board in San Fran.

Lower income families priced out of California housing market | abc7news.com

Quote:
A new study confirms a trend that many have suspected.

With a median home price more than twice the national average, the Bay Area housing market is so expensive, many low and middle income families simply can't afford to live here anymore.
Can you find me an article with a study where middle income people are getting priced out of the Kzoo area?

Do you sincerely think this is Putin and Trump propaganda...

Tech workers squeezing out renters in San Francisco, Seattle,

Quote:
Low- and middle-income residents of San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle and other metro areas, are getting pushed out of their homes as an influx of deep pocketed tech workers drive up rents.
Rental rates for the 10 metro areas most dominated by tech companies rose by an average of 5.7% year-over-year through January, nearly twice the average 3% increase seen in the nation's 90 other largest cities. Certain cities have seen far bigger hikes: rents in San Francisco rose by 12.3%, to a median of $3,350 a month in January.
So if the national rent average only went up 3%, but it went up in San Fran by 12.3%....would someone in San Fran feel the squeeze more than in a place like Kzoo where it only went up 2%?

Are you ready to admit that due to cost of living a smaller amount of money can go farther in one location than a larger amount of money in another location? Or will you keep spouting off that I am an idiot espousing Trump and Putin propaganda by believing in cost of living differences?

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies