Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Say I'm walking through the ghetto at night and I get mugged. Well, perhaps I shouldn't have walked through the ghetto at night alone huh?

Say I'm a girl who decides to get drunk and high on God knows what drugs in the middle of a bunch of hypersexualized jocks who have always been taught that girls were just playthings.

Why is it that we can't bring up some basic common sense safety tips without being accused of victim blaming?

Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Say I'm walking through the ghetto at night and I get mugged. Well, perhaps I shouldn't have walked through the ghetto at night alone huh?

Say I'm a girl who decides to get drunk and high on God knows what drugs in the middle of a bunch of hypersexualized jocks who have always been taught that girls were just playthings.

Why is it that we can't bring up some basic common sense safety tips without being accused of victim blaming?
You are free to say whatever you want. People are free to call you out on being an insensitive jerk. If you have a specific case in mind go ahead and start a thread on it. Nobody is stopping you.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
Let me spell it out for you.

It doesn't matter what a woman does, she doesn't get blamed for a man forcing his penis into any of her orifices without permission. EVER.

Read this until your eyes bleed. NEVER WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post

It doesn't matter what a woman does, she doesn't get blamed for a man forcing his penis into any of her orifices without permission. EVER.

It's really that simple.

OP has a warped perspective on this.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:45 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:

For example, teaching your little sister about how to reduce risk in social situations is helpful. But telling a rape victim "I told you so" is at least insensitive, no?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
...because feminists have staked out their territory on this issue. Women, they've decided, may do whatever they want. Period. They may not be limited in how they behave, not even by common sense, and defending this claim is a far higher priority than any woman's safety.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...because feminists have staked out their territory on this issue. Women, they've decided, may do whatever they want. Period. They may not be limited in how they behave, not even by common sense, and defending this claim is a far higher priority than any woman's safety.
Do you have daughters? Or sisters? Or a mother? Why don't you go talk to them, or any woman, and tell them that the reason for rape is the way they dress? Let us know how that goes for you once you heal up.

It isn't feminism to blame the man who commits the rape; it's simple logic. Quite frankly, I don't care if a woman walks down the street naked. If a man assaults her because of what she is(n't) wearing he has broken the non-aggression principle and needs to either spend the rest of his life behind bars or be given an object lesson in how a bull is turned into a steer.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Quite frankly, I don't care if a woman walks down the street naked. If a man assaults her because of what she is(n't) wearing he has broken the non-aggression principle and needs to either spend the rest of his life behind bars or be given an object lesson in how a bull is turned into a steer.
Meanwhile, the woman has still suffered an assault, one that might have been avoided had she acted with common sense.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:07 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Meanwhile, the woman has still suffered an assault, one that might have been avoided had she acted with common sense.
No question that rape can be avoided in many cases through common sense, and I teach my daughters to practice safety at all times. However, looking at a woman after she has been raped and saying "You could have avoided this by doing X, Y, or Z" isn't something that anyone should do. The time to discuss common sense and rape avoidance is before the rape, not immediately after it.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's really that simple.

OP has a warped perspective on this.
The bottom line is, they weren't there and it did not happen to them. Some appear to not have compassion or understanding, where other men do. Even if a woman passes out for whatever reason, it is not her fault if having been taken advantage of.

It's easy for one to say to another, "Well, you should not have been walking alone", "You should not have gone to a club that night", "You should not have had anything to drink", "You should not have been alone with that guy", "You should not have had vistiors and become under the influence". Of course, there is common sense involved, to not invite trouble, placing a female in the situation of having to be "on guard". With the kinds of societal situations that have continued to exist, it unfortunately allows for opportunities of risk.

Somewhat related - I had a male neighbor mention the "me too movement", implying it had "gotten out of hand". After going over some points about it with him, how one proven false claim does create doubt and a negative outlook, I thought I should have stressed that his not being a woman makes a difference. Though there may be those making false claims, which undoubtedly is not the majority, it creates an attitude of "if one is fake, most others must be".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies