Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Exactly. Please don’t make things difficult for the mass murderers. The media needs higher body count!
The public seems to have an insatiable need for information about mass shootings. Despite the media coverage, no shortage of people seem to believe there’s a cover up.

The conspiracy theory folks waste no time confronting grieving families with accusations their dead child never existed.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The vast majority of these kids have the exact same profile. A loner that constantly gets picked on.

"He wears a trenchcoat every day, and it's like 90 degrees out here," Severin said.

Pagourtzis, Severin added, was the victim of bullying — and not just by other students.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hooter-n875341

Even when the problem exists and is known, it still happens.....remember the last school shooter? Police called on him 30+ times? But the school wanted to be nicer to the kids...

It's 90+ degrees here in Alabama, walking through Wal-Mart...I see people in zipped up coats....weird, damn right...does not mean it does not happen.

However, I agree with you, but the mentality of todays adults and children of the "see something say something" is out the door, because if you do, then you're seen as the snitch, racist, homophobic...or just put any words you want here_________.....

Remember the shooting in California, the neighbors said they thought something was suspicious but did not want to say anything just because of what I stated above.

Last edited by chucksnee; 05-21-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 06:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Someone needs to have an issue if the gun they have purchased legally is not stored properly. That should be part of a liability policy on ones house or apt..

If you do not store your weapons properly and a child gets its hands on it, uses it to commit a crime, the parent should be held responsible.

Responsible people understand.

What is "properly"?

Am I still at fault if they trespass on my private land, break into my house, search without permission to get my guns?

Why am I being held at fault for someone breaking the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That solution seems to be quite obvious, not perfect but easily done and raise the age to 21 for ownership.

Below is a picture from some university's freshman orientation.

https://i0.wp.com/www.society19.com/...00%2C492&ssl=1

Okay, say I'm a bad person and to me, they look quite delectable and even better, I know that they, under your proposal, are without the means to defend themselves.

Sounds like an ideal situation for a bad person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We already have armed officers on school campuses.

It doesn't stop anything.

Quit letting kids get access to guns.

That'll solve most of these. We cannot end ALL school violence. But, we can end a pretty good chunk of it if Junior cannot grab daddy's guns and go shoot the girl who won't date him and some of the other kids he thinks looked at him funny sometimes.

Come on. That's the solution. Not all this militarization of school campuses.

Will it solve most of these?

In other countries when a man gets mad at a woman who won't reply to him, this is what happens, they use acid:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-21st-birthday

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-21-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes I can - -it's all pretend. You can't tell me what to pretend or not. And we were talking about armed guards at the front door. That's all I have to address.

If you think armed teachers would save the world -- doesn't matter -- that armed guard is still dead -- oh and the thousands of kids walking into school too. Teachers are still in their break room or classroom.

LOL...so make up your own scenario, don't bring in any other aspects...just your own little world...you're right, because you made it up the way the you feel everything will be exactly as you say....

BTW, didn't this shooter go into the classroom and yell "surprise"?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Even when the problem exists and is known, it still happens.....remember the last school shooter? Police called on him 30+ times? But the school wanted to be nicer to the kids...
We will never stop every instance no matter what we do but you are making my point. We knew there was a problem here. What is the exact solution to that? I'm not sure BUT we will never get anywhere until that is the discussion. So many want to make it about guns from one point or the other (less or more) and that is never going to go anywhere.

Quote:
It's 90+ degrees here in Alabama, walking through Wal-Mart...I see people in sipped up coats....weird, damn right...does not mean it does not happen.

However, I agree with you, but the mentality of todays adults and children of the "see something say something" is out the door, because if you do, then you're seen as the snitch, racist, homophobic...or just put any words you want here_________.....

Remember the shooting in California, the neighbors said they thought something was suspicious but did not want to say anything just because of what I stated above.
I disagree with seeing something random and snitching. See a kid with a jacket on in June? No, mind your own business. All or most of these types have had long term issues.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"But ...those "Gun Restrictions" never get passed!"

I think the number of gun laws on the books is now OVER 2,000 so I guess your "never get passed" is flat out WRONG.

"Just how many guns did Obama confiscate?"

What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

I did NOT mention him so, wt bring him up.

But, being you DID, Obama TRIED to pass another so-called "assault weapons" ban which many dems would not support because after Clinton's they LOST a LOT of seats and even control of the House in congress.

"Democrats are well aware that they lost control of the House of Representatives in 1994, the year President Bill Clinton signed the original legislation, and have shied away from the issue of gun control, while Republican leaders have opposed the ban."

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/p...s-on-hill.html

So the truthful answer is none BUT NOT FOR A LACK OR TRYING.
Columbine happened while the assault weapons ban was still in place. It didn’t stop this problem, and no amount of new laws will either.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL...so make up your own scenario, don't bring in any other aspects...just your own little world...you're right, because you made it up the way the you feel everything will be exactly as you say....

BTW, didn't this shooter go into the classroom and yell "surprise"?
So you are saying it couldn't happen that way?

Of course I made it up -- just like folks make up the scenarios where armed teachers come to the rescue.

It's all made up

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"

Missouri 11-year-old fatally shoots 16-year-old intruder | Fox News

www.foxnews.com/us/.../missouri-11-year-old-fatally-shoots-16-year-old-intruder.ht...

Sep 4, 2015 - An 11-year-old boy shot and killed a 16-year-old boy during an attempted ... The would-be burglar's body was found in the home's front foyer.

South Carolina Boy, 13, Fatally Shoots Burglar, Scares Off Second ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/.../south-ca...glar-wounds-se...

Nov 12, 2015 - A 13-year-old South Carolina boy fatally shot one burglary suspect and ... Related: Man Arrested After Home Invasion in Which 11-Year-Old ..."

I guess you prefer these teens being KILLED instead of being able to use a GUN for self defense!

I swear I don't think many of you CAN THINK past your noses!
Hey genius, the examples you cite actually undermine your case. There was no indication that the children's lives were threatened. You do not have the right to kill someone just for breaking into your house. Even under Missouri's new "stand your ground" law, you must have a reasonable cause to believe your life is in danger to use deadly force.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't know much about guns, but I suspect, like anything else, if an armed guard is taken by surprise -- say first thing in the morning as a thousand kids head for the door -- one of them has a gun and starts shooting - the armed guard first....how does that protect anybody.

The folks who are mass shooters aren't worried about 'being caught'.
The mass shooters act on an element of surprise, shock, in the moment.
The ASSumption is that by arming others -- those others will be ready to fight back.

How many times are police officers gunned down they armed and trained and often ready for some kind of fight back and stil they are killed.
It has a major inhibiting effect. Not a single judge has been killed inside a courtroom again since they installed metal detectors.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It has a major inhibiting effect. Not a single judge has been killed inside a courtroom again since they installed metal detectors.
Metal detectors good idea -- but in schools where there are 4000 kids -- that line up to go through the metal detectors, emptying their pockets.....putting their book bags. Now e are talking TSA kind of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies