Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 AM

51,669 posts, read 25,904,681 times

Advertisements

Every January there is a point-in-time count of homeless people.

https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/#fn[]=1500&fn[]=2900&fn[]=6100&fn[]=10100&fn[]=14100

In Jan. 2017 the homeless count was

17,000+ in New Hampshire
14,000+ in Pennsylvania
10,000+ in Ohio
9,000+ in Michigan
7,000+ in Minnesota
5,000+ in Wisconsin

All of these are plenty nippy states in January.

It's not that all the homeless wander to Arizona or California for the winter.

It's that there are a lot of people who are homeless. Period.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:39 AM

BTW, I've worked on Crisis Response Teams and talked with all sorts of people who are homeless.

They are good people who struggle with mental health issues, cognitive impairments, horrific experiences, physical disabilities, ...

As we all do, they struggle the best way they can.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
There are too many homeless and nobody wants to look at them or live with their filth. We need to round them up and send them to poor farms/workhouses and have them grow vegetables like back in the good old days (my dad always said we were driving him to the poor house). For the druggies and the alkies it is treatment or termination. Same with the crazies. It is time to quit going all touchy-feely liberal with these people. Tough problems call for tough measures.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM

7,797 posts, read 6,416,354 times
The numbers change if you exclude illegals.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM

"Poor farms," were generally the last resort for the indigent elderly, the "feeble-minded," and the disabled.

They were often used as county workhouses where those who were at all able were forced to farm, clear county ditches, etc.

Most were a disgrace and many shut down amid scandals of one sort or another.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:06 AM

34,112 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sick of the moocher society. We have way too many people riding the wagon and too few pushing. I volunteered for a time at St. V's in PHX. We would be serving food and maybe someone would spill or drop something. All the able-bodied patrons would sit and stare waiting for a volunteer to clean the mess up. I am convinced that the vast majority of them are lazy bums - as we used to call them - who won't take any personal responsibility to improve their lives. Let them rot in a camp and get them off the streets. We should not have to rub elbow with the likes of them when going downtown.
I'd prefer homeless shelters which require work from the occupants to stay and be fed. Earn their keep. Have services also be mandatory where sermons can be spoken guiding them towards becoming productive members of society.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
37% of Arizona are registered repulicans. That means 63% -- the majority - are not. Seems like liberals could dig into their own pockets to help these folks if they want. Guessing many that volunteer at churches and rescue missions are either dems or republicans. If our debts weren't so high we would be in a better place to help our own citizens - instead of caring more about folks entering illegally. Become a fiscal conservative and help fix the system.
No they have had legislative control for some 20 years and continually cut into education. It is time for a change. Vote them all out.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you live in Maricopa County and don’t see homeless people, then you’re either blind, willfully ignorant, or impervious to your surroundings...or you live so deep in the County boondocks that sunshine has to get piped in.

I’m sorry, but it’s as simple as that. Not seeing homelessness as a serious issue in Maricopa County takes tremendous effort, and you must be working really hard at it.

People come out to visit and it’s one of the first things they notice.
I have a home in Scottsdale, and been residing on and off here in AZ for over 20 years. Compared to all the places Ive been around America, our homeless isn't even close to an epidemic. Ive lived in downtown Phoenix (12th street and Indian school) Biltmore area (24 st Camelback) throughout my college years and often visit friends in that area often today. I have friends in Glendale/Peoria, Tempe, Mesa, too and it isn't as bad as people make it out to be in this thread.

Homeless people wondering around in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley is as rare as hens teeth.

Do we have homeless people? absolutely! What big city doesn't? Epidemic? Not from what Ive seen.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:51 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
More fiction.

In Arizona, a qualified applicant can EASILY find a job. Illegals don’t find work in Arizona any easier than they do in Texas or Kansas. Texas is a bastion of illegal immigrant labor.

Northern Arizona is a better example.

Still, Texas has some pretty damn bitter winters with the exception of South Texas. North, East and West Texas has some of the most unpredictably cold weather in this country. In Abilene, it can be 70 on a winter day, and then an ice storm can hit in the evening. Same with Dallas.

Gee, another person who has no clue about me, telling me what I see and what I don't see!with two Republicans in the Senate and the majority of our Congressional Delegation is solidly right wing.

There’s no getting around it. We have homeless issues because it’s WARM here most of the year. Homeless people don’t go to rural areas because rural areas barely have enough services for their own residents, let alone the homeless.

Again for the millionth time: Arizona is a hardcore right wing conservative Republican State. The votes that the Republican Party garners here outstrip the number of registered Republicans. That’s why our Congressional Delegation is as red as blood.

Get real.

They don’t go anywhere. There’s nowhere to go. They bear it.

"again for the millionth time: Arizona is a hardcore right wing conservative Republican State."

for the MILLIONTH TIME, PHOENIX IS RUN BY THE DEMS AS WELL AS OTHER TEXAS CITIES.

And here we go AGAIN "for the millionth time" showing than dems will NEVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for THEIR actions.

Maybe you should READ what people write thoroughly BEFORE making condescending insults.

I SPECIFICALLY used Phoenix as an example because the claim inferred the entire state of Texas was overrun with the homeless and repubs are responsible.

I SUGGESTED it was NOT the ENTIRE state but, maybe certain CITIES, which the pictures provided look more like cities then rural areas, like Phoenix which IS RUN BY DEMS.

Sorry if that dosn't fit your narrative!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 05-20-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM

73,124 posts, read 62,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Texas is much colder in the winter than CA, FL and AZ.
Up in the Panhandle perhaps. But Houston, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, those cities have mild winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies