Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Are you saying the state of CA would not be happy if they could 100% eliminate very gun in their state?
Eliminating every gun in the state isn't possible, but adopting gun laws similar to places like Japan and Switzerland would be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 10:32 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

A 12 gauge WILL kill someone just as thoroughly as an AR15, but it won't kill as many nor will it kill them as quickly.
There have been shootings with the AR-15 that didn't kill 10. The reason was not that the gun couldn't shoot. The reason was that the shooter was stopped. A semi-auto 12 gauge holds only 5 rounds. Right there it blows a hole though your logic of blaming "high capacity" magazines and trying to ban them. You can't find a more "innocent" looking gun than a shotgun; something people associate with farmers and ranchers and yet it killed just as well. Banning all guns at least has some intellectual mooring but I suggest you start with somewhere and show us that it works, like Chicago's south side, before coming after mine.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Disarming the public won’t stop dangerous violent criminals
From harming the community
Harming dangerous violent criminals will

Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I find the hypocrisy of the anti gun left amusing.
They claim that it would be impossible to deport all 11 million illegals. I tend to agree with them if that were the only option. The other being to make life here impossible for them. make them self deport.
Guns. There are somewhere north of 310 million guns. Taking those guns, banning those guns would be an even more impossible task than deporting our unwanted illegals.

The Gun rights side who can be down right rabid at any hint of compromise, refuses to admit that we do have a gun problem in this country. I should say a shooter problem, as guns by themselves are about as dangerous as a kite. It takes a human to make a gun dangerous.

Every time a whack job and I dont give a damn what his hurt feelings are about, goes on a killing spree, it damages and hurts all of us lawful owners who have never and would never use a firearm to harm another person, other than in self-defense.

Forget the Boxers, the Pelosi's or the Bidens. They are anti-gun and nothing will ever change them. They after all enjoy armed security on the tax payer's dime.

I will say this there is a difference in attitudes when it's a mass shooter or just gang or thug violence. That mass shooter in the eyes of the left is representative of every legal gun owner. The many threads on this forum and the comments of many of those on the left demonstrate that fact.

Gang violence in an inner city? Dont you dare lump all into one group.
The gun owners on here will call out that mass shooter for what they are. We condemn them, we want the death penalty for them. We have no compassion, sense of mercy or willingness to make any excuses for them.
The same can not be said for those on the left who make excuses for inner-city crime.
Me? As a gun owner I have no issue with waiting periods, in-depth background checks, trigger locks or gun safes. We owners have room to tighten up because there are far to many accidental gun shot victims, due to poorly secured firearms.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ok, maybe only 80% glorify violence and feature some type of weapon. It is possible to make kiddy pics but the big hits are shoot them up, violent gun shooters.

Tyler Perry does not make block buster hits. His are middle of the road.
LMAO @ “Tyler Perry doesn’t make blockbuster hits!”

His movies ARE blockbusters in the niche his movies fill. He’s not trying to make The Avengers. He makes human stories with a solid ensemble cast. These are HUGELY profitable movies.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
The response SHOULD be "not an inch".

I don't care how many people become anti-NRA or anti-gun; their opinions mean less than nothing when it comes to the fundamental right of self defense. If these people honestly think they're on the correct side of this debate, they're cowards who will punish innocent and law-abiding citizens.

If 60% or 70% of the population (I'd argue the numbers aren't that high overall, but in cities and lefty-dominated areas, absolutely) want to ban something, it'll probably happen. But I can guarantee you it will never be enforced, just as has happened in NY and CT with their latest iterations of gun control laws.
You've swallowed the NRA pablum hook, line and sinker. Are you a gun person? I am. I have carry permits from three states giving me reciprocity in 30-something states. That means I've gone through three FBI background checks and CCW classes for those three states. Like you, I believe in the right to own firearms for self protection.

However, unlike you, I wish the bar were set higher for owning guns in this country. Much higher. Everyone needs to go through training and background checks. 18 y/o kids should not be allowed to buy semi-automatic rifles. We *need* to keep guns away from mental patients, criminals and kids.

But the NRA doesn't want any of that. They want criminals and mental patients to have guns. Because they know the big money is in arming both sides of a war. That doesn't help you (unless you're a criminal or a mental patient).

Remember the old adage, "if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck". I don't want a level playing field with criminals, mental patients and angry kids. And if you truly cared about your self-defense, neither would you.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hillary campaigned on Australian, and UK style gun bans, and confiscation. She called them "buy backs", but they are mandatory. You don't have a choice. So, yes that is the ultimate goal of the Left. More, and more are admitting that as the feel embolden by using these school shootings as a political tool. Never let a crisis go to waste!
We'll have another 1776 if the left tries to take our guns

Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We'll have another 1776 if the left tries to take our guns

No one is taking your guns, congress cant even get a background check through and you are worried about gun confiscation. A statement by one individual is meaningless, even if they did come for your guns you could always send the City Data 82nd Laptop Brigade after them.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 AM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You've swallowed the NRA pablum hook, line and sinker. Are you a gun person? I am. I have carry permits from three states giving me reciprocity in 30-something states. That means I've gone through three FBI background checks and CCW classes for those three states. Like you, I believe in the right to own firearms for self protection.

However, unlike you, I wish the bar were set higher for owning guns in this country. Much higher. Everyone needs to go through training and background checks. 18 y/o kids should not be allowed to buy semi-automatic rifles. We *need* to keep guns away from mental patients, criminals and kids.

But the NRA doesn't want any of that. They want criminals and mental patients to have guns. Because they know the big money is in arming both sides of a war. That doesn't help you (unless you're a criminal or a mental patient).

Remember the old adage, "if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck". I don't want a level playing field with criminals, mental patients and angry kids. And if you truly cared about your self-defense, neither would you.

No, I just believe in freedom and responsibility. I don't need nor want special government permission to exercise the fundamental right of self defense. Those in government aren't some special arbiters of privileges. Your position makes them that.

I am a former police officer, and a firearms instructor for law enforcement. I've taught cops, security personnel, and regular citizens alike. I strongly agree with training, but not a mandate for it. The criminal types will not seek out special training, and responsible citizens will do so without being required.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Yep. I'm a gun owner too. I have a carry permit (just renewed for 5 years). So I'm a 2nd amendment guy. And requiring people to jump through a few hoops to get a firearm is not repealing the 2nd amendment. We need to weed out the mental cases, straw purchasers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies