Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,336,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In my area, the armed security has been there for years. They are everywhere shopping malls, movie theaters etc. except for schools.

Please do not put armed security in schools. The media needs the dead children to sell news and push their anti gun agenda.

Not where I live. I haven't seen an armed security person anywhere but on an armored car picking up money. As for your comment about the media needing dead children to sell news---well, it's just ridiculous. They did all day coverage of the royal wedding yesterday and all I heard from the Right was bi*ching about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"After we finish.."

WE, is PUBLIC TAX DOLLARS.

If a PRIVATE company who owns a mall, etc, wants to do it it his HIS CHOICE

Our schools are---for the most part---public and that's what I was posting about as per the topic of this thread. But since you brought it up, a privately owned mall most likely can posted armed guards but it would probably make shoppers less likely to shop there, when they are reminded they'd be safer at home ordering off Amazon.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Not where I live. I haven't seen an armed security person anywhere but on an armored car picking up money. As for your comment about the media needing dead children to sell news---well, it's just ridiculous. They did all day coverage of the royal wedding yesterday and all I heard from the Right was bi*ching about that.

Our schools are---for the most part---public and that's what I was posting about as per the topic of this thread. But since you brought it up, a privately owned mall most likely can posted armed guards but it would probably make shoppers less likely to shop there, when they are reminded they'd be safer at home ordering off Amazon.
The world is a dangerous place. To pretend otherwise is foolish.

If you think the media doesn’t cheer when there are dead children, you have no idea about media business. A slow night is a death sentence. If they aren’t so obsessed with dead children, why do they go bananas every time there are dead children?

Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM

16,382 posts, read 10,502,800 times
Single point of entry with metal detectors and armed police. It's the only solution at this point. It will seem strange at first, as I'm sure it did when they started it at the airport. But now we have full body scanners and thorough screening and we have accepted it as the new normal.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM

13,269 posts, read 21,887,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Single point of entry
Pretty convenient for a sniper or bomber, eh?

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM

37,961 posts, read 17,935,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Pass laws that require parents with children under 21 to secure and lock all guns in the house. If a crime is committed with those guns by child, parent is charged with same crime. Send a few of these parents to jail and see if that doesn't stop most of these school shootings.
Because kids can't brake locks?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:52 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,830,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Single point of entry with metal detectors and armed police. It's the only solution at this point. It will seem strange at first, as I'm sure it did when they started it at the airport. But now we have full body scanners and thorough screening and we have accepted it as the new normal.
The problem with that is many high schools have more than one entry point. And many have several buildings on campus. The high school that I attended (many, many years ago) was designed that way with easy use and access for students and faculty. There were 3-4 entry points to the main building. Not counting the separate buildings for gym, music hall and cafeteria.

A few years ago I had a meeting with the principal of my local high school at his office. Although its style was totally different than my old high school, the separate buildings and access points were essentially the same. A single entry point simply would not work.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:13 PM

34,152 posts, read 17,220,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The problem with that is many high schools have more than one entry point. And many have several buildings on campus. The high school that I attended (many, many years ago) was designed that way with easy use and access for students and faculty. There were 3-4 entry points to the main building. Not counting the separate buildings for gym, music hall and cafeteria.

A few years ago I had a meeting with the principal of my local high school at his office. Although its style was totally different than my old high school, the separate buildings and access points were essentially the same. A single entry point simply would not work.

Lock them.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,830,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Lock them.

Nope, wouldn't work. Take a look at several larger suburban high schools in your area, you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 PM

34,152 posts, read 17,220,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nope, wouldn't work. Take a look at several larger suburban high schools in your area, you'll see what I mean.
Eastside High in Patterson, NJ had Principal Joe Clark lock the doors, so drug dealers could not get in. Locks work. Tons of doors. Big school.

Doors can still be opened from inside only during an emergency.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:55 PM

24,806 posts, read 9,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Hilarious. Think about how screwed up our society must be if we need armed guards at theaters, churches and concerts. The rest of the free world is laughing at us.
There’s a vehicle ramming/terrorist attack/mass shooting every year in Europe

Yeah, they’re laughing at us alright...
Quote:
On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people[2] and the injury of 458 others.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_attack

Quote:
The November 2015 Paris attacks were a series of coordinated terrorist attacks that occurred on Friday, 13 November 2015 in Paris, France and the city's northern suburb, Saint-Denis.

The attackers killed 130 people,[3] including 89 at the Bataclan theatre.[14] Another 413[5] people were injured,[15] almost 100 seriousl
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nove..._Paris_attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies